General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What tools/supplies do you carry on your bike?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
What tools/supplies do you carry on your bike?

I went to ride this morning and noticed my tire was nearly flat.

It got me thinking, if I was in the middle of nowhere that could be trouble. I think a small bicycle pump would be useful to have. Or maybe one of those CO2 cartridges for refilling the tire.

What else do you guys carry in the limited space you've got?
Water? Oil? Raincoat???

It seems like many of the tools in the tool kit would never get used on the side of the road. I mean, who needs to adjust spring preload anywhere but at home?
Old 07-07-2008, 04:03 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
It seems like many of the tools in the tool kit would never get used on the side of the road. I mean, who needs to adjust spring preload anywhere but at home?
It's funny you say that. I've got a good friend who does it all the time, really makes me mad. He rides a 599 so it really doesn't matter anyway. Whenever we go to find twistys he has to have it soft for the trip there, but then tightens it up before the fun part, then soft again for the ride home. I've told him that's a bad habit and probably not good for the shock.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
SuperSport

It might wear out the tool or the tangs on the shock adjustment, but other than that I don't see a problem.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:08 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Oh, but I forgot about the question. I carry a tire gauge and a leatherman in my tank bag, that's about it. I don't even carry the stock tool kit. I give the bike a good once over BEFORE EVERY RIDE, to include tire pressure and fluid levels. I've had blow out's before and had to call a friend with a truck, but it doesn't happen enough for me to justify using up my precious space.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:21 PM
Back Marker

jserio is on a distinguished road
I carry my triple A card. Fits in my wallet no problem. Takes care of any roadside issues. .
Old 07-07-2008, 04:51 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
Let's see-- !0mm, 8mm,(built Hawk based on the 8mm), other bike specific tools, safety wire, zip straps, electrical tape, extra bolts and nuts, A trash bag, ear plugs and ibuprophin. Cash, Debit, and cell phone. When you build from salvage, you stay prepared.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:53 PM
Squid

Bill Zebub is on a distinguished road
Stock tool kit, mini compressor and plug kit - thats it. It all fits under the seat.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:04 PM
Ejection Seat Fixer
Squid

74stingray is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jserio
I carry my triple A card. Fits in my wallet no problem. Takes care of any roadside issues. .
sounds great, but sometimes in rural america... there is still no, or poor cell service... especially where i go on the weekends...

but yes, I have a AAA card, never leave home without it!

drew_c14 mentioned a leatherman tool... great item to have at ALL TIMES!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bill Zebub
Stock tool kit, mini compressor and plug kit - thats it. It all fits under the seat.
What mini-compressor do you have that fits under the seat, and where exactly?

I went to ride this morning and noticed my tire was nearly flat.

It got me thinking, if I was in the middle of nowhere that could be trouble. I think a small bicycle pump would be useful to have. Or maybe one of those CO2 cartridges for refilling the tire.

What else do you guys carry in the limited space you've got?
Water? Oil? Raincoat???

I'm at an advantage because I have a Sargent saddle and a hard, QD rear trunk case mounted to a modified Ventura rack (but using the Ventura L-brackets). Consequently, I carry all sorts of stuff (see below) that I never hopefully will need, which if I did not drag along would of course immediately would require for a roadside fix. I have used my tire plug kit and Co2 filler on a friend RC51 but otherwise never have touched. The added weight of all the stuff I carry in addition to the OEM tool kit possibly exceeds 15 pounds!

In the Sargent saddle tool tube and a zipper leatherette bag in the trunk plus stashed in the trunk and under the saddle: Vice-grips, Leatherman, duct tape, lighter-meltable hot glue, electrical tape and wire, zip-ties, a small tow rope, on long trips mc jumper cables, a travel battery charger and 1.23 qt. camping stove "spare" gas bottle, a small flashlight and LED/Halogen headlamp, extra stop/tail and turn signal bulbs, an emergency "space" blanket, Areostitch's sport touring First Aid kit, more bandages and antibacterial ointment, alcohol wipes, a razor blade, spare ear plugs, a side stand plate with remind-me-to-take-it lanyard and handlebar hook, tire plug kit, Co2 filler with at least 10 cartridges, screwdrivers, wrenches and sockets, Allen wrenches, clear 3/8" ID hose (for gas siphoning), tweezers and scissors, tire gauge, Motrin, lighter, pen, pencil and note pad, Magicmarker, a mini-adjustable wrench (very handy) and 7" adjustable wrench, a mini-RS electric multi-tester, spare fuses, sunscreen and bug repellent, a small microfiber towel, a faces shield cleaning kit plus a small bottle of Rain-X, cell phone, water bottle, a clear face shield in a thin helmet bag (I wear a dark tint during the day), sunglasses, maps, Aerostitch triple-digit (Vulcan) rain gloves and back-of-the-hand squeegee, a windproof wind triangle, a windproof and rain resistant PB bicycle illumiNITE jacket, crimp connectors & splices, adjustable bungie cords, a disk lock, nightsticks, elastic hair ties & rubber bands, caution tape, a baseball hat, Totes rubber over boots, an 3/16" diameter X 24" vinyl covered lock cable and a separate helmet lock cable with built-in lock, on long trips an electric tire pump I made from the guts of a C-H unit plus a dual-cigarette plug outlet (that also can be used with my cell phone car charger) that plugs into the coaxial receptor that I plug my Battery Tender into, mini-bungies, more zip-ties, the remote for my alarm, a disk lock with caution tape taped to it (a bright reminder to remove b4 flight), gum and lozenges, cigars, hand-warmer packets, eye drops, my insurance card & DOT excerpt on how headlight modulators are legal in all 50 states (I have needed it at least once), plumber's epoxy, spare gloves sometimes for hot or colder weather, and other stuff I'd have to check to see I forgot about. Everything is organized in zip-lock freezer bags (plus spare bags) and I have a small LED light velcro'd to my full face helmets for map reading, and on my helmets my blood type, "no med allergies" and "do not remove helmet" stickers I made. I have a Scott Oiler, so chain lube is not required (except I also bring a refill bottle & pint of engine oil plus "2nd side stand" in made that lifts the rear tire for long trips).
Old 07-07-2008, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
+1 on what jserio said, AAA card. Or you could tow a Snap On rollaway with $30k worth of tools.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Squid

honda996
What AAA plan do you guys have that covers motorcycles? They told me no motorcycle coverage exists for my plan.

Lately I revised my basic tool kit to include a tire plug kit, riding with a buddy on his CBR, he got a huge puncture out in the middle of nowhere. As luck would have it, the tiny gas station we were near had patch kits and a compressor.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Motorcycle consumer news did an article on this but if you buy the smallest compressor at the auto parts store and bust off all the plastic the remainder is all you need and will fit in a ziplock. CO2 cartridges will take a dozen to fill a tire (I still carry em just to limp it) Carry a plug kit/ pliers & lots of fuses
Old 07-08-2008, 01:13 AM
OUTLAW
Squid

BensonTweed is on a distinguished road
There's no shame in being prepared...........

I always carry an extra key, a knife, electric tape, tire plug kit, factory tool kit, owners manual, calling card, disposable lighter, and I keep $100 bill folded up tight. You never know when you'll need some cold hard cash. Everything fits under the seat except the key; I keep it in my pocket. The tire plug kit is probably the most used and essential. I have plugged many o' tire, both mine and complete strangers. You can pick one up at PepBoys for under $10 Some might think a calling card is worthless in the modern age of cellular phones but phones can break, get wet, fall out on the road.......etc. That $10 card might save your *** and takes up a very small space. I live by the saying....."if you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

Tweed
President
WhiskeyBoys MC
Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Squid

What mini-compressor do you have that fits under the seat, and where exactly?
This one:
http://www.amazon.com/SLIME-COMPRESS...5518617&sr=8-1

I have a bit more space under the seat on mine - after removing the stock inner fender and replacing it with an undertail. I'll post a pic tonite when I get home. If I took off all the plastic on the mini compressor it would definately fit under an unmodified hawks seat.

Last edited by Bill Zebub; 07-08-2008 at 05:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Squid

Timmybung is on a distinguished road
I carry the entire stock tool kit, a leatherman, a set of allen wrenches, a multi-bit screwdriver, and my 9mm.
Old 07-08-2008, 02:05 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Timmybung
I carry the entire stock tool kit, a leatherman, a set of allen wrenches, a multi-bit screwdriver, and my 9mm.
not that many 9mm fasteners on my bike. this wouldn't be the kind that only undoes nine nuts before you have to reload it?
Old 07-08-2008, 04:09 PM
SuperSport

So I take it a small bike pump is worthless?

I was thinking maybe 6' of 3/8" clear tubing, could come in handy for siphoning gas from other bikes, or a car, rather than carry a small bottle of gas.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Timmybung
I have twin 12mm Pasha 60's poking out the nostrils of my fairing, which I had to reinforce with carbcon fiber to handle their 5.5 kilo weight (each) plus recoil. Whereas every third round is a tracer, I only can squeeze off (using the trigger selenoid on the left clip-on) for a total of 22 seconds due to their 510 rpm rate and small 23 round magazine.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:14 PM
SuperBike

So I take it a small bike pump is worthless?

I was thinking maybe 6' of 3/8" clear tubing, could come in handy for siphoning gas from other bikes, or a car, rather than carry a small bottle of gas.
I bicycle pump takes a while to fill even a 17-120 due to their small volume per stroke.

If you re-read my list, I carry a hose AND the gas bottle (though only on long rides). Siphoning from a car tank is very difficult and would require too long of a hose to carry easily.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:47 PM
Squid

Name:  underseat.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  96.0 KB

Mini compressor on the upper left, plug kit stuffed on the right and the stock tool kit stuffed into the little valley on top of the battery.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:06 PM
MotoGP

Have you tried out the pump yet? Sounds like a good idea. My '83 R100RS had a factory hand pump mounted on the frame below the seat. Never used it. The one time I had a flat, I left work and drove 2 miles to the freeway and was doing 65 before I realized I had a rear flat. Metzler ME33, pretty stiff sidewall. I got off at the next offramp and rode it back to work at 25mph. Had my wife pick me up, and got a new tire the next day.

I tried AAA 15 years ago when the Beemer had a bad axle bearing. They said they didn't tow motorcycles. It cost me $95 for 15 miles to my home. But a friend recently told me they tow bikes now. I need to check on that one though.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 AM
Squid

I haven't tried it to inflate a tire, just hooked it up to see if it ran - it worked. I can't see it being unable to inflate a MC tire - it'll probably take 10 minutes but its better than co2.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:10 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
AAA won't save you unless you lie & say its your car then bribe the tow guy. If you are an AMA member, they offer Motow; if not there is Motorcycle Touring Services towing. BensonTweed was right about the plan to fail thing. Always have zip ties, safety wire, and some duct tape rolled around a pencil piece to keep it small.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
SuperSport

I have new insurance and have no idea what the roadside covers. I guess I better call and find out before I get surprised the hard way.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
AAA won't save you unless you lie & say its your car then bribe the tow guy. If you are an AMA member, they offer Motow; if not there is Motorcycle Touring Services towing. BensonTweed was right about the plan to fail thing. Always have zip ties, safety wire, and some duct tape rolled around a pencil piece to keep it small.

Looks like they do offer towing for bikes, probably costs extra:

http://www.aaa-calif.com/auto/maintain/rvtow.aspx
Old 07-09-2008, 07:00 PM
MotoGP

My wife is an AMA member. I didn't know towing was a benefit, but she did.

I think she wanted me to walk home.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:48 AM
'Bring it...'
Back Marker

RocketBabe923 is on a distinguished road
Short skirt and stilettos... all the tools needed for road side assistance!

Old 07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Squid

Somehow I don't think that'd work for me.... it'd most likely have the opposite reaction and cause any passing motorists to floor it and get as far away from me as possible
Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RocketBabe923

drool spots on the keyboard are a real problem when you go posting thoughts like that
Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bill Zebub
Somehow I don't think that'd work for me.... it'd most likely have the opposite reaction and cause any passing motorists to floor it and get as far away from me as possible
never know...may get the help you need. just be cautious if its a big, burly truck driver

Quick Reply: What tools/supplies do you carry on your bike?