General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Started up and rode for the first (by me) time! I didnt know what to expect of the engine since I bought this bike as a basket case. But it sounds sweet so far!
No leaks. It idled and drove very nicely on a short drive last night.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:05 AM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
bought & charged new battery for her and looking for a nice switch for the driving lights.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
I buried a concrete block at ground level in front of my shop's roll up door. I know this does not sound Superhawk related but it is. You see, I don't have a drive in front of the shop door and with all the rain we have been getting, it has made it impossible to back the bike out, prop it on the side stand and close the door. With the block buried in the right place the side stand will not sinking into the mud and topple the bike and I can close the door with ease before a ride.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:56 PM
Superstock

While waiting on tires, I test fitted some 600F4i calipers.
This is an unpractical thing to spend money and time on at this point but I could not resist. I found a clean set of calipers, lever and m/c on Ebay with only 900 miles on them.

Name:  F4i2.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  87.6 KB

Last edited by Hangfly; 04-01-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 03-31-2015, 08:47 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Found a spare garage door opener in the drawer. Programmed it to my opener, and mounted it behind my gauges (speedo side) with a few pieces of 3M double sided tape. Ya can't even tell it's there, and now i have easy garage access!!!

Previous "garage opener" was me beeping the horn and revving the bike up, and waiting for one of my daughters to open the garage... This of course only worked when they were home...

This new remote seems to be more reliable...

James
Old 03-31-2015, 09:04 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I was thinking of doing the same thing with one of our credit card sized garage door openers, but taking it apart and hiding the circuit board under the CF dash and having just the button poking through. Or, just spending the money on the WiFi fob for our garage door opener, so my phone, via an app, is the opener. I recently got a RAM mount that holds my Samsung Galaxy to the right clipon, so its always there now.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-31-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:52 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
wasn't today but on the weekend I had to work.

On Saturday I rode the Tuono up to work which is a 160k round trip.

On Sunday rode the VTR over exactly the same route.

I enjoyed the VTR much more.

The Tuono front end feels lacking compared to the VTR.

Need to do more work on it.

I just love the way the VTR lays the power to the ground.

I reckon I enjoy the VTR more because I can thrash it whereas the Tuono is insane in the power stakes. Early days , however the VTR is still my favourite. Oh by the way I was quicker on the VTR than the Tuono by 3 mins as I timed it!

Traffic and all that aside the VTR just seems to do it with much less fuss.

I will persevere with the Tuono. A couple of months and a few mods and adjustments will make all the difference I'm sure.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:59 PM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
First ride with the Ohlins today, MY GOODNESS
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
First box o' parts showed up for the summer (though we never really have "winter") refresh.

Nice big box of Area P packing.... got to keep those carbon Akro's happy

Still waiting on the full set of new springs from Dan Kyle....as I ain't fat no more....lol

and the normal tune up stuff and also finally get around to finish rejetting for the full system.

So in a couple of week the kids will be in trouble......lol
Old 04-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by ren
First ride with the Ohlins today, MY GOODNESS
I know, right!? I just installed mine and had my first ride yesterday. It transforms the bike. I love it!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:37 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Finally out of hibernation!! Inflate tires, quick visual and I finally get to audition my new GT Air. WOW!! This thing is light years ahead of my RF1000. So much quieter and stable @ speed. I think this is going to be a great relationship!
After ride I immediately dumped the oil/filter and poured in 4.5 quarts of fresh M1 4t... ahhhhh life is good!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Took a couple bits off though still have a couple to go.....

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-073.jpg
Old 04-05-2015, 10:13 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Took a couple bits off though still have a couple to go.....

Attachment 18516
Just a couple, hey?

What are you up to Mike?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Banned
MotoGP

First is all new springs front and rear as the stuff I am running has become too stiff and I can't hit my sag numbers.... though it has been a while since I had to go lighter on springs.....lol

Then repack the Akros and clean up the header.

Rejet the carbs for the full exhaust as I didn't finish when I installed it.

Also while I'm in there I have to break the engine loose and remount it as the last time in there I got it off a touch during remount.

Not that anyone who has ridden the has noticed but the forks are off a degree or 2 from tracking straight, So as I have it down this far might as well take care of that also.

Then the normal tune up and inspections, so I have a day or two of messing around and she will be good to go
Old 04-06-2015, 02:22 PM
Squid

Bustin is on a distinguished road
MY SH got some attention this weekend. I did some clean-up work on the half-assed "fender eliminator" setup that the PO had cobbled together, and finally got some decent lighting on my license plate. Eventually, I'd like to do the Coerce setup, but I'm a bargain hunter, so that may take some time and patience to accomplish. I also installed a KisanTech headlamp modulator since this bike is going to be doing a lot of commuting in traffic, and replaced the little foam sub-filters in the bottom of the airbox, as the originals crumbled to dust when I attempted to inspect them earlier this month.

We have had wonderful riding weather up here in Washington so far this year, with a very above-average number of warm, dry days. That has a tendency to convert those typical early Spring "rainy wrenchin' days" into "Wahoo...let's RIDE ! " days, but hey....I ain't complaining !

Next up is a set of taller clip-ons , still debating how to accomplish that one. I did make a call to Heli-Bars to see if they were ever going to resurrect our 41mm setup, and the answer was a fairly positive "really doubt it" . Guess I'm gonna hit the bargain wire and look for a set of used Helis or Apex on the cheap, or maybe go the VFR route. I see some no-name adjustable 41mm clip-ons on Ebay , but that will be a last resort.

Last edited by Bustin; 04-06-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hangfly, how did you address the boots for the coils so as to prevent waterlogging? I am still not happy with my homemade boots. I find it stutters in the rain now. (or after a wash)
Old 04-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Hangfly, how did you address the boots for the coils so as to prevent waterlogging? I am still not happy with my homemade boots. I find it stutters in the rain now. (or after a wash)
I did what I thought was described in a "how to" stickey. So I did not invent this mod. I copied others, thank you .
I used Honda 600F4i coils.

Pull the rubber end off and throw it away. (Center coil in photo below.)
Grind stick coil tip ribs down to the base diameter. Hard plastic material. (Left coil in photo below.)
Cut existing Super Hawk spark plug boot off right above the angled part. (Sectioned piece shown near left coil in photo below.)
Slip spark plug boot over grinded area of stick coil. (Second photo below.)
Install coil assembly on to plug. (Bottom Photo)

If you don't grind off enough material off the end of the stick coil, the boot will be too fat and hard to push on to the surrounding area of the plug.
There is the usual cutting and splicing of wiring to do.
I hope this encourages others.
It's pretty easy.

Name:  stick1.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  83.3 KB

You could apply silicone around the joint, but it's pretty tight as shown.
The coil to exisiting boot is a tight enough fit that when you pull on it, the boot pulls off the plug and out of the head area long before the coil tries to slip out of the original boot.
Name:  stick2.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  88.3 KB
I dont think it will shake or allow water to get in.
Name:  stick4.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  83.9 KB

Last edited by Hangfly; 04-09-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Wow hangfly that looks great. I did similar but was afraid of destroying the coil whilst grinding. I will have to go back in since I ride in hard rain daily these days of eternal winter.

Thanks for the pics. Well done.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:41 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Mounted the rear shock, put the carbs back on and then found the steering head bearings shot so those will be here tomorrow so I still should make the weekend

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-002.jpg

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-004.jpg

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?-006.jpg
Old 04-10-2015, 02:46 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Bummer Hawk,

I have a set of All ***** tapered bearings sitting here waiting for the day.

Hope you get it back on the road for the weekend and give all the young blokes the ***** when you either smoke them or they can't get away from you.

That is one of the things that I love about the VTR, it does what it shouldn't do!
Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 AM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
Mounted the rear shock, put the carbs back on and then found the steering head bearings shot so those will be here tomorrow so I still should make the weekend
Where you headed, I was planning on a Sunday morning/early afternoon little jog

Looking real good as well, great to hear you're soon to be on the road
Old 04-10-2015, 08:23 PM
Banned
MotoGP

The bearings didn't show up until late afternoon but I still managed to get a few bits back on..... and will probably take a run to Newcombs this Sun.

Name:  001_zps7vuvtmmv.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  188.8 KB
Old 04-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The bearings didn't show up until late afternoon but I still managed to get a few bits back on..... and will probably take a run to Newcombs this Sun.
Wow, that's even a fantastic looking bike without the bodywork on!

EDIT: Mike, I noticed that you have breathers on your valve covers, but no oil catch can for each breather. Have you had any issues with oil spray or oil dripping out of the breathers?

I bought a couple small breathers, but haven't installed them yet, because I wanted to make a small oil catch can (like 1" cube) for each breather. But if I don't need to, that would be awesome.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-11-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Question
Old 04-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
EDIT: Mike, I noticed that you have breathers on your valve covers, but no oil catch can for each breather. Have you had any issues with oil spray or oil dripping out of the breathers?

I bought a couple small breathers, but haven't installed them yet, because I wanted to make a small oil catch can (like 1" cube) for each breather. But if I don't need to, that would be awesome.

Well I haven't had any real issues. There is a bit of mist to wipe off from inside the frame rails but that is about it.

So while the catch can does keep things a little cleaner it isn't that big of a deal to run just breathers,
Old 04-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Banned
MotoGP

All back together, sag set and have only done a quick test run in the car park but she seems to be a happy girl
Old 04-11-2015, 01:27 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

About to go do the same thing. It's beautiful weather here today. 62F and sunny.

I just put in 42 pilots (getting FIL mod dialed in) and installed those two valve cover breathers.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Back from the test run..... Took a quick ride up the road right out my back door...little tujunga canyon
It's pretty empty out there as a lot of local are a bit scared of it but on my bike it is a 2nd gear road while running the bike between 3.5K -8K

So real good for checking jetting
It's a bit bumpy with blind corners and a few hairpins thrown in to keep you on your toes....lol

I did drop the ride height down to 6.5mm and with the new springs everything is back to working like it should.
Firm but never beats you up..... I call it firm but ohlins plush.

The jetting is almost spot on..... just some popping on decel so just need to open the pilots 1\2 turn.

Yes the bike did pull the typical VTR madness of going rich when I installed the full Akro system.
In the end I went down 1 size on the pilots (back to the US stock 45s) and she pulls really hard now.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:05 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wake the Kids & Call the Neighbors

Finally got out in 2015 to ride!

Took the cover off, and was happy I put her away clean, the only thing I had to do was check the tire pressure & away I went.

Rode to a friends place for a party, even though the route taken mostly sucked - thats what I get for trying to wing the route, it was good to get out.

On ride back home, sadly via slab, I was hitting some triple digits and the ole VTR felt great.

Get out & ride & watch those pot holes!
Old 04-13-2015, 07:08 AM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
First Ride O the year.

Unplugged the battery tender, checked the tire pressure, and oil level. Cranked her our of the driveway, about 3 miles from home, oh **** state trooper hiding up ahead. Funny how they always shake their heads when I pull my helmet of and see an old fart on a fast bike. Well at least he gave me a break on the level of speed. He put down 40+ in a 30 on the ticket, $105 bucks that could be used for something else.

So the rest of the ride was kind of subdued. Takes all my concentration to resist the temptation to rip it through the gears. Wah Wah
Old 04-13-2015, 08:53 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Pidge
Unplugged the battery tender, checked the tire pressure, and oil level. Cranked her our of the driveway, about 3 miles from home, oh **** state trooper hiding up ahead. Funny how they always shake their heads when I pull my helmet of and see an old fart on a fast bike. Well at least he gave me a break on the level of speed. He put down 40+ in a 30 on the ticket, $105 bucks that could be used for something else.

So the rest of the ride was kind of subdued. Takes all my concentration to resist the temptation to rip it through the gears. Wah Wah
SSDY

Same Shyte Diff year.

I did the same thing about 3 yrs ago - less than a mile from my house

He gave me a break too. And if I remember correctly it was the same cost as yours.

Stay Safe & watch out for the LEO's

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?