General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Tank slappin' Ducati put me off!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
Tank slappin' Ducati put me off!

So I was keeping my good old VTR and trading up my Buell for a Sport Classic....until I saw the Ducati forums and checked out the handling of the Sport Classic! I had a bike lined up to buy, but the reviews and problems related to tankslappers put that idea to bed! Check out this link - but refill your coffee before you start....

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=93058

Makes me glad I've got the VTR!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I only made to the end of page one.....
Um yeah you might want to budget some $$ for some suspension upgrades and a steering damper if you really want one of those.....
Old 08-07-2010, 11:16 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Yeah, sounds like they could use a steering damper, big time. And maybe a fork brace to boot.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:03 AM
SuperSport

ranchomice is on a distinguished road
Anyone here ever experience this on a hawk? Here in CA. they are ALWAYS doing this to our freeways.
Another question...Are the tires on that duc more narrow than on the hawk?
Old 08-08-2010, 04:20 AM
SuperSport

Crashrat is on a distinguished road
Here are the highlights:

"The traditional answer is increased rake and trail. That is what true "classic" Ducatis had. But these days quickness of steering is more highly valued than ultimate stability so those numbers on almost all sportbikes have been reduced and wheelbase intentionally shortened. The result is what some call 'twitchiness."

and / or

"It is not the forks or wheels, because some riders have replaced these and still been thrown off. The obvious difference between our bikes and other Ducs is the rear fork; we have twin-shocks other models have mono-shock."

and / or

"My theory is that the stock forks are undersprung and over dampened. Undersprung means most riders, even a lightweight like me (sub 180 lbs) is using up over half the travel just sitting on the bike. Being overdampened results in the fork not able to react quick enough to succesive bumps causing the fork to "stack up", compressing a little at each bump but not able to rebound quick enough for the next hit. Over a rough road your run out of travel and end up with a steeper head tube angle, less trail, less stability. Just my theory."

I didn't know they changed the rake and trail on these. It's a little silly if they did. There are lots of things retro that didn't work. It seems to me that it's a combo of the rear shocks and an altered rake / trail, maybe with the effect of higher cars tossed in. You can probably fix all this with about $800 work of suspension tweaks, but who wants to do this on a new bike?

Oh, and he's a guy from Canada smearing the name of the VTR1000:

"Well, thanks guys - you just saved me from trading my immaculate Buell Lightning (yes, along with it shitty HD engine), and my Honda Firestorm VTR 1000 twin sport tourer (yep - one of those boring Jap jobs)."
Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 AM
SuperSport

Rake and trail

Classic:24°, 92mm

Monster 1000: 24°, 96mm

VTR: 24.9°, 97mm
Old 08-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Back Marker

Ha, Crashrat! LOL...the other forums that are non-Jap always seem to class our beloved Firestorms along with the Jap-slanging of 'boring', 'characterless' and the rest! Just giving the Duc boys a rhetorical poke in the eye!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Back Marker

Not sure what causes the tankslapper on the SC. My Buell's rake is just 21 degrees, but the bike is dead stable in all conditions and has never given me any scares.

My thoughts are, with a $10,000 used bike, you shouldn't have to spend another grand making it safe! And by comparison, my VTR is an awesome bike; although (I believe) my VTR is stock in the suspension area, it suits my riding. With all the train tracks, rutted roads and graded repairs around the countryside where I live, the Honda never hesitates to give a rock solid feel. Great bike.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well the trail number is rather small which could be the reason for the tank slappers. A TL1000R had a trail of 90.6mm and it was a known tank slapper waiting to happen also.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM
SuperSport

LOL! That was YOU!? I had no idea

I've been thinking bad things about BMW's F800GS lately. Thank god there's no way I can afford such a thing! I will; scratch these Classics off my dream list. Great looking machines, though.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Back Marker

LOL Crashrat! I was having a bit of fun with the Ducati biyts who seemed annpyed at my concerns over the Duc! You'll also see that I referred to my Buell as the 'one with the shitty HD engine'! Yet my Buell's been great and never miised a beat!

Yep. the Duc looks fab, but not for me...
Old 08-08-2010, 12:05 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
There are also a lot of good looking beef cattle that you wouldnt want to try riding either. I think that it is foolish that a bike be that "twitchy". To give you an idea, I have the superhawk set with enough preload in the rear to carry 100lbs of gear (and I am 230). Even with the rear sitting higher than it should, I have never had it get too twitchy (maybe a little harsh).
Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i love my 1098, and superhawk.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
Ha, the other forums that are non-Jap always seem to class our beloved Firestorms along with the Jap-slanging of 'boring', 'characterless' and the rest! Just giving the Duc boys a rhetorical poke in the eye!
Around here Ducati's are a dime a dozen, but VTR's are very rare (I've seen no more than 20 in the 5 years I've owned mine). My wife and I ride to a biker hangout most Sunday mornings for breakfast, and my bike gets at least as much attention as the Duc's. Guys will squat down and try to see the engine. They know what's powering a Ducati.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
My SS1000 shook its head a bit one time while I was riding fast along a rough road with tar snakes in the presence of a very strong cross wind.

Nothing really serious but it got me thinking about fitting a steering damper on my duc, and on my VTR.

An under-inflated front tire can also make matters worse. Also a broken rear shock, as demonstated in this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ1srcQMa_0