Group Rides Get together with fellow riders...

Tail of the Dragon

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Tail of the Dragon

Hi All

I am in the planning stages of a trip down to the tail at the end of September. My brothers will be coming along, one from Florida and one with me from NH. I am out of the Boston area.

The first week Sept 14 - 20 we will ride from either Boston or Manchester NH to the Toms river area of NJ and stay there for fishing with a friend. That will be a one day ride. If we take all superslab it is about a 5 hour trip. So maybe time for a detour to some good riding.

At the end of that week we will head down to the tail of the dragon and meet up with my other bro from Florida. Spend most of the week there riding the area rides. This will be a 2 to 3 day trip depending on what route we take. From Toms river we can head south and take ferry across to Delaware and head south or west from there.

Return trip to Boston will also be a 2 to 3 day trip and many routes are possible. I may end up riding back sola as bro from NH may spend some time down in Florida.

All that said I am looking for suggestions for good motorcycle roads, routes that anyone knows of or any must see attraction in the tail area.

Also if anyone wants to hook up for some of the ride at some point that would be great.

I am on the road for work this week so my access to internet is spotty.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Squid

Rican219 is on a distinguished road
This sounds cool. I will subscribe to see who else is in. I'm in Ga but shouldnt be to bad to get there for me.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:35 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I'm in Georgia as well, 3 hours from the gap. I would ride my ST1100 up there but I wouldn't mind riding with you and showing you around some nice roads if your up for it.

The skyway is wonderful, not to technical and an easy road to ride, I recommend staying at the Iron Horse Lodge (Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge | 828-479-3864 Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway) if you haven't made reservations yet. Its a wonderful place and the owners are great people. As well the Prime Rib on saturday night is to die for. In the slow season I make the trek up some saturdays just to have dinner there with them on occasion.

Its also right on Moonshiner 28 which is a great warmup road on the way to the Gap (about a 30 minute ride from the lodge if you take an easy pace) Hitting the Skyway from the TN side of the gap back down towards the lodge makes a good day of riding.

The BRP is also another lovely road to ride and 151 off the BRP is an excellent road

this is video from the BRP down 151, its much more fun on the way up.. Dont mind the talking, buddy in front of me and I have bluetooth helmets so we can communicate when we need to. I'm a diabetic and its nice to be able to say, hey I need to stop for something to eat quick.

we pick up the pace about halfway through. We book it up the mountain though (edit: well book it as fast as a muscle cruiser and an aincheint sport tourer on bias ply tires can go anyway :lol I have radials on it now)

Last edited by insulinboy; 08-07-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

Hi Insulin Boy

Nice videos, looks like some nice riding, I will check out the iron horse,

I love prime rib but I don't think we will be there Saturday night. Most likely we will show up on Sunday and stay till Friday before the long trip back to Boston.

So if you are around during the week it would ne nice if we could hook up.

I will keep you posted. Don't worry about sugar stops, between the Superhawks small tank and my prostate it wont be a problem.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Pidge

I will keep you posted. Don't worry about sugar stops, between the Superhawks small tank and my prostate it wont be a problem.
One thing I love about the ST. 50 miles per gallon (nearly) and a 7.2 gallon fuel tank under the seat so the weight is low.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Back Marker

Yes the long legs are nice in so many ways, I also have a VF1000F 1984. That has a 5 gal or better tank and will go about 200 miles before reserve and then you are good for another 30 to 40 miles.

It needs some work, probably about what I paid for the hawk. Still in the stable along with some other toys. (Someday)

Well I spent the day in a 109F boiler room working on cogen equipment, time to hit the shower and grab some dinner. I probably wont be back online until Saturday morning. Half day in NYC again in the morning and then drive back to Beantown.

Oh and Rican219 the more the merrier though I Imagine it will be tough to hook everyone up. I will PM anyone who is interested with my cell when the trip gets closer so we can text, talk to coordinate easier.

Have a good night all.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
One thing I love about the ST, the pace is slow.
Fixed that for ya!

Pidge, do you have some sort of video camera you can mount? The area is absolutely amazing to ride. The Skyway could easily get you in trouble w/ the law. Riding along, enjoying the views and the lloooonnnggggg sweepers pull you in, sort of like the Dragon, but the speeds can get much higher. If there would have been a LEO up there, I would have been had! Sun-tues I only saw 2 coppers on my way back into Robbinsville.
And be careful. We had a member crack it up pretty hard there not so long ago. Post a ride report, you have one helluva itinerary!
Old 08-10-2014, 04:20 AM
Back Marker

Taconic Parkway

Wolverine, no I don't have video capability, though my brother had one at some point so maybe he will bring it along.

Also I have been playing with Google Maps for the first part of the trip. I am looking for anyone who is familiar with the Taconic Parkway in NY. Is it a worth including?
Old 08-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

ba da Bump
Old 08-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Back Marker

Wow I actually broke into the high 30 mpg range on a 45 x 2 ride up to my brothers place and back going with the flow at 75 to 80 then another few miles around town. 125 miles on the trip meter before the gas gauge started to blink RED! Put in 3.25 gallons. Holy crap maybe this trip up and down the coast wont be to bad with a few MSR 30 oz bottles in the saddle bags!!!!
If I could just stop whacking the throttle open in 1st and grabbing second with the headlight lighting up the trees I might break 40 mpg. God I love this thing, been away from riding for too long.
Bought the Ventura racks off ebay today. Now I need to figure out what to strap to them for the trip. Oh and new tires, looking at the Michelins. What say you for an old fart, 2CT Plus this Plus that power this power that. To many frigging tires to choose from. I want high miles and grip and ............
Old 08-12-2014, 07:39 PM
Superstock

looking at the Michelins. What say you for an old fart, 2CT Plus this Plus that power this power that. To many frigging tires to choose from. I want high miles and grip and ............
You don't want the 2CT's for mileage. They are a race spec street tire, you'll get about 1500 out of them on the superslab.

Look at the Pilot Roads, the 3's were VERY good, and fantastic in the wet, almost feel like a race rain tire for the street. The 4's are supposed to be even better but I don't have any actual knowledge of them, they are still a fairly new tire and I dont personally know anybody yet that has run them, just what I read in cycle gear, ect.

I personally am a Dunlop guy and don't like Michelins, but to each his/her own
Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Back Marker

Question

Originally Posted by insulinboy
I personally am a Dunlop guy and don't like Michelins, but to each his/her own

I am not partial to the Michelins, what do you run for Dunlops?
Old 08-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Superstock

I am not partial to the Michelins, what do you run for Dunlops?
I run Q3's on the VTR for sticky (but again they are only about a 2500-3500 mile tire) and I run RoadSmart II's on the ST1100 for mileage. I have my first set of Roadsmart II's to mount up actually, the bike comes factory with a bias ply tire (exedra's) and that was what was on it when I got it (not the OE tires from 97, but the same tires as replacements ) good mileage and I got them down to the pegs without feeling like they were going to slip on me, but I wanted to try a set of radials on the bike and see if I could improve turn in a little bit. The bike is awfully lazy, of course its 725lbs too
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
+1 on the Dunlop Roadsmart II

You won't be disappointed.

Dual compound tire, and very confidence inspiring. Got about 8,000 miles on my set so far, and they've got lots of meat left on them.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Back Marker

Smile Decisions Decisions

Well I think I have it narrowed it down to the Michelin Pilot Road 3 or as Dunlops seen to be popular The Road Smart II. I have always run Metzler Razors on my VF1000F and was happy with them but I am really dating myself there.

I want the mileage, I wont be doing any track days and as an old fart the opportunities on the street to drag pegs are limited to what is around the corner or who jumps out in front of you. I certainly don't want to get back from my trip and have burnt out super sticky tires.

Now to find the best price, Jake Wilson.com seems to have a good selection and availability and free shipping. Anyone ever deal with them. My Bro who does more tires than I do swears by them?

Thank you for your input on the selection.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:53 PM
MotoGP

If you're Metz loyal, try the Z6. I ran them for years, even transitioned from the earlier z series. Great tires for sport touring. Got 10k F/8k rear consistently. Problem for me was they lasted too long. After soo many heat cycles, the tires start giving up the ghost before they are wore out. I have switched to the Stones in an effort to get more grip. As I add more mods to the hawk, I'm able to explore the limits. So a sticky front was in order.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:30 PM
Superstock

I have always run Metzler Razors on my VF1000F and was happy with them but I am really dating myself there.
I have a set of the ORIGINAL dunlop qualifiers.. on my 78 Honda Hawk 400

I always ran the D205's till they phased them out in those sizes.. Good enough to scrape pegs on my YZF600 and I could get 6-7000 miles out of them. I think they still make them in a few sizes for the older bikes though.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Back Marker

Unhappy Metzlers

Aaaarrrrgggg

Now you got me looking at Metzlers, I feel like a kid in a candy store too many options. I want to go back to a 16" front, that cuts down the choices.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:25 PM
Back Marker

Ok so I went with the Dunlop Roadsmart II tires through Jake Wilson. If these survive the trip I will be happy, if not I will spend more money for the alternates. (Cheap Yankee that I am)

I am not getting much help from my bros on the trip planning, I think they want any bad juju to be on me. Maybe I will book a campground any really get them.

I picked up The Ventura racks that were on Ebay for $250, arrived in one piece, well actually multiple and did not look as good as the pictures on line, but they never do.

Lets see now rain gear, my old stuff is trash, what to do for bags, my old stuff is.... Hey this is starting to get expensive and I haven't even started the trip yet!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:20 PM
Superstock

Lets see now rain gear, my old stuff is trash, what to do for bags, my old stuff is.... Hey this is starting to get expensive and I haven't even started the trip yet!
isnt that the way it normally works? lol
Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 AM
MotoGP

frogg toggs
Old 08-29-2014, 04:54 AM
Back Marker

Thanks Wolverine, i will check them out.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Back Marker

Reservations

Ok so no problem during the week if you want to stay at the Iron horse. (Thanks I B) We have rooms for Sunday night 9/21 to Friday 9/26. Weekends are booked solid.

At least we won't be sleeping under a bridge for that part of the trip. I was a little disappointed that the Grill is not open for dinner until Wednesday and I wont be there for the prime rib on Saturday, next trip I guess.... Some how we will eat I am sure!

So if anyone is around during that week we will be there and slithering around the Dragon.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:10 PM
Back Marker

Luggage / Baggage / Ramblings

I got the Ventura rack mounted today. Not real pleased with the way it relocates the rear directional, but it will be ok for solo riding. The soft bags that I had on the Interceptor will not mount aft enough for a passenger to use the rear pegs. I will have to do something with the set up for two up riding

Otherwise the bags seem to fit well enough, I will be adding a bar from the passenger foot peg / muffler mount up to the directional mount on the Ventura to keep them from sagging in towards the tire.

Did the shifter re-index thingy, greased up the pivot, and adjusted the tie rod one turn to compensate. Shifter sits lower now so I don't have to lift my toe so much for upshifts. It helped with the 1 - 2 shift but now 3rd seems to have a notch in it? Have to ride it some more before I decide if I need to adjust the link rod more.

Adjusted the chain, noticed 2 things (dating myself again here) when did they add the feature to the adjusters that allow you to move the axel forward and back, that is so convenient. Not so convenient is the Delkevik pipe I added is to0 high and the chain is rubbing on it and will rub right through it over time. Have to do something with that before the trip. Huummm rat tail file to the Delk mounting hole or clamp a wear strip to the pipe or both. Tomorrow is another day.......
Attached Thumbnails Tail of the Dragon-ventura.jpg  

Last edited by Pidge; 08-31-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Add pdf
Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Back Marker

More Trip Prep Ramblings

Today bent up some 1/8" X 1" flat bar brackets that run from the muffler clamp mounting bolt up to the Ventura mounting point for the rear blinkers. Nothing fancy but they do keep the bags away from the rear wheel. Some bungy cords front and rear keep them secure against the brackets.

This was tested with my new MSR 30 oz. reserve bottles in one bag and a twelve pack in the other. They seem to sit well and not move around at all. Only problem is getting my sorry old leg over the bags and seat when mounting this steed, should be a real challenge when I get the set pack on there too!

Did not really deal with the chain rubbing on the pipe other than putting a hose clamp where it rubs for now. I really need to get someone to take a look at the rub point when I am on the bike and the suspension is at normal ride height to see if it is rubbing all the time or just when there is no weight on the bike.

Cleaned off 7,000 miles of grunge off of the chain and gave it a good lube.

I want to put something between the bag straps/ bags and the rear plastic, I have some rubber roofing material between the bag straps and the plastic for now. Don't, know if that will protect the finish or not. Maybe something else would work better, if anyone has experience with rubber, towel material or whatever chime in please.

Did not mention it but with yesterdays work I also pulled the fairing off to inspect whatever lurks under there. Rad cap was stuck on, don't think it has ever been off before. Coolant level was right there, cleaned up the sealing surfaces and put it back on. Tightened all coolant hose clamps I could get at but nothing really was loose.

The new Dunlops should show up at my brothers place this week but I will have to travel for work so they will not get mounted until next weekend or later.

Still need to order a larger tank bag, thinking of the Cortech 18 liter magnetic and either one of Ventura's seat pack or a dry bag of some sort to put behind me. Suggestions welcomed.

Stay tuned.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

I use a cortech-sport-tailbag and like it very much.
Name:  DSC05439.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  111.0 KB
Name:  DSC05437.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  98.1 KB

And btw, not sure if your interested but Killboy rents 2 different mountable video cameras.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Back Marker

Tail pack

Hi Wolverine

That link says no longer available, not sure if just that store or if discontinued. For the price it seems nice. Will have to check other suppliers.

Videos I have not given that any thought, I don't even have a video player other than my PC and I have never put a video disk in it.

Thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 PM
Back Marker

So why did UPS sent my tires to Parsippany NJ. They are supposed to be in NH. WTF!

Frog Toggs rain gear ordered today, wonder what kind of trip they will have on their way to me. (Thanks Wolverine full report to follow as I am sure I will be riding through a hurricane some where along this trip)

Tried Sports Authority for a dry bag tonight, closer to home, should have just gone to REI, but what the hell save some grief for tomorrow.

I wanted to stop at cycle gear to look at he Sedici Distanza "Sissy" bar bag but at least I had the brains to call ahead for that, sold out, may have some Friday. Why do we call it a Sissy bar? How about hold on for dear life bar? ***** Bar? Open to suggestions.

G' night.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Back Marker

Ramble On

Nothing much to report today. 104 miles 3.2 gallons = 32.5 MPG "Oh Joy" mostly commuting on this tank. Better check that TPS setting before the trip. Does TPS apply to a 2003 bike?

Waiting to hear if tires showed up at my bros, everybody says they are there but no actual confirmation.

Nine days till show time!
Old 09-04-2014, 01:00 PM
MotoGP

Does TPS apply to a 2003 bike?
Yup.

Cortech also has a set of saddle bags that complete the package.

Do you have a route plan for PA yet?

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon