General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Talk me out of buying a super chicken

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:23 AM
Squid

Alexxia is on a distinguished road
Talk me out of buying a super chicken

Hi superhawk fans!

Here's my dilemma... I'm trying to talk myself out of buying a superhawk.

But why they ask?

I've had sportbikes before. ...zx6r, cbr600rr, fzr400, and a standard-ish ninja 650...i even did several track days, i was slow, never got my knee down (except when i crashed), but i felt like a better rider, gained confidence, and had fun.

Yet i sold everyone of those bikes for several reasons. ... with the 600's, they were horrible on the street. ... uncomfortable, not fun to ride slowly or at speeds that don't result in jail time. The 650 ninja lacked personality and was a little ugly to my eye, but it was honestly a nice little bike. The FZR was my first bike and it was a blast but very peaky and not comfortable.

So i got out of the riding game for a good 5 years and just returned. I told myself I'd buy a cheap, fun, slow non-sportbike.

I picked up an 09 crf230m supermoto for cheap and have been riding it around.

I like that the looks different, that i don't get categorized in the Harley or (sic) crotch rocket crowd. It's vain but i like having something that's different.

I can Rev the pants off this thing and run through the gears to look up and see I'm going 40mph and have no worries of being ticketed or being reckless. Jumping curbs and other hooliganism is also fun.

But the little bike isn't exactly smooth and the bike is small enough that isuspect i look like an amazon on it (I'm almost 6'tall). The exhaust note of the thumper is better than a 4 cylinder for sure but it can't sing like a beautiful v twin.

So as the title suggests, tell me why i shouldn't (or should) buy the super chicken?

I admit i think they look beautiful, like an old air cooled, 2 valve Ducati. Oh and the engine note must be glorious. .. Ive never owned a twin but i had several rides on an sv650 and loved the sound, even though it had a stock exhaust.

Here's a local listing which i blame for this thread!

1998 Honda VTR1000 Superhawk 996

I don't know anyone locally, I'm not mechanically inclined, and yes, I'm a lady rider.

My riding is mostly easy cruising and scenic routes with occasional back roads. .. hard to find in Tampa Bay!
Old 02-23-2015, 09:24 AM
Back Marker

ZERO is on a distinguished road
I recently got one for my wife and went through the mods. She absolutely loves it! Make sure that yours has aftermarket manual cam chain tensioners. The rest of the bike is super reliable. Very unusual. A full sized 1000 and sounds fantastic!

Last edited by ZERO; 02-23-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, can't help you. Talk you out of a SuperHawk, that is.

That looks like a pretty clean 98. If you end up with it, I highly recommend swapping the auto CCT's (cam chain tensioners) for manuals as ZERO recommends. It also probably needs to have the OEM R&R (rectifier/regulator) swapped out for a mosfet unit.

Make those two mods and you'll take care of the two weak links in this bike. But, you probably shouldn't buy it.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:22 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
My friend Vik has one and loves hers

Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 AM
Squid

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like other girls dig their super hawks. .

question. .. how uncomfortable is the bike? How long before you get tired? I'm not 20 years old and some double jointed gymnast on the side so keep that in mind.

Another big thing. .. is this bike happy going. ... slow? I think most of you know what i mean, almost all sportbikes are happy going fast but at lesser speeds, a slower pace, and urban roads they aren't enjoyable. I don't want a cruiser but i like something that can cruise a bit and be fun at a responsible pace.

Good to know about that CCT and regulator. .. since my mechanical aptitude only goes as far as oil changes, those issues would have me at the mercy of a dealer who would no doubt make my purse very very light with labor and parts cost.

Last edited by Alexxia; 02-23-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:24 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
R U from NJ originally?

But if you're concerned about fixing, find a local mechanic with a good rep. These are pretty easy to work on.

U won't regret buying a VTR
Old 02-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Back Marker

Pidge is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Alexxia
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like other girls dig their super hawks. .

question. .. how uncomfortable is the bike? How long before you get tired? I'm not 20 years old and some double jointed gymnast on the side so keep that in mind.

Another big thing. .. is this bike happy going. ... slow? I think most of you know what i mean, almost all sportbikes are happy going fast but at lesser speeds, a slower pace, and urban roads they aren't enjoyable. I don't want a cruiser but i like something that can cruise a bit and be fun at a responsible pace.

Good to know about that CCT and regulator. .. since my mechanical aptitude only goes as far as oil changes, those issues would have me at the mercy of a dealer who would no doubt make my purse very very light with labor and parts cost.
I bought mine last year, I'm 58 and no gymnast either. Relatively comfortable for a sporty bike though not a sport tourer comfortable. Many have fitted aftermarket seats, I went on a 3K plus mile trip last fall and used a AirHawk seat cushion. Without it about 2 hrs in the saddle is all I can take.

Going slow not problem, these bikes have amazing torque at relatively low rpm so you can put along as low as 2500 rpm and still give the gas and go like stink. Not at all like the sport bikes you listed as ridden.

If you take it for a test ride you will be grinning form ear to ear.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:07 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
If this helps for many years I used to ride my bike to Buffalo and back plus incidental miles. Took 9hrs one way and I would do it straight through except gas.

It is a very comfortable bike. I have a corbin seat and givi luggage along with a cruise control but they do long trips great.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Squid

Wow, am i from NJ? I don't think anyone's ever asked me that. Now I wonder if I'm speaking in some secret NJ-only code!

In short, nope, I'm not from NJ but hey, I've been there and the hills near Rutgers are nice, not so much in say Newark!

The CCT (spelling?) and regulator fixes are just the sort of warnings I need to rethink this craziness of replacing my little supermoto with a liter bike like the super hawk, seeing as I'm pretty mechanically inept - besides oil changes anyway.

I think back to the sportbikes I've had and remember how not fun they were to ride in the city at street-legal speeds. It was like driving a ferrai in a school zone...

So that makes me wonder if the 'Hawk would be like this. I'm guessing in first gear alone you could see 60+ mph on the bike? Meanwhile on the supermoto, I might be comfortably in 3rd gear at 20mph
Old 02-23-2015, 04:43 PM
Back Marker

UCF Eric is on a distinguished road
Can't talk you out of it either, got mine with 9.5k miles on it and now at 15.5k after 8 months. You should get it so we can add another Superhawk to FL that is on the forums.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:53 PM
Squid

Bustin is on a distinguished road
The VTR is a sweet bike , no question. They sound AWESOME with some boomin' exhaust cans on them , and have an intangible sex appeal that is usually reserved for the exotic sporting twins like Ducati, etc. I have no problem riding mine at or near the speed limit, with that sweet music from those Erion pipes thumping in my ears . With the torque available, I find I can ride "fast" without doubling the posted speed limit.... a quick twist out of a corner will bring it up easily without the usual wind-up involved with a peaky four cylinder sportbike , and the whole process doesn't have to result in the speedo climbing into felony territory.

In other words if you want a super fun bike that turns heads and get a lot of thumbs up , the Superhawk is a great choice.

In stock trim, this bike will put you down into that stereotypical "sportbike" hunch , especially the pre-2000 models with their super-low clip-on bars. Very similar to the 600s that you previously owned on the ergos. Not a problem if you just want to rip around town , hit the track , or do some local day rides. But if you have any plans to tour, which would involve logging hundreds of miles a day in the saddle, this bike might not be the best choice , especially if you aren't a twenty-something year old kid that can pretty much recover from anything overnight .

One more positive about this model is the fact that a well-kept example is fully depreciated now, kind of at the bottom of the curve at this stage of the game , and you could very possibly end up making money on this bike should you decide to sell a few years down the road. I've been collecting Mr. Honda's bikes for years, and somewhere around the twenty-year old mark (give or take) the really good models inevitably start to command some collector $$$ value on the used market, if they are in decent original condition.

Good luck with whatever you decide , Alexxia
Old 02-23-2015, 05:12 PM
Back Marker

AndyMX47 is on a distinguished road
The owner is a liar. The ad says "no wheelies". My first rides on the Superhawk around my NEIGHBORHOOD I did several wheelies by accident, rolling on the throttle at 3500 rpm. Frown to myself "did the front end just come up?" Roll it on again - yep!

Seriously though, you'll love it. Offer $2400 cash, find another local superhawk owner to help with the cam chain tensioner installation, and be happy. Even if you paid a shop to do it, you would have the bike for under $3,000.

I put VFR 800 bars on mine - took a little work grinding and drilling - but it made a huge difference in the comfort. The engine is amazing - chugs along happily at 3,000 rpm all day.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:34 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
The super hawk is just over 400lbs has enough horsepower to make anyone smile and happily cruises along at 3,500 rpm's all day long. I prefer to ride mine at 5,000 rpm's so instant power is available and it also let's all around know where I am, It only has a 120-140 mile range so long trips mean plenty of fuel stops/stretches, I am good for an hour and a half before I need a 15 min rest but that works for me and my type of riding. The CCT's can be replaced for $90 more in parts if you do it when you have your valves checked/adjusted due at 24,000 miles or about, The VFR bars really help your riding position and was a bolt on mod for me in less than an hour, looks like a really nice bike and not a bad price, good luck with your choice.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:47 AM
SuperSport

Wow, am i from NJ? I don't think anyone's ever asked me that. Now I wonder if I'm speaking in some secret NJ-only code!

In short, nope, I'm not from NJ but hey, I've been there and the hills near Rutgers are nice, not so much in say Newark!
I knew a girl with the same name that was part of an old moto forum in the NYC Metro area.

But anyway buy the hawk, I have the OEM manual I let you have & you can learn how to do maintenance your self.

Good luck
Old 02-24-2015, 04:53 AM
Night Rider
Squid

Apocalypse is on a distinguished road
buy the Hawk

This bike is the most fun one I've ridden while still being useable around town. slow riding is really quite good and stable and working on it yourself is pretty easy and straightforward for most things. I think you should get it.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:19 AM
Squid

Mad props to everyone who replied!

Random thoughts. .

Seller still has the bike so i may see it. A test ride would really help though i hate the idea of a joy ride or kicking tires.

I used to live in Ny... Maybe I'm that Alexxia?

looks like this bike would potentially need a valve Clearence check, cct, and regulator which at most stealerships in Tampa Bay. .. would be about $600+...

Also the riser bars would be a plus so that's likely another $200+.

so that puts this hypothetical bike purchase at. .. $2700 (bike) + $800 (parts &labor ) cct, regulator, valve check, riser/vfr bars + $350 ( tax/title) = $3950..ouch

Last edited by Alexxia; 02-24-2015 at 06:25 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:54 AM
SuperSport

Were U on TSSB forum? And did some rides with that group?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

Random thoughts. .

Seller still has the bike so i may see it. A test ride would really help though i hate the idea of a joy ride or kicking tires.

looks like this bike would potentially need a valve Clearence check, cct, and regulator which at most stealerships in Tampa Bay. .. would be about $600+...

Also the riser bars would be a plus so that's likely another $200+.

so that puts this hypothetical bike purchase at. .. $2700 (bike) + $800 (parts &labor ) cct, regulator, valve check, riser/vfr bars + $350 ( tax/title) = $3950..ouch
Sorry... Another one here... I have owned some 30+ bikes... And since the VTR moved in some 14 years ago, it has been the one constant in my garage... I have bought ans sold brand new bikes, used bikes, modded bikes... Bikes of all sorts...

The one bike still with me, and the one I very much doubt I'll ever sell, is the VTR...

It's a highly capable bike in the hands of a good rider, and in the hands of a novice that has a decent sense of self preservation, its a good tool for learning, as its somewhat forgiving... That is, unless you whack the throttle wide open at the wrong time... It will spit you off faster than you can believe if you provoke it... That's the only drawback of having gobs of low-end torque available from the big twin...

The main drawbacks as far as reliability has already been mentioned CCT's and Regulator/Rectifier... Both are possible to fix as DIY projects with little tools and a little knowledge... There are great guides here on the site, and members willing to help, both online (Me!), and in person if you have one local to you... So, I'm not sure Id exactly count it out like you do, as dollars... Could be a learning experience instead... Even with as you say, limited mechanical ability, I'm fairly certain I could talk you through swapping the R/R for a more reliable one...

And, look at it this way... Once those things are fixed, this bike is about as near bulletproof as you will likely find...

Now, I'm not going to ask a lady about her weight, but at 6 feet plus, it's entirely possible you will prefer to update the suspension, both for comfort, and for grip... But that depends a lot on riding style... On my part, I tend to ride things to their limit once in awhile... (And at times beyond the limits of both the bike, and my own capability too... Despite being old enough to know better... ) So for me it's a given, but you might feel otherwise... At least, it's not needed from the get-go...

Last edited by Tweety; 02-24-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:11 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
If you live near a forum member who has changed thier CCT's (or R/R, or have done a valve clearence check), I'm sure they would help you out with but a six pack for thier time. I have replaced CCT's to manual ones for several forum members. If you lived around here, I'd help you out as well. But, if you aren't able to find someone, there is, like Tweety says, a great guide to help you. We can point you to a link that is a step by step procedure with pictures. Anybody can do it! If you can change your oil, then you can do this as well. If you ever have any questions, post them here and we all can help.

The bike you linked to looks great and a decent price. That D&D exhaust sounds AWESOME! I just purchased this exact same exhaust to replace my Jardine RT-1 exhaust. It arrives at my doorstep later today actually. You will be super happy with how they sound. They certainly aren't quiet, but not obnoxiously loud either.

Go for that test ride! You will be hooked on the V-Twin. Just do not wack the throttle in first gear or you will be doing calisthenics trying to get the bike off you before you know what happened.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
You stated that your are not mechanically inclined. To that I say, "now is a good time to learn." You don't have to rebuild engines but a nice selection of tools and the ability to perform regular maintenance tasks like oil changes and chain adjustments will pay you dividends in the long run. You will also become more familiar with your bike and that's always a good thing. The VTR, for a modern bike, is pretty easy to work on. As CruxGNZ says, you can change the CCTs with care and with the detailed instructions from this forum. The wonderful thing about the Internet is expert advice and help is always available through the forum.

Last edited by Big_Jim59; 02-24-2015 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:22 AM
Squid

Nhjhawk..i was on TSSB a while back but that site seems to have been dead for a long, long time.

Now for the good stuff. ..

Are you kidding me ? I'd love to be that girl who can rebuild an engine!

Unfortunately even my honest attempts at learning are thwarted.

Quick example. .

i recently bought a car for track and autocross. So i want to do basic things like change the spark plugs since the dealer will charge me $500+ (yes you read right). Parts are maybe $30 and that's5

for the plugs. .. so i buy the actual factory service manual. ..

step 1... remove intake manifold. .

huh? How do i do that? No steps, no list of tools i need to buy, it's just assumed you were born knowing this. I watch some youtube videos and see more of the same. .."pop off the intake, then remove the coil packs, and then remove the plugs"

after cursing the automotive industry, my unfortunate luck of not having had mechanic dad or a handyman brother i resign myself to making an appointment at the dealer.

It's not as easy as some of you suggest when you're staying from zero. .. and it has zero to do with a willingness to get dirty, dirty under my nails and elbow grease don't scare me. .. not knowing what the heck I'm supposed to do, how to do it, and what tools to use are the maddening part.

Last edited by Alexxia; 02-24-2015 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:14 PM
Superstock

Nhjhawk..i was on TSSB a while back but that site seems to have been dead for a long, long time.

Now for the good stuff. ..

Are you kidding me ? I'd love to be that girl who can rebuild an engine!

Unfortunately even my honest attempts at learning are thwarted.

Quick example. .

i recently bought a car for track and autocross. So i want to do basic things like change the spark plugs since the dealer will charge me $500+ (yes you read right). Parts are maybe $30 and that's5

for the plugs. .. so i buy the actual factory service manual. ..

step 1... remove intake manifold. .

huh? How do i do that? No steps, no list of tools i need to buy, it's just assumed you were born knowing this. I watch some youtube videos and see more of the same. .."pop off the intake, then remove the coil packs, and then remove the plugs"

after cursing the automotive industry, my unfortunate luck of not having had mechanic dad or a handyman brother i resign myself to making an appointment at the dealer.

It's not as easy as some of you suggest when you're staying from zero. .. and it has zero to do with a willingness to get dirty, dirty under my nails and elbow grease don't scare me. .. not knowing what the heck I'm supposed to do, how to do it, and what tools to use are the maddening part.
You are right. It's not easy. I was lucky and had my grandfather. I was tearing down lawnmowers for him, in his shop, when I was 10 years old. I have a friend in Colorado. She started from scratch with a Norton Commando. She walked into a Norton Club tech day cold turkey. This was very hard for her because she does not do crowds well. Today she does everything on her Norton and her Ducati.

Take it one step at a time. You are among friends here. Everyone, even the best mechanics in the world, start someplace. Here are a few words of wisdom that have served me in good stead:

1) It goes back together the way it came apart. (No left over parts) This my seem obvious and it is.
2) Loosen bolts counter clockwise. Tighten bolts clockwise. This too seems obvious but many bolts have been twisted off my mistake.
3) You will take more care to do the job right because it's your bike/car.
4) The best advice I ever got was "You never build anything with your head up your ***!" This means paying attention to detail. Take notes (see #1) or take pictures. I put parts that come off in zip lock sandwich bags and label them with a sharpie. I make cardboard holders for case screws so that I know how they came out and how they will go back in. You have to think of it as a big puzzle that only goes together one way.

Personally, I do not get dirty anymore. I keep a box of latex gloves and use them whenever I do any type of repair work. These are the best things since sliced bread.

Tools you need to start:
3/8" drive ratchet
3/8" metric sockets fro 8mm to 19mm
3/8" 6" extension
3/8" metric allen wrench set (I prefer the 5/8" drive to the keys or t-handles)
3/8" spark plug socket wrench
a set of open/box end wrenches from 8mm to 19mm
machinist hammer
Philips screwdriver
flat blade screwdriver
big flat blade screwdriver (use as a pry bar)
needle nose pliers
slip joint pliers
Torque wrench (this is probably the most expensive item of the list but it's really necessary for engine work.)

This is a basic set and you can get most of this per-packaged at a good auto supply store.

A lot of what you lack is confidence. This come with experience. How do you separate a clutch cover from the engine when you know all the screws are out and it's just stuck on with the gasket? Do you hit it? how hard and where and with what?

Start with small things like an oil change to build confidence. (Changing plugs may not be an easy job in modern cars.) A lot of sport bike groups have tech days. Get involved, watch and ask stupid questions. I have learned that the most knowledgeable people a willing to teach you everything they know if you are interested and listen.

Above all it's a lot of fun and leaves you with intense satisfaction that you are truly the master/mistress of your own bike.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:55 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
You should get a Harley.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by xeris
You should get a Harley.
Talk about needing tools!

Last edited by Big_Jim59; 02-24-2015 at 01:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:41 PM
Back Marker

brothermike is on a distinguished road
I forgot to mention 100,000 miles on a well cared for hawk in not uncommon. Plenty of aftermarket parts available, easy oil changes,will soon be a classic and going up in value.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:06 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road

I can Rev the pants off this thing and run through the gears to look up and see I'm going 40mph and have no worries of being ticketed or being reckless.
No, really, a Harley would be perfect.

Originally Posted by Big_Jim59
Talk about needing tools!
You don't need tools when you own a HD. You just make sure it's running enough to make to the local biker watering hole and guys will be tripping over each other to help.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Just like here on this forum.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:22 PM
Squid

A Harley?

They'll have to put one in my cold, dead hands. ..

Tweety, big Jim, appreciate the encouragement while some of the others are taking the ****.

Turns out the owner of the CL hawk might make this easy. Apparently he's in a totally different state so i can't even see the bike. I half expect him to ask me to wire him money at his bank in Nigeria. ..
Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 PM
Superstock

A Harley?

They'll have to put one in my cold, dead hands. ..
I like the way you think!
Old 02-24-2015, 08:00 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Keep after it... Sometimes the best deals are found inside the weirdest circumstance. If the bike is for sale, then the most persistent person will get it.

James

Quick Reply: Talk me out of buying a super chicken