General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Relocated coolant bottle

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Relocated coolant bottle

At the moment, I am heading home from a job, riding shotgun and messing on my iPad. I figured that I would at least get this thread going.

This is born out of a need to get one's big hands into the frame to adjust Jack Flash's Thumb Fuel Screws. There was some talk about relocating the coolant bottle before here and here.

I had placed a 2" x 5" metal tube behind the right radiator and found that, although small, it has enough volume for our coolant system.

I had this 2" x 5" tube placed near the rear of the right radiator and towards the inside of the bike. While this worked just fine, I didn't like the fact that it was blocking airflow through the radiator. After working on another members bike, I found that once the PAIR system has been deleted, there is a fantastic spot to put the coolant overflow bottle. It can be attached to the bottom of the airbox.

I will elaborated on this stuff some more tomorrow. Here are some random pictures to get you guys by for now. The pictures of the white plastic is me making a plastic coolant bottle with a stock filler cap. It turned out quite well actually. More pictures this weekend!

Name:  20140814_132114.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  111.5 KB
Name:  20140814_132157_LLS.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  68.0 KB
Name:  20140814_140726.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  73.2 KB
Name:  20140814_140740.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  75.9 KB

Once the PAIR system is removed, this is one of the attachment points underneath the airbox for the relocated coolant bottle.
Name:  20140814_140755.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  98.3 KB

At my fingertips, here is a trial fitting of the 2" x 5" metal tube under the airbox. Yes, it fits quite nicely, but a plastic bottle would look better.
Name:  20140814_140824.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  76.6 KB

Name:  20140814_210539.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  116.8 KB

Here I am finding how much fluid is displaced with our coolant system. Hey, it worked.
Name:  20140815_155734.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  86.0 KB
Name:  20140815_155745.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  98.5 KB

I will have several questions and also some explainations this weekend.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:29 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
It's great your wife helps out in the shop, she has dainty hands.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:47 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info so far, looking forward to the finished product.

Pics always help.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Kenmoore, I appologize for not posting this stuff sooner. I mentioned that I would make a thread last week, but I got called out of town and that kind of threw a wrench into my plans. I just posted what was already on my phone. I still need to take pictures of everything mounted and post them.

I'll take some pictures of the new plastic coolant bottle that goes under the airbox. What's funny, is it looks like the stock coolant bottle, but like half the size. The cap sits right next to the rear valve cover. So, to fill the bottle or check the fluid level, you just lift the tank.

My question is, would mounting the coolant bottle under the airbox be a better spot? It works great on my bike. However, this is what was done in order for the new mounting spot.
-Removed carb coolant lines (not necessary, but it makes more room)
-Removed PAIR system

Another question, and this is for those that have removed the PAIR system, do you have a mount on the bottom of the right side of your airbox like I do? (shown in picture #5 from the top...or bottom)

Just thinking out loud here, but I got the coolant bottle relocated to behind the right radiator and it worked just like stock. But recently seeing a better spot, I want to pursue this mounting location instead. I guess, if there are people out there that have not removed thier PAIR system, then the relocation to behind the right raciator would work. Otherwise, for those that have removed the PAIR system, then the relocation to under the airbox would work. However, since my free time lately has been almost nonexistent, I would like to make just one relocation kit for those that wanted it. Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:41 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I want the under the airbox relocation. Can you post or pm specifics on what i need to make this happen? Just today i needed to tweak the carb mixture screws and i couldn't because the coolant bottle was in the way...

James
Old 08-24-2014, 05:00 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I think I'd favor the right radiator but would like to see pix first. I want as much room as possible around the carbs. I have fat hands.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Hold on guys. Just having a couple issues to work out. I'll have something soon.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

How about now...?
Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

To be quite honest, I can't. Or well, don't want to. It's laying on my work bench in three pieces. I'll explain in a later post.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
This is a great project. I guess the issure is that the coolant bottle needs in and out tube. There is space behind the fairing kinda in the snorkel intake thing. My racebike has it up there.

I dont love the idea of lifting the tank to add coolant. I like to check it often. Sadly this is like 10th on my project list.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I am a newbie at fabricating with plastic. I have done quite a few projects like, simple boxes, right angles for mounts, etc., but none as complex as this coolant bottle. Here is the issue I had. I thought that I had all the same type of plastic when building the plastic tank (the one that mounts to the underside of the airbox). Apparently not. I choose Styrene for the body and turns out that tube that runs down the center of the bottle was ABS. When you weld them together, they stick, but the weld does not work. This let loose and fell apart after a few rides. I was quite embarassed and didn't want to show my shoddy work.

[I plastic welded most of this. However, you can use plastic epoxy just the same. All plastic I mention is styrene]
How I made it
I figure, the less seems I have, the better. So, I made a wooden buck in the shape and size of the coolant bottle. I then use a heat gun and soften a 2.25" wide (the width of the coolant bottle) sheet of plastic and wrap it around the wooden buck. After it cools, it holds the shape of the wooden buck. Now, where the two ends of that sheet touch each other, I then weld that seem. I now have a continious piece of plastic.
I then place that shaped piece onto a sheet of styrene and trace the outline. I do that for both sides. Then cut the sheet. I then weld both sides on. I now have a coolant bottle.

Next step, is to cut the holes. First, a hole for the top, where the cap for the bottle is. I found forming the neck and cap out of plastic took way too much time, so I cut the top off of an old BMW coolant bottle I had laying around. You could also use the Superhawk's coolant bottle neck and top for this, if you have one available to you. Since I didn't know what type of plastic the BMW coolant bottle was made out of, I couldn't weld it. So, I used plastic epoxy to fasten the neck onto the new coolant bottle. Next, is the hole for the coolant expansion & return. I used a 1/4" styrene tube for this and cut it to length. I was worried about the hose possibly coming off, so I heated the end of the styrene tube a little bit and then pushed it down onto a hard surface, trying my best to keep it perpendicular to the surface. This deforms the end a bit and makes a rib.
Now, the cap on the BMW coolant bottle has a hole in it for coolant overflow (looks like a baby's bottle nipple). I don't mind a little coolant on my engine, if it was ever to happen. So, I left it alone. However, if you use the Superhawk's coolant bottle neck & cap, you will need to make an overflow. Just drill another hole and weld a 1/4" tube to the coolant bottle as high as you can. You can then attach a hose to this and have the coolant overflow hose run down and come out underneath the bike, just like stock.

Next step is drilling a hole completely through the center of the coolant bottle, from the top to the bottom. If you look under the airbox, there is but one screw to attach this coolant bottle to. After much thought on how to fasten this coolant bottle to the airbox with one screw, I came up with using a 3/4" plastic tube with a plastic washer of sorts on the inside of that tube. If you look at the fastening point under the airbox, it is a solid plastic rod, for lack of better words, with a hole at the end where a screw screws in. The screw goes through the center of the plastic washer that fits inside the plastic tube. The 3/4" plastic tube fits over the plastic rod on the airbox. This tube is then slid through both holes and welded to the coolant bottle. The coolant bottle is then slid onto the plastic rod underneath the airbox. Where the coolant bottle bottoms out, this is where the plastic washer is located inside the plastic tube. Mark where it goes and weld it in place.
The coolant bottle is now finished.

I would like to use ABS plastic to fabricate this with. I really don't like styrene. Anybody know where I can purchase ABS in thin sheets and 3/4" tube? I just now remembered Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. I'll check them out.

I will post pictures later.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-01-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM
SuperSport

Might be cool to use the right upper extruded frame member for a coolant resevoir. Scary part is welding a couple bungs for cap and tube without weakening the member
Old 09-16-2014, 09:37 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

One thing I realized that I never posted was the volume of coolant displaced when the engine was hot. The amount is about half a cup (only measuring device I had handy) of fluid for my '98 Superhawk.

I had to hit up a hobby store and while I was checking out some items, I noticed that RC boat fuel tanks were exactly the size and volume needed for the coolant bottle! The decent ones have a screw on cap, and two nipples. You can get the right size on eBay for $12-$20. All that time spent fabricating that dang plastic, and there are ones already made. What makes me mad, is years ago, I used to have RC boats, monster trucks, and cars. It just never popped in my mind.

Anyways, I'm buying a few tanks and will let you guys know which one works the best under the airbox.

Looking at tanks like these:
This one
This one
And possibly this one
Or...maybe tuck this I.V. bag somewhere? Maybe...maybe not.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:00 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I amt thinking about relocating the stock one to under the seat/undertail area. I figure if people can stick mufflers, radiators & fans up there the stock bottle might fit too. But the RC boat bottles look pretty promising esp the first one.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:58 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I too would be mad about fabbing on only to see a machine beat you to it.

No way am I trusting a coloscomy bag for my precious hawk's coolant.

Does the overflow bottle have to be the same hieght as the stocker?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:08 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

I'd be down for the first or second one... Let me know which one ends up working best. Thanks for your experimentation!

James
Old 09-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Had the day off today (was in the E.R. yesterday. Got problems with my ticker), so against dr.'s orders, I flew over to a hobby store. Now, I know there are cheaper ones on eBay, but this one was right there in my hands. Clerk even let me take it outside to my bike to check and make sure it fits.
Here she is. Fits perfectly guys.

Name:  20140916_164606.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  51.8 KB

In the picture below, see the two bosses on top? These make for a fantastic attachment point. An aluminum bracket can be made super easy to hang this coolant bottle underneath the airbox. I'll post the pictures of the bracket when I make it.
The coolant expansion line from the radiator will attach to the nipple on the very bottom of the picture. The coolant bottle overflow will attach to the nipple on the left of the bottom attachment point.
Name:  20140916_164613.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  60.6 KB

In the picture below, the nipple underneath on the left is for any overflow/spill from filling the RC fuel tank. This can be left alone or cut off.
Name:  20140916_164623.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  76.7 KB

Name:  20140916_164654.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  51.8 KB

Sorry it's off 90 degrees.
Name:  20140916_164709.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  71.9 KB
Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
The hrc bottle fits nicely between the frame and side fairing
Name:  F5492E5D-BE36-4299-86DC-66195ADCD8ED_zpszb90zrbe.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  135.7 KB
You can just about see it
Old 09-16-2014, 08:13 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

More pics of the hrc bottle and mounting hardware.

Great job with the traxxas part!!!

James
Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by lloydievtr

You can just about see it
Badass bike Lloydie!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Nice find Crux. Wonder if one would work for and breather catch tank for the case breathers?

This could make jet changes possible without carb removal. That would be cool.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:02 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

Just two cable/zip ties to the frame .
Simple 2 minute job :-) .
Fill it half way job done .
I've had it fitted for months and it's fine and easy to see and check .
When/if you need to top it up just wiggle it out
Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I'm down for Lloydie's HRC bottle. I like the KISS rule behind that.

However, since I now have the Traxxas part, I'll still be installing it.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lloydievtr
HRC bottle ?? Clearer pic or part number please ?

Great looking bike by the way Lloydie.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Crux, my question to you is the plastics resistance to heat. That plastic bottle looks pretty thin. Perhaps you may want to test putting boiling water in it first before installing it. Discovering the hard way it won't resist to extreme heat coming from the coolant its self, or, engine may leave you frustrated, and with a dirty bike.

Not trying to criticize, just food for thought.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:07 AM
SuperSport

Lloydies setup is easy to check. Looks clean getting it out of the valley. I'll do if i can get my hands on an hrc bottle whatever that is
Old 09-17-2014, 12:32 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Crux, my question to you is the plastics resistance to heat. That plastic bottle looks pretty thin. Perhaps you may want to test putting boiling water in it first before installing it. Discovering the hard way it won't resist to extreme heat coming from the coolant its self, or, engine may leave you frustrated, and with a dirty bike.

Not trying to criticize, just food for thought.
No problem at all! It's not as thin as it looks. These are made for RC vehicles, which engines, usually nearby, get very hot. The Traxxas part is quite rigid (if you look closely, there are baffles inside, which also act as gusseting) It has to stand up to the hard hits these RC vehicles take. I'm certain that having boiling hot fluid inside the container will not be an issue. However, I will test it with boiling water and see how she stands up. Will report back in a bit...

EDIT: The heavy spring on the top makes it very hard to hold open while pouring a boiling liquid inside. Burned the crap out of my left pinky finger haha. The good news Mr. Flash, is there are no issues with a boiling liquid inside the Traxxas container. Just as rigid as before. I tried taking a picture, but it doesn't show the steam coming from the top.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-17-2014 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Updating
Old 09-17-2014, 02:57 PM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

Genuine HRC Honda Racing Overflow Expansion Catch Tank Radiator Water Bottle | eBay
hrc bottle .

the bottle is for race bikes and can take the heat with out problems
Old 09-17-2014, 03:26 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Made a simple bracket real quick, but in my haste, I didn't realize that I was measuring against a vacuum tube, which would make the coolant bottle sit back another 3/4"-1", hiding it completely when looking from the side. Which is great, because I don't want to see it out in the open (just a personal preference). I realize that there is a drawback to this bracket design and location. To fill the coolant bottle, you need to either lift the tank, or remove one screw.

Here's some pictures. I'll make another bracket to push it back the 3/4"-1"

In the picture below, the nipple left over from the PAIR removal is left in place and doesn't interfere with attaching the coolant bottle in this location. So, no need to modify the airbox.
Name:  20140917_164309.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  20140917_164329.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  61.3 KB

Name:  20140917_170845.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  20140917_170955.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  145.1 KB

Name:  20140917_171329.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  20140917_171337.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  81.0 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 09-17-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:20 PM
SuperSport

So you CAN do a visual on coolant level without popping the tank. Very cool

Quick Reply: Relocated coolant bottle