General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Old 04-10-2016, 05:31 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
We had a beautiful day here Saturday. I wandered around the east end of the county looking for a road I went down once years ago. I never did find it but I did find a backroad into the town of Index with some stunning mountain views. This is why I live in Washington state.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:10 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Crammed in a short ride around Lake Lure in the NC mountains while my daughters soccer team was warming up - multi tasking!
Old 04-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Fitted my rear inner fender into the subframe and modded the front/left to give the wiring harness better clearance, less of a pinch point. Hoping to wrap up the rear this week, including the new chain, and Ohlins bottle mount, then yank the front up in the air and onto the front forks!
Old 04-18-2016, 06:49 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fastguy59
Fitted my rear inner fender into the subframe and modded the front/left to give the wiring harness better clearance, less of a pinch point. Hoping to wrap up the rear this week, including the new chain, and Ohlins bottle mount, then yank the front up in the air and onto the front forks!
With all the work you have been doing and all the attention to detail I have seen in your photos, I can't wait to see what your bike looks like 100% complete! How far off do you think you are from having it back on the road?
Old 04-18-2016, 06:56 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
100% complete. This Crux guy must be some kind of comedian. OCMD, baby.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:52 AM
Squid

3stars is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 3stars
bought another one that brings me to three i think i have a problem
This one came with a rc51 front end already on
Old 04-23-2016, 09:36 AM
Superstock

I had Friday off and hoped for a short ride before the predicted afternoon rain. No such chance! The rain struck early and chased me home. While stuck in the garage, I did get to swap out my stock horn for a Fiamm Freeway Blaster unit. It fit in the stock horn position quite easily and sounds much louder and more carlike. It is easily the cheapest and easiest upgrade I've done to the Hawk yet. I'm waiting for my CBR shock to arrive from Jamie Daugherty. When it arrives I'll probably have the Honda shop install it and a new countershaft seal. My chain has begin to oil itself and I find I'm suddenly half a quart low on oil. The next planned mod is to finally install a new FH020 R/R unit. I've been playing Russian roulette with the old original one for a few years now. I've had a theory that if the bike's always plugged into the trickle charger, then the R/R has an easy life and won't fail on me. Any thoughts?
Old 04-23-2016, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RobertLever
IThe next planned mod is to finally install a new FH020 R/R unit. I've been playing Russian roulette with the old original one for a few years now. I've had a theory that if the bike's always plugged into the trickle charger, then the R/R has an easy life and won't fail on me. Any thoughts?
Sorry to say that's just wishful thinking.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:37 AM
Superstock

Yeah, I'll feel better with the new R/R unit installed. The bike has been real good about not standing me 200 miles from home, but I don't want to push my luck too far.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:45 AM
Superstock

Baby Bottle Carrier done

Finished mounting up the Ohlins reservoir, test fitted the pyramid rear hugger, ordered up the rest of my fasteners, cleaned up some existing fasteners. Mounted up the Ohlins remote preload adjuster. General busy work! Zen!
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-fullsizerender.jpg  

Last edited by Fastguy59; 04-24-2016 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:57 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Nice reservoir mounts. Those custom made?
Old 04-24-2016, 12:03 PM
Superstock

CruxGNZ, I am shooting to have it rideable by by the end of May... 100% done is a different story. I have had to start prioritizing OCD detail, vs. actually riding it.. So it will be nice this year, but nicer spring of 2017, providing i don't bin it between now and then!
Old 04-25-2016, 05:11 PM
Superstock

VTR1000F, glad you like them. I am copying in an abridged version of my reply to CruxGNZ's inquiry regarding the mount.

The mount clamps came from Kartek they sell off road parts. Kartek Off-Road Parts And Accessories

The clamps are a 2" roll bar strap clamps, part number AXA-MODCL200C. They are also available in black anodized. The ones I got are listed as clear anodized, but that was inaccurate as they are silver anodized.

I got lazy and just through drilled the lower subframe rail and used M6 x 80mm small head capscrews and the provided M6 nylock nuts. I plan on replacing the 80mm with 65mm and then building some aluminum tube spacers to hide the capscrews where they traverse the clamps just for aesthetics. The clamps have very good holding power with very minimal tightening of the 6 x 65 capscrews. Next winter one of my projects is to re-powdercoat the subframe. When I do I will have my fabricator fill holes on the outside of the tube and then I will put thin-sheet nutserts on the inside so it will look cleaner when blind fastened. For now I have ordered the m6 x 65mm button head stainless allens.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Bobby, I have a preload mount for ya! Let me dig up a pic.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:25 PM
MotoGP

I have a spare...
Name:  DSC09069.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  326.8 KB
Hmmm, anyone know what the deal is w/ photobucket?

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-dsc09071.jpg

Last edited by Wolverine; 04-25-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
I have a spare...

Hmmm, anyone know what the deal is w/ photobucket?

Attachment 19847
That carbon bracket is for your preload adjuster, right? Nicely executed I might add.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:27 PM
Squid

Twitchy is on a distinguished road
Fastguy59, how did you get your rear caliper looking so new?
Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 AM
Superstock

Wolverine, PM sent, that bracket is the bomb!
Old 04-26-2016, 05:22 AM
Superstock

Twitchy, after cleaning up the inside which required really no labor. I liberally sprayed the outside with Black Jack Asphalt & Tar Remover, then left to sit for an hour. After that I put in in the sink rinsed with hot water, coated it with Dawn dishwashing detergent and used a brass wire brush to gently scrub the entire surface. The remaining dots of sealer were popped off using the side of my gasket scraper as I have found something with a true 90 degree edge removes them best. Compressed air to dry, it then a topcoat of Griots Garage Paint Sealer (this stuff is the bomb, I use it on all my wheels, both on my cars and my bikes NOTHING sticks to it, lasts for about two years on the cars) applied with an electric toothbrush and buffed off with a flannel. Sounds like a lot but actual labor time was about an hour...

Last edited by Fastguy59; 04-28-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:37 AM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
Jealous of you guys and your Ohlins shocks...
Old 04-28-2016, 05:46 AM
MotoGP

that bracket is the bomb!
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ck-come-33120/
Old 04-30-2016, 01:10 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
First ride of the season today after finishing winter mods & maintenance goals!

Ride is plush and stable since Jamie worked his magic on the front forks. Front brakes are sweet with new stainless lines. All brake, clutch and cooling fluids were changed along with all new cooling system hoses. Best of all the stock coolant overflow tank has been replaced with the HRC bottle so my fat hands can finally twiddle the Jack Flash fuel screws under the carbs in comfort.

Ah, life is good.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:24 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
First ride of the season today after finishing winter mods & maintenance goals!

Ride is plush and stable since Jamie worked his magic on the front forks. Front brakes are sweet with new stainless lines. All brake, clutch and cooling fluids were changed along with all new cooling system hoses. Best of all the stock coolant overflow tank has been replaced with the HRC bottle so my fat hands can finally twiddle the Jack Flash fuel screws under the carbs in comfort.

Ah, life is good.
Man, I'm jealous! Still working on mine... The rear end is almost done, but I still have to do the forks. Where did you source the HRC overflow? Directly from HRC? Love to see a pic of the install... The stock one does take up a ton of room!
Old 04-30-2016, 08:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

If you don't want a large bottle zip tied to your frame, check out the solution I found. Just skip to post #17
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-bottle-32443/
Old 05-01-2016, 03:56 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

Man, I'm jealous! Still working on mine... The rear end is almost done, but I still have to do the forks. Where did you source the HRC overflow? Directly from HRC? Love to see a pic of the install... The stock one does take up a ton of room!
I got the HRC bottle used from James (aka "thedeatons") here on the forum. I think he got it direct from HRC. I mounted it behind the water pump for now but not sure I'm leaving it there. I really wanted to get the carbs dialed in ASAP so didn't fret too much about the permanent location yet. Since the weather's now turned wet & cold it may be few days til it's sorted. Post pics in a bit.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:17 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

In the link I posted above, go to post #54 for all the HRC part numbers.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

promised pics

Here's where the HRC bottle is currently located behind water pump lower right side of bike. Basically wedged behind hoses securely. Great functionality but **** poor access so this is temporary.

Next will be this little gem I found at REI store for less than $2. A narrow Nalgene bottle it holds exactly the the same amount of fluid as the HRC but being narrow lends itself to so many other locations. After drilling for tubing I expect to mount it inside fairing above fan.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_1916.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_1918.jpg   What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-img_1917.jpg  
Old 05-06-2016, 05:57 AM
Squid

verticalization is on a distinguished road
Finally changed my CCTs to manual APEs, without realizing it I ended up doing it at 33,000 miles on the dot. Sure does give a lot of peace of mind not worrying about impending doom. Today I need to change brake fluid to restore some lever feel, change coolant because its getting HOT suddenly, and a good wash.

Name:  DNXXUJeh.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  130.9 KB
Old 05-10-2016, 10:00 PM
Squid

Braymond is on a distinguished road
I got this bike a couple of months ago from a guy who let it sit neglected in the garage for a few years. I got a lot of good info and advise here on the forum.

I finally got everything back together, the oil changed, and fairings back on. Only need an inspection, license plate, and some sunny weather to test it out on the road.

Only things left on the to-do list are install to new tires and some upgrades - suspension, maybe front brakes, and likely a lightened flywheel.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-image.jpeg  
Old 05-11-2016, 11:12 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Really like that color. Seems OCMD has taken you over already!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?