Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

R1/R6 Regulator/Rectifier Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by CyberBeast
Make sure its not just your battery thats dropped a cell.
Use a multimeter and give the bike some revs to see what voltage comes through, around 15.5v should be normal.

To be honest most RR's fit... just make sure they have connections, 1x positive, 1x negative and 3x for the pulse generator.
These R1 or R6 units are suitable because of there decent size and large heatsink to disperse the heat.
You will probably find that they are the same on most Suzuki's like the GSXF, Bandit etc.
Ebays your tool for pics and details.
Thanks again for the excellent advice. I will grab my multimeter and check that out today!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Squid

CyberBeast is on a distinguished road
No probs.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
I went out and tested it. From 2.5k-6.5k no voltage difference. It was idleing at 2.5k because i had the choke out. She usually idles at about 1100. But anyways, 14V no matter what. So it is somewhat charging, but not much. Without bike on, the battery is at 12.8V. I ordered up a new rectifier 04 R6 rectifier. Does this make sense with a bad rectifier? I never tested my previous one because my battery blew up, so i knew it was bad.
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I'd be willing to bet you'll be fine with the 14V, but better than to be safe than sorry and get that new one in. My last one was upwards of 18V
Old 05-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Squid

You should be getting over 15.5v
Looks like the R/R could be faulty...
Old 05-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Well, it is true. I officially have had the first r1 rectifier to go bad. I only got 2 years of use out of it, probably less then 6k miles. The other night i was taking a friend home and Damn it just kept flashing between bright and standard. I had it on brights, but it didnt matter. I was really worried. The new rectifier came in the mail that day and i popped it in yesterday. No problems at all. No more flashing. I think it was overcharging. At idle it was running at 14v. Idle it should be lower. It also wouldn't change if i reved it. The new one at idle is around 13.7 or 13.8. I didn't have an extra pair of hands to rev it, so i am not sure how high it goes. All i know is that it works great!

Last edited by viperkillertt; 05-26-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:25 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by viperkillertt
Well, it is true. I officially have had the first r1 rectifier to go bad. I only got 2 years of use out of it, probably less then 6k miles. The other night i was taking a friend home and Damn it just kept flashing between bright and standard. I had it on brights, but it didnt matter. I was really worried. The new rectifier came in the mail that day and i popped it in yesterday. No problems at all. No more flashing. I think it was overcharging. At idle it was running at 14v. Idle it should be lower. It also wouldn't change if i reved it. The new one at idle is around 13.7 or 13.8. I didn't have an extra pair of hands to rev it, so i am not sure how high it goes. All i know is that it works great!
Any part can fail, and just because the R1 unit is better than the stock VTR one doesn't mean it is perfect. Glad you figured it out.

Only 6k miles in two years? You gotta get out riding more!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by lazn
Any part can fail, and just because the R1 unit is better than the stock VTR one doesn't mean it is perfect. Glad you figured it out.

Only 6k miles in two years? You gotta get out riding more!
Hehe I do ride every day. Once spring hits, it becomes my main transportation. I only use the supra for dates and moving things around. I just don't waste much fuel. I only drive where i "need" to go and i don't go on many riding trips. Once I get my big engineering job and i am making big money, i might do it more, but i still feel it is pretty wasteful. It is just me. I am a big tree hugger.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Honda says the R/R should be putting out LESS than 15.5V when running at 5,000 rpm.

Running too high a voltage will fry your solid state circuitry.

If your old one was 14V at idle, and the new part was quarter volt difference, then that in itself wasn't the issue. You have to actually rev it to see if the regulator is doing its job and limiting the voltage rise, I doubt it would ever need to regulate at idle.

Glad your bike is working, but I see a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Maybe you just had a loose connection. It's a good idea to solder those spade connectors (with R/R disconnected) and use bulb grease on the connections to prevent corrosion.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Like CentralCoaster said... A working R/R should put out 14.5-15V at revs... Absolute max 15.5V... Above that you risk damaging stuff... At idle it should put out 13.5-14V with a minimum of around 12.5V... That means it's at all times above battery current...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:03 PM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Honda says the R/R should be putting out LESS than 15.5V when running at 5,000 rpm.

Running too high a voltage will fry your solid state circuitry.

If your old one was 14V at idle, and the new part was quarter volt difference, then that in itself wasn't the issue. You have to actually rev it to see if the regulator is doing its job and limiting the voltage rise, I doubt it would ever need to regulate at idle.

Glad your bike is working, but I see a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Maybe you just had a loose connection. It's a good idea to solder those spade connectors (with R/R disconnected) and use bulb grease on the connections to prevent corrosion.
Yes, as i said earlier, it didnt matter what i did, it stuck at 14 with my old one. I would rev it upto 6k and no change. It just stuck at 14. The new one is making the bike run perfectly. If i find someone to hold one of the multimeter terminals, i will check what the new one is at 6k. Thanks for replying.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Ok guys,
I am still having some serious issues. The new Rectifier worked like a champ for 2 days and then well, it just dont. Last night at 1am on the way home, it almost went out half the time. If it was in standard brightness, it would flicker the brights on, with the light on the cluster, just like the last one. I am so confused. Anyone have any other ideas? I am thinking about cutting off the ends of the terminals and re soldering them. Is there anything else that might cause this insanity?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Test your Stator.. Circuit_burner posted a how to on here, I think in the Knowledge Base section.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Test your Stator.. Circuit_burner posted a how to on here, I think in the Knowledge Base section.
Ahh, thank you.
-Josh
Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Here's the link:
http://www.motovoltage.com/tech.htm

He also posted it in my stator thread.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:47 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Dont know if this has been stated yet but what is the condition of the battery?

My bike took a dump last week, it was due to a battery that was unable to take a charge. the extra voltage went back into the R/R and fried it along with a connection in the plug.

I replaced both and the bike is now extremely happy.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by viperkillertt
Yes, as i said earlier, it didnt matter what i did, it stuck at 14 with my old one. I would rev it upto 6k and no change. It just stuck at 14.
If it's charging at 14V, even at 6000 rpm, it's fine. Hopefully whatever else is going on didn't fry your new regulator.

Who knows, your old one may still be good too. A bad regulator will kill a battery and a bad battery will kill a regulator. I would try a new battery next, especially if you can just snag one off another bike temporarily.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Josh
Superstock

viperkillertt
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
If it's charging at 14V, even at 6000 rpm, it's fine. Hopefully whatever else is going on didn't fry your new regulator.

Who knows, your old one may still be good too. A bad regulator will kill a battery and a bad battery will kill a regulator. I would try a new battery next, especially if you can just snag one off another bike temporarily.
Yeah, I wasn't worried about he battery because it is not even 2 seasons old. So i wouldn't expect it to be bad already.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Squid

V-twin man is on a distinguished road
REg/rec swap HELP

So I follow the instructions to the letter and strip the wiwres, and solder the ends, and crimp on female spades. I see where the two power wires are not put on the new reg/rec the way they come off of the stock unit, but are reversed.
All is well I put about 300 miles oon teh conversion and the other day on the way to a club ride ( with the alternator chargingh at 14 volts) I stopped and when I tried to restart NO JUICE in thte battery, had to be bump started. Headed for hhome all the while the voltage was droppin down. Got down trhe road and figured that the Yamaha reg/rec (part #4jh-81960-01) was the cullprit I stopped and put the Honda part back on (carried as a spare). No change, and the bike was running on batteery alone again. Got within 8n milies of home and she quit.
Took battery out, came back with a different one (from my wee-strom) and was aable to get home allright.
Tested the crap out of every wire and connector in the battery rectifier area for charge, for continuity and whatever.
Getting all kinds of results, not charging to 15,? that the manual says it shhould.
An inline test shows a 10, 8,4 amp draw going to the fuse(10) amp that goes to the odometer.???
GEt really pissed off and ride her down to the hONDA SHOP, THEY HAVE HAD IT FOR A FEW DAYS AND COME UP WITH 0,NADA ZILCH. Honda tech in Cali is of no help. So I telll the shop to quit looking for an answer, and that I will try the gurus on the Super hawk forum.
So, ha s anyone out here had the same problem ?
Should I start all over, or what?
Please do not make your replies too techy for me, or too condescending. Assume that I am a total noob (which I am) in matters concerning wires and ohms and volts, and amps and etc>

Thanks
Paul Roz ( V-twin Man)
Old 06-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Squid

V-twin man is on a distinguished road
Help!

Hey! How come nobody has replied to my questions from yesterday?

V-twin man
Old 06-12-2009, 09:56 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
If you did the simple Stator testing and it checks out , its the R/R.
I know a lot of people use the yamaha parts as conversion, but you buy them used, this is what you get.
Its like buying a used tire. The longer they are ridden fast, the closer to BBQ they become. Buy a used one and you dont know how long the BBQ has been in the oven.

I will post the end-all of R/R and stator pages very soon.
It will feature an animated charging system that includes everything from the stator operation to the R/R operation to the battery. I think it would be of great utility for everyone. At the end, a big loud nasty pop-up will flash onto the screen in an attempt to hypnotize you and make you buy a Blue Tungsten Rectifier! muhahaha !

No, just kidding about that. But the diagram will shed a lot of light as to why these things ( stators and Rectifiers ) do what they do , and die hard deaths.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
4 of 5 wires done, cant wait to get this sloppy jalopy back on the road. Used 2007 R6S reg/rect.
Attached Thumbnails R1/R6 Regulator/Rectifier Swap-image_278.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Squid

DaFrPa is on a distinguished road
Amp output?

Is there a definitive answer on the stock stator's peak amp output? I've seen 'about 22' (which I'm inclined to believe) in one thread, and 'nearly 40' on the OP's site. It looks like a lot of replacements have been 35A units. I've got a 35A FH001 ready to go and an (35-50??) FH010 on the way after the stock seat heater/RR burned up* - any solid measurements would be greatly appreciated - cheers!

*stator checks out OK, no burnt connectors, battery takes charge to 13V+, Eastern Beaver's Furukawa connectors arrived quickest...just about rolling again!

Last edited by DaFrPa; 08-31-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Back Marker

01SuperChicken is on a distinguished road
Anyone used a newer 2007+ R1 regulator? The one I got for the right price (free), has 2 connections. I think it's a '07...

Looking for info on it, but no luck so far.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 PM
Squid

Not seen a R1 '2007 R/R up close.
If its only got two connections, im pretty sure this wont work.
You need your positive and negative connections along with 3 connections for pickup/pulse.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Back Marker

I think I got the year wrong...2003?
Old 11-05-2009, 12:45 PM
Squid

If it looks like the one in the pic then its a 2002 onwards.
Not sure on the two connection blocks on the bottom, but as long as you can connect a positive and a negative and 3 wires for the pickup/pulse using female spade connectors then you should be fine.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Back Marker

Just not sure where to connect voltage....can't find a pin-out/schematic...was hoping someone would have traveled this path before me....
Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Look for a service manual for the R1...
Old 11-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Squid

Its been discussed but maybe its because your fitting a more modern unit R/R.

As far as i can see from a wiring diagram, the grey socket houses 3 connections for the pulse/pickup wires and the black socket houses 2 connections for the negative (+) and positive (-).

The diagram below will show which order the (+) and (-) fits.

Last edited by CyberBeast; 11-05-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: R1/R6 Regulator/Rectifier Swap