General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:05 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Decided in the next few weeks she will go on the dyno. Need to see where this is at and dont have time to chase my tail.

Also need to make it more comfortable.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Looks like a cool place to ride to! Is that a coffee joint?

Newcomb's Ranch
Old 04-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
You sound exactly like my Dad! Same experience with his new hearing aids. He wants to shoot, "those damn chirping birds" outside thier house. He never knew they were there haha

I am looking at hearing aids myself (39 y.o.). I was taken back by how much these cost. I want to get the ones with Bluetooth, but dang, I could buy three or four low mileage, beautiful Superhawks for the cost of hearing everything again. After listening to my Dad say how much he was missing, I think it's worth it.
Just do it! I paid over $3000 for the pair and believe me, I was skeptical. I wore them for two days and was in a panic when one shut off. I don't want to be without them. I can't believe what I have been missing. I never heard the birds before. I hear ALL the engine noise now!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:07 AM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
I really miss my SuperHawk. This forum was one of the best things about owning the SuperHawk. Currently riding a Kawasaki Versys and the Versys forum does not get much more technical checking valves.
Here it is (my old Superhawk) sporting two exhaust types

Last edited by aka Yamadog; 04-28-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
You got that Versys to look just like a Superhawk!
A nice looking one at that.

Last edited by Hangfly; 04-28-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:51 AM
Superstock

Got rid of both "water tanks" mounted on the bars.
I'm a retrogrouch and like the old style.

Used a '99 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird Clutch Master Cylinder
Name:  mastercyliders.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  292.1 KB

Last edited by Hangfly; 04-28-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:31 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Hangfly, is the '99 Blackbird clutch master the same bore as the stock unit it replaced? Do you notice any difference in clutch action? From what I can tell it uses the same lever as the stock master on the SuperHawk, thought it doesn't look like your lever is the stocker.

I've been trying to get my hands on a stock 2005 SuperHawk integrated clutch master to no avail for a while to do the same thing.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Hangfly, is the '99 Blackbird clutch master the same bore as the stock unit it replaced? Do you notice any difference in clutch action? From what I can tell it uses the same lever as the stock master on the SuperHawk, thought it doesn't look like your lever is the stocker.

I've been trying to get my hands on a stock 2005 SuperHawk integrated clutch master to no avail for a while to do the same thing.
This unit bolted right up using my lever from the original. The pull is much easier and smoother than before, but that may be due to the fact that the round brass "pivot bushing" was a bit galled and rough. I sanded/polished/greased it.
But to tell you the truth, I don't know if the bore is the same or what kind of levers are on my bike.
Since I am a sort of newbie moto mechanic, I had a heck of a time bleeding the air out. I finallly borrowed a vacuum pump which did the trick.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:51 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hangfly
This unit bolted right up using my lever from the original. The pull is much easier and smoother than before, but that may be due to the fact that the round brass "pivot bushing" was a bit galled and rough. I sanded/polished/greased it.
But to tell you the truth, I don't know if the bore is the same or what kind of levers are on my bike.
Since I am a sort of newbie moto mechanic, I had a heck of a time bleeding the air out. I finallly borrowed a vacuum pump which did the trick.
Did you ever hook up a battery and find out the mileage of your bike yet?
Old 04-28-2015, 11:04 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Battery? Why would he need a battery?

But, the clutch seem to be working OK? It's fully disengaging, etc.? I really don't know if the clutch master bore is as critical to clutch performance as the brake master bore is to brake performance. I imagine it could affect clutch feel, but as long as it's disengaing and engaging fully...
Old 04-28-2015, 11:45 AM
Superstock

Ha! Yes I have been driving it since getting it running. (Only about 50 miles by me so far though.) Just turned over 39,000 miles. More than I had hoped for, but the price was right and the engine sounds sweet so far. When I had the cover off to do the MCCTs, the internal surfaces looked impossibly clean.
The clutch is like butter now. Shifts and launches are better (old clutch m/c unit was rough) and yes, fully engaging/releasing with no issues.

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Battery? Why would he need a battery?

But, the clutch seem to be working OK? It's fully disengaging, etc.? I really don't know if the clutch master bore is as critical to clutch performance as the brake master bore is to brake performance. I imagine it could affect clutch feel, but as long as it's disengaing and engaging fully...
Old 04-28-2015, 11:56 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Thanks for the info.

Hell, Hangfly, the way it's been going on this board, you should be able to ride at least another 50 miles before the motor blows up. Enjoy.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:31 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Hangfly: can you post a picture from the tail light area, looking at the cockpit, i'd like to see how that clears up the cockpit when looking at it from the back...

Thanks!
James
Old 04-28-2015, 03:35 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Attended Bikefest in Leesburg. Florida and was having a great time until I returned to my bike. Appears a Harley Guy with high-bars decided to squeeze his bike next to mine on main strip, and scratched my gas tank, deeply, in several places. Couple of fellow bikers witnessed it, but guy cranked up and rode into the sunset! Didn't let it ruin my weekend, and luckily I still have the paint, base, etc. from my full repaint. Plan to do some additional touch ups while at it. Post pictures when done.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:26 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Rode my bike after the new shifter shims were installed... Shifting is ridiculously precise now! It's shocking the difference...

James
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

taskmasta is on a distinguished road
Some Superhawk beautification parts came in from Japan today.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-20150429_123514.jpg  
Old 04-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Wore out my rear tire......lol

The jetting seems close, though I might be
be 1\4 turn rich on the pilots but am at the point that I need a dyno run to really see where everything is at.

By the butt dyno, I am making good power and getting decent mileage.
The last couple times out during semi-brisk riding (5-7K in 3rd & 4th) I have been getting between 33-35 MPG so should do pretty good in cruse mode.
Name:  003_zpsq2fxv7sa.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  256.0 KB
Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM
European Member
Back Marker

RoadManiac is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Badboy01
Attended Bikefest in Leesburg. Florida and was having a great time until I returned to my bike. Appears a Harley Guy with high-bars decided to squeeze his bike next to mine on main strip, and scratched my gas tank, deeply, in several places. Couple of fellow bikers witnessed it, but guy cranked up and rode into the sunset! Didn't let it ruin my weekend, and luckily I still have the paint, base, etc. from my full repaint. Plan to do some additional touch ups while at it. Post pictures when done.
thats really fucked up man, have some respect, he is probably mad because he paid alot of $$$$ for a leaking, unreliable, vibrating piece of **** and felt the need to take it out on a v twin sportbike that wil run for ever
Old 04-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by thedeatons
Hangfly: can you post a picture from the tail light area, looking at the cockpit, i'd like to see how that clears up the cockpit when looking at it from the back...

Thanks!
James

Name:  hawkMC.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  168.7 KB
Old 04-29-2015, 12:18 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I ordered new levers....

Of course its Awesome out and I can't ride
Old 04-29-2015, 04:18 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

That does clear up the cockpit quite a bit

James
Old 05-01-2015, 05:48 PM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

Got some new mirrors.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by taskmasta
Got some new mirrors.
Details??

Time flies... when you complain about having to buy another battery when you think you just replaced it about 2 years ago. Found my receipt and it was 2010! New battery, check. Next time I won't buy an old style lead cell.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Superstock

"Got some new mirrors."
Cool looking!

I thought I had ordered a smoked sport touring screen but a clear one showed up.
Oh well, I like the clear too.
Name:  zero.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  100.2 KB
Old 05-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

"Got some new mirrors."
Cool looking!

I thought I had ordered a smoked sport touring screen but a clear one showed up.
Oh well, I like the clear too.
You don't really look through these windshields while riding, so you can always paint the inside black, or whatever color you fancy.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:30 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I was going to suggest that too. Could even use plasti-dip which could easily be peeled off if you wish.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:49 AM
Pew Pew...lasers
Superstock

They are Simota Carbon mirrors with blue tinted glass. Had a friend ship them to me from Japan.
Old 05-02-2015, 01:23 PM
Superstock

RobertLever is on a distinguished road
An unusually dry spring has given me a lot of great riding days. Last weekend I rode up the Mountain Loop Highway to the Ice Caves at Big Four Mountain.
This morning I rode out from Everett to Sultan using backroads. Spring has definitely popped here and the roadside flower display was pretty good.
The Washington DOT has been putting roundabouts in at many highway intersections. I don't mind them as its just a quick right-left flick around them on the Hawk, but the cagers are totally baffled and stop dead at them looking for a traffic light. The DOT also does not follow a through-traffic left-lane convention which could make them more predictable. How do you guys feel about them?
Old 05-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RobertLever
An unusually dry spring has given me a lot of great riding days. Last weekend I rode up the Mountain Loop Highway to the Ice Caves at Big Four Mountain.
This morning I rode out from Everett to Sultan using backroads. Spring has definitely popped here and the roadside flower display was pretty good.
The Washington DOT has been putting roundabouts in at many highway intersections. I don't mind them as its just a quick right-left flick around them on the Hawk, but the cagers are totally baffled and stop dead at them looking for a traffic light. The DOT also does not follow a through-traffic left-lane convention which could make them more predictable. How do you guys feel about them?
LOVE THEM! There has been many roundabouts installed around here and besides the random old fart who gets confused and doesn't know what to do, most people, including myself, can just fly through the intersection. It's fantastic. Keeps traffic flowing, untill a old fart...
Old 05-03-2015, 03:52 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Last night my son, Ian came over to work on his car’s ABS. He got is fixed and we were sitting around talking about cars and bikes. One thing lead to another and I asked him if he wanted to ride the Superhawk. I was just a bit apprehensive. He is a good kid and a good rider and I let him ride what I own on the condition that he not throw them down. He doesn’t have his motorcycle certification so he was limited to my dirt road. It’s not as bad as it seems. The recent rain and some maintenance by the city has made the surface smooth and hard. He rode it down the road a mile and a half and back. With the Two Brothers exhaust I could tell where he was at all times. I could hear him whack it open a couple of times. He got it up to 40 in second and when he pulled up he was grinning from ear to ear. Now he wants one. Of course he does!

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?