General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Rpms while driving around?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Squid

sabermammoth is on a distinguished road
Rpms while driving around?

Just curious if I am normal. I tend to rarely get the bike over 4k when cruising around. When I have gotten on-it, I don't think I have taken it above 7k. Its something to do with the sound of the motor I guess.
Maybe I am being to easy on the bike? There is probably a point in the rpms that is best for oiling cams of the motor?
Old 11-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Just curious if I am normal. No.

I tend to rarely get the bike over 4k when cruising around. You are ***** footin' it.

When I have gotten on-it, I don't think I have taken it above 7k. See above.

Its something to do with the sound of the motor I guess. That would be the V-Twin between your legs. It makes you feel like a man.

Maybe I am being to easy on the bike? Yes.

There is probably a point in the rpms that is best for oiling cams of the motor? So, you're saying Honda disregarded oil pressure at certain RPM's? I don't think SkokieVTR or 8541Hawk would agree.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:39 PM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Mate,

Get up it son, True the VTR developers its maximum torque at 7000revs, but after that the soundtrack is awesome.

I usually cruise at 4.5 to 6000 revs however I have hit the limiter on many occasions chasing or escaping from my riding buddies.

I have found that the VTR is very civilised at lower revs and gives the impression of being a bit sedate.

Try giving it wide open throttle in 4th gear, watch the revs rise and experience a change in character.

Without being critical I have to say that you are babying your bike and missing out on the best of it.

I would love to see what comes out your pipes if you give your bike a bit of stick, lots of carbon and crap more than likely.

Remember that your bike is running most efficiently at 7000 revs and if you poodle around at 3000 revs you are doing more harm than good.

What gearing do you have? I run standard because of the long open spaces that I ride in and I have many mods to my bike and engine.

These bikes beg for and need a good flogging every now and then.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:25 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
It's a golden rule: the ratio between a riders smile and his motorcycle is directly affected by the angle of riders wrist and the turn of the throttle.

I will 3rd that you are being to easy on the throttle. If you are concerned there is a problem then post up a video of the bike running in the higher RPMS and post it up here so we can disect it or just assure you that it's a big V Twin and that it's normal.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:22 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i believe you are talking about a casual cruising engine speed. i tend to keep the bike in a higher gear when just casually cruising. i am not sure what the tach would read for rpm but if i had to guess i would say low 3s, maybe 3300rm or so. i like the low rpm sound, the firing pulses being spaced out more tends to make them sound exaggerated.
when the going gets faster so do the rpms.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
While you can ride it at those RPM's, there is no benefit.
If you want to know how high to ride in RPM's "normally"
Make several acceleration runs from 3k to Redline and "feel" where the power lets off and the "pull" stops. That's the end of the power and where you should be shifting up in most scenarios. there are specif reasons to hold a shift longer, post the major point of power... but that aside.. once its past peak power, its going down..so shift.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:53 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
I used to cruise around town at 2700. Itll feel jerky. But there are a lot of situations where you need to pussyfoot it especially if your in the city. I rarely see over 3900 unless I am away from the city. I my self cruise at 3200. I see no reason to go any higher. Is it in the power band. Hell NO! If you want to smile more Keep the revs over 3500 and shift like Erik says when she starts to loose power. Just my o2 as I am still a new rider. Ive only had my own bike since September. The others here most it aint there first bike. I am totally for not cruising over 4,000 if your in a slow area.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:51 PM
Squid

jjansenrs is on a distinguished road
I have 3 pre-set riding modes in my wrist.

C mode - normal, and driving like I would in a car, or when I see a cop. 2% of ride time.

B mode - fast, but not reckless. hammer down mid rpm range, above 4000 below 7000. 90% of ride time.

A mode - way too fast. using full capabilities of bike. laws broken, cops informed, get out. 8% of ride time.

I bought mine as a toy, I use it as a toy, I beat it like a toy. No sense in letting the NEXT owner have all the fun!
Old 11-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
B mode for the win. A mode will get ya killed or put in jail... not that any of us have ever done that *cough cough*
Old 11-15-2016, 04:53 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Good stuffs.
I say ride it how you are comfortable. Don't take revs down so low that the motor "chugs". If you don't feel like going past 7k, don't.