Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

MOSFET Regulator/Rectifiers - The Why & The How

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 12:26 PM
mad skill collector
Squid

YOUNGJESTER is on a distinguished road
Tweety, great semiconductor r/r info. .I believe both MOSFET and Thyristor devices and for that matter all diodes,batteries and conductors, have smoke inside that makes them work.
I know this because when I let the smoke out...... It stops working.
My advice is to not let the smoke out and your electrical system will be fine..

peace...
Old 04-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by YOUNGJESTER
I know this because when I let the smoke out...... It stops working.
My advice is to not let the smoke out and your electrical system will be fine..

peace...
Well then all you need is some of this......

MOSFET Regulator/Rectifiers - The Why & The How-smokekit2.jpg

Lucas Replacement Smoke Kit
Old 04-23-2011, 01:57 PM
mad skill collector
Squid

How about that! now I can fix that box of parts I have and sell 'em on ebay...
Old 04-23-2011, 01:59 PM
mad skill collector
Squid

right next to my dehydrated water emergency kits-
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
Got my Fh011 R/R from an R1 today. are there any pics of cut R/Rs? My bike is 30 miles away and I would like to cut it here in my garage first. Also when crimping the spade connectors do yall solder them as well?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:47 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle
Got my Fh011 R/R from an R1 today. are there any pics of cut R/Rs? My bike is 30 miles away and I would like to cut it here in my garage first. Also when crimping the spade connectors do yall solder them as well?
Why do you need pictures? The body of the R/R is the same shape as the one with smaller fins, so just cut off all the "overhang" leaving a small ridge out from the body in height, and it's fine...

The correct way of doing the connectors is to lightly tin the wire first, then crimp, and then solder... Just make sure not to make it too bulky, since it won't fit the waterproof connectors then...

If you are skimping on the waterproof connectors, read this... I posted it in another thread...

No... You should not... The reason for the Eastern Beaver plugs for the newer kawi R/R's are that they are waterproof, and that also means corrosion proof (to a point)... The older kawi plugs are not, and neither are the stock Honda plugs, so those are fairly useless...

What you should do, is use standard connectors like the one's you got... But first strip the wire and solder it, and then crimp the connector on, and then once that's done, solder over the crimp... That way you have no place for corrosion or resistance to build up...

Than when that's done, get a heatgun and shrinktube with hotglue inside... When you isolate each connector with that, letting it go over both the actual connector, and a good bit up on the wire... That makes it waterproof...

Then put a fairly large dab of white vaseline into each connector before putting them on... That seals them as best as possible...
Old 05-03-2011, 08:48 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I was asking because I wanted to keep some of the fins and it is worrisome to cut off so much.

Yikes thats allot of cutting!

Also if you have trouble figuring out what to buy this looks like it.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:57 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle
I was asking because I wanted to keep some of the fins and it is worrisome to cut off so much.

Yikes thats allot of cutting!

Also if you have trouble figuring out what to buy this looks like it.
Depending on how you mount it you probably only need to cut an inch or so off..

I'd wait till I could test fit it before cutting though. Just bring a hacksaw, I doubt that is super tough material.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

I hope its just aluminum. This thing must weigh over a pound maybe 2 or more.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
What exactly is a "shunt series circuit" type R/R? I'm assuming it's not MOSFET, but is it the same as "thyristor" type?
Old 05-26-2011, 03:25 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by evines
What exactly is a "shunt series circuit" type R/R? I'm assuming it's not MOSFET, but is it the same as "thyristor" type?
A "shunt" is basically the term for shortcircuiting the excess to ground... Both the MOSFET and the tyristor R/R's are shunt type... The are functionally the same... But the MOSFET are infinitely more efficient and won't produce uncontollable amounts of heat doing their work... Simple as that...

The most effient type of R/R is the series type... And obviously the most efficient way of constructing that is by using MOSFETS... But it's also a lot more expensive, and while it's efficient it has a few other drawbacks, like being a bit fragile... It will not blow other stuff up, or overcharge stuff... But if you push the limits you are still walking home...

Best middle way, and best bang for your buck... A used MOSFET based shunt type R/R...
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
the terms shunt series/series shunt are generally used when working with amplifiers, such as current or voltage amplifiers. basically a current source amplifying a voltage or a voltage source amplifying a current.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I installed a FH008 reg/rec from a 2007 CBR600RR on my 2001 VTR last week. My bike had about 83,000 km. on it when I did the conversion from the original stock finned non-mosfet reg/rec to the mosfet reg/rec.
Before I did the conversion, I measured the voltage at the battery: voltage with the engine off was 13.07, voltage at idle was 14.17, voltage at 3500 rpm. was 13.3. After the conversion: voltage with the engine off was 12.7, voltage at idle was 13.83, voltage at 3500 rpm. was 14.05.
A few days later, I measured voltage again with a different meter: voltage with the engine off was 12.77, voltage at idle was 13.82, voltage at 4000 rpm. was 13.92.
I was hoping for 14.1 to 14.5 volts because some of the others who had done the conversion got readings within that range. I cleaned the connectors but cleaning them made no difference. It should be noted that I connected the FH008 to the existing wiring loom. I may have gotten higher readings if I had wired the reg/rec directly to the battery.
There were some benefits that I did not expect. The bike warmed up more quickly and was less prone to stalling. Throttle response improved noticeably. My heated vest was noticeably warmer.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:34 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by comedo
I installed a FH008 reg/rec from a 2007 CBR600RR on my 2001 VTR last week. My bike had about 83,000 km. on it when I did the conversion from the original stock finned non-mosfet reg/rec to the mosfet reg/rec.
Before I did the conversion, I measured the voltage at the battery: voltage with the engine off was 13.07, voltage at idle was 14.17, voltage at 3500 rpm. was 13.3. After the conversion: voltage with the engine off was 12.7, voltage at idle was 13.83, voltage at 3500 rpm. was 14.05.
A few days later, I measured voltage again with a different meter: voltage with the engine off was 12.77, voltage at idle was 13.82, voltage at 4000 rpm. was 13.92.
I was hoping for 14.1 to 14.5 volts because some of the others who had done the conversion got readings within that range. I cleaned the connectors but cleaning them made no difference. It should be noted that I connected the FH008 to the existing wiring loom. I may have gotten higher readings if I had wired the reg/rec directly to the battery.
There were some benefits that I did not expect. The bike warmed up more quickly and was less prone to stalling. Throttle response improved noticeably. My heated vest was noticeably warmer.
I'm willing to bet that you have some corrosion at some parts in your electric system... It really shouldn't matter if you re-use your old loom as long as it's in good order... But yeah, direct connected is better...
Old 06-14-2011, 06:01 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice, Tweety. I'll check and clean all the connectors on the wiring from the stator to the reg/rec and from the reg/rec to the battery the next time I've got a free afternoon.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:16 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Here is another MOSFET R/R. It was OEM on 2002-03 R1 YZF1000. Yamahaha
p/n 5BN-81960-00-00. Shindengen p/n FH001 have no idea the amps rating, as the list from Shin-ding-dong (Shindengen) that was posted only included FH012 and FH019. Based on the p/n and listed amp ratings, this one is most likely lower amps. How low? Your guess? I will say that it has been on my SH for 6 or 7 months with no problems. I initially checked the output voltage and was satisfied, though I don't recall the exact volts.
Also for those of you in dry climates and too cheap, or waiting for Eastern Beaver R/R conversion harness to arrive (me) you can remove the Honda stock plastic plug without cutting it off. This saves the trouble of cutting, crimping/ soldering. If you look inside the plug you will see a tab protruding from the female terminals inside the plastic plug. Depress this tab. I believe there is a tool to do this very task, but since I don't own one I used a flattened piece of safety wire (a small jewelers screwdriver might work) pushed into the plug forcing the tab out of engagement and simply pull the wire out of the plug. Then just install the female terminals on the new R/R terminals. It's a clean connection, but be careful of the exposed part of the spade terminal touching the frame of the bike, or you will let smoke out of the system and things wont work so well anymore.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
Squid

nick_packer is on a distinguished road
Try this one out: Will run you $95

Honda VTR1000 Esport Regulator Rectifier - Super Duty - ESR587 by Electro Sport

or for a complete MOSFET upgrade look on eBay for a UNIVERSAL MOTORCYCLE REGULATOR & UPGRADE KIT MOSFET by SHINDENGEN: Will run you $125

UNIVERSAL MOTORCYCLE REGULATOR & UPGRADE KIT MOSFET | eBay
Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 AM
Squid

nick_packer is on a distinguished road
I just ran into some trouble with my bike. Bought a new battery because the first one died (I think because of the R/R now), then this new one died within 2 days. Had to push start it. Got it running, figured I would get on the highway for a bit to charge the battery, had my lights and instruments all go off on me but the bike kept running. Made it back home, but that's where it sits now until I get the fix...

I'm hoping its my R/R. I really hate spending money on something and not having it be the correct fix if you know what I mean. Is there anyway to tell? I hope those are the symptoms of a bad R/R. I looked it up and read all I could read on the forum here. Learned alot from Mr. Tweety in all the reading. What are your suggestions with the 2 things I have listed above? I also have the link to buy the R6/R1 R/R and do the mod from the Firestorm / SuperHawk (VTR1000F) Regulator Rectifier Modification website. I'm not sure what to follow. I of course want the cheapest route.

Someone please help me!!
Old 07-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
nick_packer,

Look at this link: http://www.electrosport.com/technica...ng-diagram.pdf

This is a flow chart that walks you through how to test your electrical system to see what's messed up. I used this chart, and it worked for me. If you have basic knowledge of how to use a multimeter, or can learn how to use a multimeter, then you can follow this chart.

Out of ignorance, I bought the Electrosport R/R just over a year ago, and it has worked for me so far (for just over a year). It pumps out a little bit too much voltage though, at 14.75V constant at all RPM. From what I've read, this is likely too high for a typical battery, and might shorten the life of the battery over time (although I haven't had any problems yet). And it's NOT a MOSFET.

If it is your R/R causing your problems, which it's very likely that it is, I would use a MOSFET type, either the SHINDENGEN one you linked to on eBay, or an R6/R1 R/R if you can find one cheap. Or any other MOSFET type listed in this thread for that matter.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nick_packer
I'm not sure what to follow. I of course want the cheapest route.

Someone please help me!!
Well... Your options are cheap rigth now, or cheap in the long term...

The whatever cheap stuff is a band-aid... It gets your bike running now, for a low cost, but it will cost you in the end once you start needing to replace batteries, ECU/CDI's and burnt wiring...

Spend the time cleaning out corroded wiring/connectors, and spend the money for a MOSFET R/R and it will end up costing you less in the long run...

But the choice is yours to make...
Old 10-22-2011, 11:47 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Tweety, another great thread.
As mentioned on another post your info always is appreciated. On my '87 VFR700F2, the corroded burned connector was the three yellow wires from the stator to the R/R. Both sides of the connector had black heat marks on two of the wires. Corroded rusted spades. One wire connection was fine with shiny spades. I will be soldering the three yellow wires with shrink wrap and just bypass the connector totally.

R/R problems are also a big problem on the VFRs apparently from the VFRWorld site.
Got practice from when mine went out on my '98 SH about 7 years ago. I Never
had the problem with the connector frying though. I Better check the S/H too.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Another great education from Markus.

I have just ordered a Shindengen MOSFET R/R (model no. FH012AA, in kit form with instructions for dummies like myself) on eBay following the read. Better off spending a few dollars to protect my electrical system, especially my ($$) Li-ion battery.

Thanks again Markus
Old 03-04-2012, 09:35 AM
SuperHawk Outsider
Squid

deadsmiley is on a distinguished road
I don't own a SuperHawk. I own a 1998 VFR. The VFR R/R is notoriously bad. I came accross this thread in my search for R/R solutions.

I joined this site for the sole purpose of saying thanks to Tweety.

Thanks!

Kelly
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by deadsmiley
I don't own a SuperHawk. I own a 1998 VFR. The VFR R/R is notoriously bad. I came accross this thread in my search for R/R solutions.

Thanks!

Kelly
I think at some point or another Tweety has saved every motorcycle rider on the planet..
Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
I think at some point or another Tweety has saved every motorcycle rider on the planet..
I can safely say he has made several contributions to saving my bike from certain failure.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by deadsmiley

Thanks!

Kelly
Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad it helped you...
Old 03-31-2012, 07:47 AM
Squid

Brother J is on a distinguished road
Tweety: Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge. I really appreciate your time and effort in helping us through this issue.

This morning I replaced the OEM R/R with a MOSFET unit. I used the OEM female connector for a clean and easy connection. That said, it took some time to dig out the soldered connections from the epoxy and then use a heat gun to get the OEM connector out in one piece. Then it was a matter of soldering up the connections and testing for continuity. I epoxied up the soldered area to provide better strain relief since there was no way to crimp the wires onto the connections. Now, I have peace of mind that I won't be stranded by failure of the OEM R/R.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Squid

ridinon0$ is on a distinguished road
Limp Mode to get home?

I am hoping that you guys monitor this thread. We are on a 3 day ride. We left Friday afternoon from Tulsa and when we got to Fayetteville, my bike wouldn't start. I jump started it and went to Autozone and got a new battery. I had it on the battery tender over Thursday night and my battery was about 4 years old. It seemed pretty warm but I just chalked the issue up to age. Today we were 200 miles into the trip, buzzing along and my bike just quit all together. No lights at all. The day old sealed battery was smoking - I think the battery acid was seaping out around the edges creating the smoke/steam. So, my buddy went and bought new battery number 2 for the weekend as we were 50 miles from anywhere. The bike started up again, the headlight bulb has burned out and the tach doesn't work. All other lights and functions are fine.
Anyway, limped to our hotel 40 miles away (which was interesting without a headlight after dark).

Now I am wondering what I can do to limp home in the morning:
  • Can I get a voltmeter and find the peak rpm that creates 14.4V or less (assuming a fuse fixes my tach or memorize the sound at that rpm)? Then just keep it under that until we make it straight home.
  • Do I need to drive, say, an hour at a time and them stop to let everything cool down for 30 minutes? Both failed batteries were pretty hot. But I don't normally mess with the battery to know if that is really normal.
  • Just ride and have a good time and see if I can make it home before I cook another battery?
  • Am I going to cause more problems by riding the bike like this? Riding bitch back to Tulsa and coming back with a truck doesn't sound too tempting...
btw - I replaced the R/R several years ago after it failed on another trip. My bike is a '98. I have not seem any melting wires. I looked at my RR today and it has broad, yet closely placed fins and it is plug and play (same harness). Now that I have looked at this forum I see that there are several types - I can't look at it now to get ID markings since it is dark outside...

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
John

Last edited by ridinon0$; 03-31-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
It's my understanding that these can fail open or closed. Closed allows the voltage to go way up, potentially frying your electronics, including your ECU. Failing open doesn't allow current through. It sounds like you are very close to frying your ECU, as you have fried a couple batteries and burned out your headlight. We'll have to wait for the experts to chime in on a limp home mode. I once drove a VW Rabbit from Texas to Georgia on battery power only, as my alternator died and I had to get back to Fort Benning or I was toast. Had to stop every so often and get it charged at a service station. Maybe the SuperHawk will run off a charged battery with the charging system disconnected somehow so you can get it home.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:32 PM
Squid

ridinon0$ is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the super quick reply. I am definitely concerned about cooking expensive parts... Here is a pic from today for your enjoyment. I haven't been riding in a while and I was excited to see the 'crooked and steep sign'...

Quick Reply: MOSFET Regulator/Rectifiers - The Why & The How