General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Old 04-21-2017, 02:27 AM
Squid

Stratplayer10 is on a distinguished road
Non starter.

Today was the day of the resurrection, or should have been. No success in resurrection of my 99 VTR after 8 year lay up. New battery, but I think the fuel needs chucking, advice sought.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:37 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Moved my reply to his dedicated thread.

Carry on.

Last edited by Wolverine; 04-21-2017 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Finished getting my bike ready for the riding season today.

Mods/updates for 2017:
- replaced screws holding carb butterflies in place with lower profile units (which were ground down as much as possible); improve airflow
- built a new airbox lid (ie. "Filter-in-lid design) with a larger filter element (area is up 40% over previous version); also improved volume and clearance over funnels slightly, as well as raising the tank a bit to improve airflow into filter/airbox/engine
- matched carb throats/intake collars/intake ports; did some minor dremmeling to latter two to provide a smooth and uniform channel for the air, again to improve airflow
- put thermal barrier on underside of airbox and carburetors (cooler airbox and carbs mean cooler air, better air density for improved power); minor, I know, but it was cheap...
- To improve response, I drilled a small additional lift hole in each slide (was running single hole before, just added 15% more area)
- cleaned front caliper pistons
- tightened steering bearings and replaced handlebars (with black version of same) and stem nut (blue Ti); red was just "too much" (has a stealthier look now)

I am not expecting anything close to major gains from the intake side changes, but they should improve response (which was already great) slightly if nothing else.

Will empty out the old gas, pour in some fresh stuff, re-install battery and I should be good to go.

To come shortly (get dealer to do it):
- new tires
- new chain and sprockets (gonna try 15/40 gearing)
- change fork oil
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Did a bit more work on the barn find bike....it's starting to get close....

Name:  002_zps5qufgrnu.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  274.6 KB
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by xeris
Thanks, that's good to hear. I feel very fortunate to have been able to secure a set. Non of the parts that are important are available any more.

Did HRC use Akrapovic for their exhaust system?

Hoping that with the Flo-Commander and the elevation I'm at I'll be good, and maybe get back a bit of the power lost to altitude.

I know what you mean about the parts, if you can find any you better bring your wallet....lol The last time I saw a replacement carbon sleeve they were $500 each....just the sleeve....

When I installed mine there was a noticable difference and like I said I needed a minor rejet to dial it all in.

For the HRC .....yes they did use Akro stuff in the RC51 program

Name:  018_zps4fc1a009.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  91.4 KB
Old 04-22-2017, 05:04 AM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Rode it to COTA on fri. Didn't even kill my back like usual. May start riding it more.

With a new batt it started right up, really seems to like the av gas, doesn't go goopy in the carbs.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:26 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
(Yesterday in actuality): I rode from San Diego to Rosamond Ca., bringing my 'new' bike home. 292 miles as the route took me, with a couple of 'side trips'. (Ok, so I got lost once...or twice. LOL.)

I learned stopping every 100 miles for gas is not a myth.

I learned the stock seat is equivalent to an MTD (Medieval Torture Device). I could go 40 miles before I had to stop and rest my rear-end. But 15 miles was the point at which it started to bother me. (Ordered a Corbin. I've had good luck with them. The Corbin CAN'T be worse than the stock 'board').

One of the meds I'm taking (evidently) caused me to start cramping in the heat. LOL. Hips. Legs. Hands. Back. I think I was a little dehydrated, too, which didn't help. It was 98* in Temecula, and near that for most of the day elswhere. Kind of weird zooming along at 70 with cramps in both hips my legs stuck straight out to the sides. Other drivers must have thought I was a real Hot Dog. I guess I am. But I never got to the point I couldn't maintain control else I'd have pulled over (...he said, anticipating the admonishment of others; he was not without sensitivity to the thoughts of others for he was, in the end, a 'social' creature).

I learned you can roll-on in 6th from 70+ and accelerate with alacrity.

I learned you can run @90MPH and feel like you're going 70 on this bike.

I learned Pasadena Ca. has WAY TOO MANY One Way streets and while there's a sign for the 210 toward San Bernadino every couple of blocks, there appears to be only ONE such sign for the 210 toward Sacramento.

I learned Tony Silvia is a stand-up guy. (prior owner)

I rode the Metrolink/AMTRAK to San Diego. Met some really great people on both. At the end of the day it was one of the cardinal ones you won't ever forget. And the topper was, now "she's" home with me. I love this bike.

Alan

Last edited by AlanS; 04-23-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

Corbin for these is very firm. It gets better when left in the sun to warm up. If you really wanted comfort, Sargent would've probably been a better choice.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:34 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Corbin for these is very firm. It gets better when left in the sun to warm up. If you really wanted comfort, Sargent would've probably been a better choice.
Now you tell me. LOL. I might end up with a Sargeant at the end (literally).

I've had several Corbins (other bikes) and they were good for the typical distance I ride without dismounting, e.g., 50 miles.

Thanks for the heads up. I'd read about Sargeant seats with these bikes, but they seemed to be about equally (subjective) represented in comparison to the Corbin.

If the Corbin doesn't work for me I'll try Sargeant.

Alan
Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
You'll need a time machine to buy a new Sargent.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:52 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
You'll need a time machine to buy a new Sargent.
LOL. My Time Machine is broken. I've tried using it before. I'm always left just where I am. Hopefully the Corbin won't be too bad. I love the bike. If I can't get a good seat I guess I'll just shove 'rags' in my underwear and sit 'light'. LOL.

Alan

Last edited by AlanS; 04-23-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:11 AM
MotoGP

Full-Seat-Super-Cell-Atomic-Foam-Sargent
Old 04-24-2017, 11:42 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Alan, a seat like that above was about $430 new a year or two ago.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:01 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I know what you mean about the parts, if you can find any you better bring your wallet....lol The last time I saw a replacement carbon sleeve they were $500 each....just the sleeve....

When I installed mine there was a noticable difference and like I said I needed a minor rejet to dial it all in.

Took the unobtainium, rediscovered part out to determin if the flange can be separated from the header mounting peice. At some point in time the flange was tightened to the point of putting a slight bend in it. Have a machine shop that will press it flat for me. Obviously can't be done as an assembly.
Photo doesn't show the bend, doh.
Not to worry I will clean before mounting.
Oh, and I put them where I can find them.
What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_0497.jpg

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_0496.jpg
Old 04-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Not all vtr.

Not today and not all vtr.
I got my brakes in the mail. Mounted my 1000rr rim . minus the adjusters..... Yeah found out that's no good tall. I will post on YouTube the whole process. Thanks to NhSH for his pm. For new tires on. Made a temporary 1 position adjuster to get me to work.
Ended a month of waiting to repair my wife's a6. Had my cams in wrong twice. Things impossible to a just and get on tdc. Finally got it and the thing leaked no gasket on a coolant hose. Tried cardboard fail. Bubble gum fail. Tub silicone success. They don't have rtv here and the gasket is order only... So today I let the bike just rest and take a long awaited bath. I am leaning in more now BTW but my 190 shows an inch of chicken. She slides out because of the dirt and these roads are cheesegrated down hill so you can't go over 40 without a big slide. Cars are fine but with a bike its not cool man. Going to mod my vtr adjusters now .
Old 04-25-2017, 04:55 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Brought front wheel of newly acquired VTR to my local Honda shop, to get the tire flipped, as previous owner had someone install tire backwards, :-)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:00 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Ordered replacement tool holder for my Sargent seat. Their support on this discontinued seat is pretty good IMHO. ��
Old 04-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

There is a company in the UK that sells CF, AL, and SS sleeves for a reasonable amount... I am Soooooo jealous!
Old 04-26-2017, 09:05 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Kelevra
Brought front wheel of newly acquired VTR to my local Honda shop, to get the tire flipped, as previous owner had someone install tire backwards, :-)
I had that done to me once at the track, it was a front slick so it was not super noticeable except the high speed weave that scare the poop out of me, reversed the tire bingo nice and stable
Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Fired the old girl up and took her out for the first ride of the year last evening (did 80 kms; a tuning ride). I was expecting to have to do some minor jetting changes further to the intake changes I made (ie. new airbox lid with larger filter element, matched port/collar/carb throat, lower profile butterfly screws) and this was indeed the case. Thankfully, having two Flo-Commanders (one for main and one for pilot circuits) greatly simplified the job. I ended up having to richen up the pilot circuit by 2 turns and was unable to sufficently richen up the mains (still had a slight lean surge with the screw turned full rich; will go up 2 sizes on mains tonight). Bike is pulling great and will only get better as the main circuit gets set properly.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:32 AM
Superstock

Did nothing but smile at her. Did buy some leathers for my ****.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:08 AM
Back Marker

Bought a chain.
RK 530XSOZ1 RX-RING CHAIN - MotoMonster
Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 AM
Superstock

Scrub ed her in more. Watched twist of the wrist last night. I hate to say it but Ive been neutral throttle this whole time but now I open up through the apex and it scares me a bit. But I got one good corner in today and man it felt like a victory. Almost forgot. I ground the tensioner to fit the CBR axle. Found a bad link in the chain.... 1000rr stock chain fits??
Old 04-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by RedStormJ
Scrub ed her in more. Watched twist of the wrist last night. I hate to say it but Ive been neutral throttle this whole time but now I open up through the apex and it scares me a bit. But I got one good corner in today and man it felt like a victory. Almost forgot. I ground the tensioner to fit the CBR axle. Found a bad link in the chain.... 1000rr stock chain fits??
Keith Code is where it's at.. Did level 1-3 years ago, best stuff I ever learned and continuously utilize. He was my instructor, back in the day, none better imho.
Old 04-29-2017, 01:40 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
BTW on the racetrack you are either full throttle or full brakes. NO COMMUTING. Every second commuting is a wasted second where a better rider will blow by you.

Commuting is neutral throttle.
Old 04-30-2017, 12:36 AM
Superstock

Remember I don't have a track. Its far and I don't have a trailer or spare bike yet. I am thinking about a 500 2 stroke for that.
I popped new pads with better compound in today. One of my pads was almost gone on the inside. Normal??
Bike felt good after I finally got em broken in.
Old 04-30-2017, 03:35 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
If you are not on a track then don't use on track methods. Track and street are night and day as are the methods.

How far is the track? My normal track commute is 300 miles. You may be way farther. If you can plan a track day you should. The only slight problem is that most track day guys have no idea what they are doing. They just happened upon the track.

Its good to get a feel for what a bike can do. I would say a 500 2 stroke is a terrible idea for a track bike. Better would be a ninja 300, ninja 500(my fav), or sv650. You will learn more and break down less.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Superstock

Not 300 miles but no truck. Back in the states it was 5 min away!!

I do have closed and semi closed roads but there's few good corners. The legality here is handled a bit different and sometimes at night the local teams will quarantine a good twisty road so I might try that. The track is better as you said because of the surface. I'm no stranger to the track but with a bike I've never been. I just want to be good enough to get around corners without dropping speed.

Before I watched twist of the wrist I was hitting a corner at 50kph... 25 miles an hour. I hit The same one in my car at 120 kph no issues. Now I can hit it at 80kph which is still slow but I don't have to worry about a car flying from behind. I'm slow man. Too slow.

Smokinjoe your right about the track. I just need a trailer and sliders just in case. I want a 500 twin for jollies. Don't care if she breaks. But no ninjas for me. Maybe an old CBR would be cool. I dunno. BTW where do you ride? I used to go to the glen.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
ninja 500(my fav).
Got schooled by Jerry Wood and his sons back in the late 90's on their EX500's @ Loudon. Great bike to begin with.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Superstock

I have to find out why my phone won't let me upload. I took some sweet pictures of the bike on a mountain road. I still have half a thumb length of chicken on that tire. I found some private roads with good corners but have not had The time. The bike is so much more stable now that I got my throttle control down and chain tensioner in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?