Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

KB Article #3 - PAIR Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 04:18 AM
COBB Member
Superstock

stebbdt is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whytey
Hey guys , just for a point of information after variuos conversations i,ve found out our Kiwi and Aussie spec bikes dont have a pair system at all , thats different aye. ?????
Old 11-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Storm is on a distinguished road
Would pay for me to read the whole thread i suppose...
Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Squid

WAYNEHAMMER is on a distinguished road
i hope i did it right.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yep, that's correct. You'll want to plug, cap, or fill (with JB Weld) the nipple coming off the cap, or use block off plates.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Look up storm!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:02 AM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whytey
Hey guys , just for a point of information after variuos conversations i,ve found out our Kiwi and Aussie spec bikes dont have a pair system at all , thats different aye. ?????
Correct me if i am wrong, i live in Australia & my 2002 firestorm has PAIR - see left photo. Also another 2007 firestorm owner on Ozfirestorms just removed his PAIR to make room for a front rad - see right photo. Maybe it is just you Kiwis that dont have PAIR ? I think there needs to be more research before claiming all Australian bikes dont have PAIR !
Attached Thumbnails KB Article #3 - PAIR Removal-pair.jpg   KB Article #3 - PAIR Removal-p8190pair.jpg  

Last edited by hondavtr1000sp2; 02-17-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 03:24 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Did this removal today following these instructions and a pair of PAIR block off plates I ordered from Jamie here on this forum. It was easy and the plates look great! I went the extra mile and removed ALL that extra weight and it cleaned it up a bit under the tank. No popping on decel since.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:08 PM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I did thjis today and may have misssed something. On each Carb there is a 90* elbow (shown in the pic) with a short hose that goes directly to the airbox. I blocked all 4 is that wrong and are these hoses not part of the pair system along with the two other valve cover breather hoses? So that would mean i only block 1 port on the bottom of the airbox
Attached Thumbnails KB Article #3 - PAIR Removal-06082010220.jpg  
Old 06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Superstock

spladle160 is on a distinguished road
It is just the one port on the air box that needs to be plugged. Don't plug the holes for the breather tubes.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:53 PM
Squid

Woody42181 is on a distinguished road
If you remove the PAIR valve cover vent tube and cap the cover, do you even need to put the PAIR reed back in? Will
Old 04-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Squid

Woody42181 is on a distinguished road
If you remove all of the tubing and cap the PAIR reed cover, do you even need to put the reed back in? Would it suffice to put the cover back on with some gasket maker on it?
Old 04-17-2011, 04:18 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Woody42181
If you remove all of the tubing and cap the PAIR reed cover, do you even need to put the reed back in? Would it suffice to put the cover back on with some gasket maker on it?

If you leave the reed in, you leave what's been designed to prevent hot exhaust gas from escaping. When I disabled PAIR I wanted the plumbing off too for carb work clearance. I used a pair (no pun intended )of blocker plates available from forum member superdutyd. I think they were $5 or so delivered. He machines these with a tiny indentation where the screw sticks out from the reed valve so you just bolt these in place where the original covers were. It not only lets the reed valve serve it's intended purpse, it removes a (now) useless pipe opening and looks neater.
Attached Thumbnails KB Article #3 - PAIR Removal-april-2011-maint-013.jpg  
Old 04-21-2011, 03:42 PM
Squid

pasini510 is on a distinguished road
PAIR Removal

Hi,
I flipped the reeds on mine today and it would not idle and missed at higher RPM . Did I miss something ? Flipped them back and it runS GREAT ALTHOUGH POPS ON DECELERATION.Was I supposed to cap or plug any fittings ?
Old 04-21-2011, 06:55 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pasini510
Hi,
I flipped the reeds on mine today and it would not idle and missed at higher RPM . Did I miss something ? Flipped them back and it runS GREAT ALTHOUGH POPS ON DECELERATION.Was I supposed to cap or plug any fittings ?
I dunno. I didn't flip mine. I left them as they were but replaced the covers with blocker plates from superdutyd. My bike runs fine with no misses nor popping on decel.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:41 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by pasini510
Hi,
I don't think you read ALL the instructions.....
Old 04-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Squid

pasini510 is on a distinguished road
pair

I reread and you are correct that I did not flip the reed to hold it closed .
I just reinstalled on the oter side and thought that was proper. Thanks ,today I will try again.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Squid

racer187x is on a distinguished road
Just did the PAIR removal on my bike. Thanks to superdutyd for the block off plates! The black looks good on the cylinder heads. Much easier to access the carb now.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I flipped mine and still get popping with my Staintune exhaust. It doesn't seem to be as loud or as often, but it still happens
Old 12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by aja
I flipped mine and still get popping with my Staintune exhaust. It doesn't seem to be as loud or as often, but it still happens
Well the next step would be to turn the pilot screws out 1\2 a turn as the popping now sounds like it is caused by a lean condition.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:33 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
what do you do with the small hose that comes from the carb to the pair system.
does that get closed off or rerouted.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by saige
what do you do with the small hose that comes from the carb to the pair system.
does that get closed off or rerouted.

Per the "Obsessive Compulsive" Addendum steps 4 and 5, remove from carbs and plug with rubber cap.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
Per the "Obsessive Compulsive" Addendum steps 4 and 5, remove from carbs and plug with rubber cap.
got it,thanks.some how that didnt register in the brain lol
doing a tear down and just making sure i get it right the first time.
thanks again.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:35 PM
qfo
Squid

qfo is on a distinguished road
So if i got this right, i would need a small rubber cap to block off the T of the front cylinder that goes to the PAIR valve, and 2 bigger caps to block the aluminum covers of the reed valves(or buy block off plates) am i correct? And also, i leave the oil breathers and the 2 other breathers that come from the carbs, right?
Old 05-16-2012, 04:24 PM
San Gabriel Old Shredder
Squid

sgv_vtr is on a distinguished road
Great Info, thanks. Now, my question; To do a proper clean up, the breather hoses from the valve covers to the PAIR system were removed, so I will need a quantity of (4) 3/4" vacuum/block off caps, one for each valve cover, and 2 for the bottom of the lower airbox, right? Just making sure it is proper to cap off the valve covers. I take it they have other means of breathing?

Thanks for the info, hope someone reads this.

Terry
Old 05-16-2012, 04:42 PM
San Gabriel Old Shredder
Squid

sgv_vtr is on a distinguished road
OK, feel stupid now! I believe I answered my own question, by further investigation. I removed to many things!! The white plastic box it the airbox that connects to the hoses running to the valve covers is how the valve covers are vented, so have reinstalled said parts.

Thanks for all the great info here on the site. You really can get an answer to all most anything about our bikes here!!!

Terry
Old 12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Thank you for the great write up and photos! It was a snap, I am one of those who took it all out and installed cover plates over the reed valves. That is the one area left a little vague to me, I realized it was the metal piece that had to be turned over to hold the reed valve closed rather than turning over the whole assembly, that won't work as it only fits one way. The photos were very helpful. That boost joint is cheap but shipping is not. Also, that boost joint likes just over finger tight. I broke it the first time not knowing that it couldn't take even snugging down. Finger tight and then 1/32 turn. I think I know why some think the PAIR removal makes their bike faster, it's the sound. The bike does sound a little different after getting rid of that valve, (more volume in the air box)? I'm not too sure about idle, (I do think idle sounds better), but the bike does sound different without the gurgling and popping and that makes it seem more aggressive or something. Same bike but it now sounds mean or something. Thanks again for the write up! It's a lot easier than it sounds.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Squid

Codeblue is on a distinguished road
Hey storm,

Mine is Australian, and it does make the popping noise a LOT on decel. but i have not opened the airbox on this one yet to take a look. I can let you know if you like. I'll be looking soon.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:48 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

supermarto is on a distinguished road
Anybody elses bike take forever to warm up after this mod?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
I am missing the point to this mod.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:02 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
does anyone know how many and of what sizes of the caps i need to remove all the hoses and everything? i got the Superdutyd block off plates today.

also when i remove everything does the box and hoses in the airbox come out to as well as the device attatched to the bottom right of the airbox?

Quick Reply: KB Article #3 - PAIR Removal