Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

alcohol free gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:35 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
alcohol free gas

here's a link to a site to find alcohol free gas. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada . If you have tried alcohol free gas please post your opinions. better economy? smoother running ? The closest station for me is 50 miles away. Thanks
Old 04-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Night Rider
Squid

Apocalypse is on a distinguished road
Ethanol free gas

Originally Posted by ascothawk
here's a link to a site to find alcohol free gas. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada . If you have tried alcohol free gas please post your opinions. better economy? smoother running ? The closest station for me is 50 miles away. Thanks
I always try and run ethanol free gas in my hawk not only for the better economy but because it helps keep the carbs way cleaner and in the long run smoother running. 50 miles is a bit of a jaunt to go get gas though but if you have a Chevron in town they may sell ethanol free premium they just started doing that in my town.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I've seen a bunch of reports of stations claiming to sell eth-free but actually aren't. They always blame it on their supplier. There is an easy way to check for yourself, search it on youtube. Before you spend piles of money, make sure they are legit.

I have a place bout 10 miles away that has it. Tried it once and noticed absolutley no diffrence, seat of the pants. Too expensive to use regularly [for me].

I've run 87/89 in mine the entire time I've owned it with no fuel issues to speak of. She's usually laid up in hybernation for 4-5 months @ a time. Sometimes I use Stabil, sometimes I don't.

Last edited by Wolverine; 04-08-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The biggest drawback to the ethanol is worse fuel economy and terribly fast breakdown. It goes bad very quickly and varnishes carbs quickly. Many older vehicle hoses and gaskets get destroyed by the stuff.

You can remove it yourself by adding a small amount of water to a 5 gal can an shaking it. The water bonds to the ethanol and sinks to the bottom.

Nowhere near me has the good stuff.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM
Squid

tomb393 is on a distinguished road
thank Harley

The Marathon in Ottawa , Il. is on my route to Starved Rock which I will probably ride on Saturday. I'll check the mileage.

Most gas stations I hit in The Driftless region of Wisconsin sell ethanol free gas. It has something to do with the state being HOG heaven.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tomb393
The Marathon in Ottawa , Il. is on my route to Starved Rock which I will probably ride on Saturday. I'll check the mileage.

Most gas stations I hit in The Driftless region of Wisconsin sell ethanol free gas. It has something to do with the state being HOG heaven.
You would think so, but no on both parts.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
She's usually laid up in hybernation for 4-5 months @ a time. Sometimes I use Stabil, sometimes I don't.
Yeah that used to be fine with the good stuff years ago, but the last time I let a superhawk sit for a few months the next time I went to start it it puked orange gas all over the floor and one of the floats was stuck. I always use something that's supposed to not only preserve the fuel but fight the ethanol crap as well, like Starbrite or Lucas now makes a similar product (and I'm a huge Lucas fan). I'm afraid to let the bikes sit that long without it.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73

You can remove it yourself by adding a small amount of water to a 5 gal can an shaking it. The water bonds to the ethanol and sinks to the bottom.
I've been interested in this for a while. Any insight into the ratio of Water:Gas to remove the most of the ethanol?...With too little water I'd assume the water could get "saturated" by the ethanol. I might be making my own water removal bottle with a petcock at the bottom for easy water removal.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:18 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Looking for the tech article that describes the process. I am almost sure it is 5% water by volume..

Here is another great ethanol article

And here is why ethanol is such a rip off. It burns with way less energy than real gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2BXuI52fOI
Attached Thumbnails alcohol free gas-open-road-ethanol.jpg  

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 04-09-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:15 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Here is an article I found while wasting time on the web.
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Documents/Eth...ngdocs.com.htm
Not worth the trouble, for me anyway.
My truck is flex fuel and I have used the E85 a couple of times. The loss of fuel economy and power is less than a break even price wise.
Have been wanting to try ethanol free gas, but the only place that I can get it is an hour away at an airport.
Old 04-10-2015, 07:19 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Here is an article I found while wasting time on the web.
How to make your own ethanol-free gasoline ? GL1800 DIY Articles ? goldwingdocs.com
Not worth the trouble, for me anyway.
My truck is flex fuel and I have used the E85 a couple of times. The loss of fuel economy and power is less than a break even price wise.
Have been wanting to try ethanol free gas, but the only place that I can get it is an hour away at an airport.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:54 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
...here is why ethanol is such a rip off. It burns with way less energy than real gas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2BXuI52fOI
Only in a country where corporations are people would this government program make complete sense... oh I forgot...I am in a country where corporations are people!
Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Squid

Bustin is on a distinguished road
I try to keep the ethanol out of every gas powered machine I own, with the exception of my late-model pickup. The single biggest reason is due to the fact that it breaks down so quickly (google "phase separation" for the science) that it can have you yanking and cleaning carbs after just a few weeks . Also , if you still rock any two-strokes, ethanol laced fuel is a really bad call.....unless you enjoy rebuilding top ends.

My Superhawk runs like crap on ethanol... as do my older air cooled I4 bikes. If I'm forced to I will use E10 in them , but I make sure to run it all through before it has a chance to turn sour and gunk anything up. My newer Kawi I4 doesn't seem to care as much about alcohol , probably because it was designed to run on the stuff.

There are some handy web sites for looking up local sources for pure gas, but in general, stations that primarily serve either marine or agricultural markets are going to be the best place to start your search. Around here (Seattle area) some of our local farmer's co-op supply (Cenex) have pure gas available, as do a few marinas.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:01 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I love ETHANOL, it gives me job security. I am a mechanic and clean as many carbs now as perform tire changes now. I do my best to avoid it even tho I have to drive 10 miles out of way to get it.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:21 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ascothawk
I've tried what was claimed to be 100% gas and could feel no difference in power or see a difference in range or engine temp. Bike recently was losing power, found front diaphragm had a huge tear. Replaced it and was shimming needles (still don't know, add one or two #4 washers?) found 1/4" tear in rear diaphragm. Funny thing is slide returned nice and slow. Replaced rear too. Wonder if ethanol
caused this.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Dawn of the dead thread...

Vacationing in Canada today I noticed the fuel pumps here indicate 10% ethanol in regular, 5% in mid grade & 0% in premium. So if you're willing to pay for premium it appears you could get alcohol free gas pretty much everywhere up here. Or maybe it's just southern Ontario??
Old 09-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Vacationing in Canada today I noticed the fuel pumps here indicate 10% ethanol in regular, 5% in mid grade & 0% in premium. So if you're willing to pay for premium it appears you could get alcohol free gas pretty much everywhere up here. Or maybe it's just southern Ontario??
Pretty much everywhere north of the border. However I don't know how long it will last since government is beginning to put pressure on oil companies to add bio mass produced oil\ethanol in all grade's of fuel in order to reduce green house gases.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Pretty much everywhere north of the border. However I don't know how long it will last since government is beginning to put pressure on oil companies to add bio mass produced oil\ethanol in all grade's of fuel in order to reduce green house gases.
That is such a laugh. I know people that have purchased flex fuel vehicles in order to use the "better" fuel. But, none of them uses that crap now, because you get horrible mileage and end up using more of it compared to normal (10-15% ethanol) fuel.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:15 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
That is such a laugh. I know people that have purchased flex fuel vehicles in order to use the "better" fuel. But, none of them uses that crap now, because you get horrible mileage and end up using more of it compared to normal (10-15% ethanol) fuel.
Yeah Mat, I believe it's not as much the milage per gallon factor that government is looking for as pollution caused in the production process. Not only that, it's a way of creating jobs through local industry.

With the price of a barrel of oil oscillating at around 50$, thousands of jobs have been lost in the past months causing billions in lost revenue. So they create demand for the bio mass industry though farming or recycling, and then force refineries to add this stuff in their products.

This province I live in is notorious for this. Government is trying to implement all kinds of energy and fuel saving measures at all costs. They are trying to force the automotive industry to produce more than 20% of cars to be electric by 2020. Yeah right ! We are barely 8 000 000 in population and we're the ones fu@# to save the planet.

Our electricity is hydro produced at more than 90%, and the rest is wind. I get that they want to go down that path, but it's always the little guy that ends up paying for the extra costs of living. Rant over.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Yeah Mat, I believe it's not as much the milage per gallon factor that government is looking for as pollution caused in the production process. Not only that, it's a way of creating jobs through local industry.

With the price of a barrel of oil oscillating at around 50$, thousands of jobs have been lost in the past months causing billions in lost revenue. So they create demand for the bio mass industry though farming or recycling, and then force refineries to add this stuff in their products.

This province I live in is notorious for this. Government is trying to implement all kinds of energy and fuel saving measures at all costs. They are trying to force the automotive industry to produce more than 20% of cars to be electric by 2020. Yeah right ! We are barely 8 000 000 in population and we're the ones fu@# to save the planet.

Our electricity is hydro produced at more than 90%, and the rest is wind. I get that they want to go down that path, but it's always the little guy that ends up paying for the extra costs of living. Rant over.
great post bud

Curiously, our state-owned hydroelectricity utility fails to mention that the storage basins (ie. massive flood zones) used to generate the stuff are veritable methane and heavy metal leeching factories... but hey, those are details right... who doesn't like a little mercury in their drinking water?

as for the corn-based ethanol, numerous studies over the years have shown it to be a net loss on the energyfront (ie. it requires more energy to produce than what it releases in its final form)... so, the more you produce, the more oil you have to import; the only winners are the farmers (a very potent lobby, obviously)