General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

No clutch. Won't start.

Old 11-23-2016, 09:44 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Oh, yeah, even cheaper is the other fix I did.

You can run a dedicated ground wire to the starter solenoid on the low voltage side and install a secret push button under the tail that starts the bike. Maybe $5 of parts.

It would buy you time to find the real culprit.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Squid

MustardNBizkits is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pidge
Continuity is one thing. Carrying enough current to energize the start relay is another. Many times I have been able to get a good continuity reading through a circuit but when you try to power something the bad connection will not allow enough current to flow. You need to measure voltage available to the start relay. Since the circuit is completed through the various switches on the ground side of the relay look for voltage there if voltage present then the path to ground is not complete.
I'm trying to comprehend what you're telling me to check, but it's just not clicking to me. Are you saying to test voltage at the starter relay? If so, on which terminal? The terminal going to the starter itself?
Old 11-24-2016, 02:10 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Oh, yeah, even cheaper is the other fix I did.

You can run a dedicated ground wire to the starter solenoid on the low voltage side and install a secret push button under the tail that starts the bike. Maybe $5 of parts.

It would buy you time to find the real culprit.
I thought about doing something like that temporarily but the bike still won't be ready for the road, just because it starts up. Lol
I'm still missing a full exhaust system and plastics that aren't broken.
Old 11-24-2016, 03:32 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MustardNBizkits
I'm trying to comprehend what you're telling me to check, but it's just not clicking to me. Are you saying to test voltage at the starter relay? If so, on which terminal? The terminal going to the starter itself?
I think what he's saying is that not only do you need continuity, but the ability to carry a decent current. I have had experience on my ST1100 where I had enough continuity to generate sparks at low rpm, but not enough to run happily over 3500 rpm. The cause was corrosion in connectors, and easily remedied.

You might check the voltage drop from the positive terminal along the circuit.

Voltage Drop Testing
Old 11-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Squid

Just for the hell of it, before I knew what I was being told to do, I checked my battery, and it was just under 12v. I left one prong on the ground terminal of my battery and pit the other on the lead coming from my starter relay going to the starter. With the ignition on and not pressing the button, it was just over 9v. When pressing the starter button, it read 1.4v coming out of the relay going to the starter.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:28 PM
MotoGP

What diabolical mind could possibly have seen that eventuality?

Like Rodney Dangerfield I get no respect.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:32 PM
Squid

What diabolical mind could possibly have seen that eventuality?

Like Rodney Dangerfield I get no respect.
I respect ya, Joe. So what does the problem fall on? If I have a good charge on my battery. And it falls to 1v when the button is pressed, that would be a bad connection at the switch?
Old 11-24-2016, 10:09 PM
MotoGP

Where are you testing this voltage? Across the terminals? You said you jumped across the solenoid highside and it spun the starter strongly?

Also did you try grounding the lowside (low voltage) on the solenoid? It sounds like the starter button may be shorting to ground and causing the volt drop but cant tell you how.

Until you answer these questions, you cant really know. Each one will get you closer to eliminating button, solenoid, starter or battery.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:28 PM
Squid

Where are you testing this voltage? Across the terminals? You said you jumped across the solenoid highside and it spun the starter strongly?

Also did you try grounding the lowside (low voltage) on the solenoid? It sounds like the starter button may be shorting to ground and causing the volt drop but cant tell you how.

Until you answer these questions, you cant really know. Each one will get you closer to eliminating button, solenoid, starter or battery.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:29 PM
Squid

before I answer those questions, can I ask you how to ground the lowside? like, which terminal am i grounding?
Old 11-25-2016, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

So on the solenoid, there are the big wires (highside) and small wires (lowside/low voltage).

I am trying to remember which one I bridged to ground with a button under my tail but I will look at my thread on here (or you could look) call no hot start issue and Erik (E Marquez) clued me in at the time so if he reads this he may just tell you.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:45 PM
MotoGP

Oh ok here is Eriks response

The starter relay has 4 terminals, two large, two small.
The two large are primary power in, then primary power out (full battery power and amperage capable, LARGE wires)
the two small terminals are ground and trigger...the trigger is a low amp source from the starter button..that triggers (closes) the starter relay ..
The problem is, on the relay, both the ground circuit and the 12v trigger circuit could have opens.

The ground side of the relay comes by way of the clutch safety switch.. if that switch or its wiring failed, the starter relay gets no ground..
The 12v trigger side of the relay comes by way of the starter button.
the relay trigger and ground terminals are enclosed in the relay housing and the plug.. you would need to remove the plug to access the terminals.
Or you can back pin them with a needle probe if you have that.
A neat tool for doing diagnosis on an issue like this is a power probe. as with the flip of a switch it can provide a ground path or 12v..makes testing relays, light circuits, switches ect very easy.
if this is all greek to you, I can take a pic or 10 and show you what i mean...
Old 11-26-2016, 06:56 AM
Squid

Joe, you're awesome. If I jump the ground it DOES try to crank. Apparently I was testing the wrong wire, at first. I'll look into a dedicated ground with a swutch ir button to buy time, like you said, but it still doesn't fire when I have ground jumped.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:32 AM
MotoGP

No I'm not awesome, Erik is awesome for helping me on that. But your next step is to find the bad ground in the circuit.

Again, in my journey it was the sidestand switch. Failed when it heated up. Also I needed a neutral switch. Both quick cheap and easy.

You may need the button. All are wearoutable parts that you will need to change anyway.

Vaya con Dios hermano.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

Oh and check or bypass the clutch switch. It is 2 blade connectors at the clutch lever. You can build a simple bridge to connect the 2 wires trying to go to the lever.

My guess is if you connect them to each other, the bike will start in the way it was intended but that's just a guess.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Squid

You're awesome for relaying the message. Lol
I'm just gonna replace everything. Like was said before, I have no problem putting new parts on an old bike. She could use 'em.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:48 AM
Squid

Oh and check or bypass the clutch switch. It is 2 blade connectors at the clutch lever. You can build a simple bridge to connect the 2 wires trying to go to the lever.

My guess is if you connect them to each other, the bike will start in the way it was intended but that's just a guess.
Of course. Jumping the clutch switch works. The bike kicks forward with it jumped (because I currently don't have a working clutch. New Master Cylinder is on the way).
Old 11-26-2016, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

Yeah that is my issue is that my clutch switch is still jumped so if I forget that, it will lurch me forward. Hopefully not into Brooklyn traffic.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:37 AM
Squid

To my surprise, my new Clutch pieces and neutral switch will be here about 3 days early. They're actually on the way to my mailbox RIGHT NOW. I don't think I've ever seen a package arrive early. I don't think I've ever seen a package arrive on time, as a matter of fact. Thumbs up to bike bandit for getting it done, and on the week of Thanksgiving.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:10 AM
MotoGP

Whats that saying? Don't count you chickens or they might become fried chickens?

Funny, I stopped using BB because they screwed me on so many deliveries, including parts shipped right to a racetrack.

I used ronayers for a while but their site got all messed up so now I use partszilla. Fastest delivery yet.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:21 AM
Squid

Whats that saying? Don't count you chickens or they might become fried chickens?

Funny, I stopped using BB because they screwed me on so many deliveries, including parts shipped right to a racetrack.

I used ronayers for a while but their site got all messed up so now I use partszilla. Fastest delivery yet.
I was thinking of trying partzilla next, but I haven't found a reason to... yet.
Also,is there any special steps to follow for replacing the neutral switch? Ir is it just-
1. Take old out
2. Put new in. ?
Old 11-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Squid

Of course, my new neutral switch didn't solve my problem. Only verified that my low fuel light IS in fact connected directly to neutral. Still unsure as to why or how.
New cup on the clutch master cylinder came in. I got it on and cleaned up the whole assembly. Of course, I had a friend help with bleeding the line, and wouldn't you know, when I thought I almost had it, the bleeder screw on my slave cylinder snapped off.
I decided to give it a rest for the day. Tomorrow I'll look and see if it can be tapped without messing anything else up. Any idea where to get a new bleeder screw? Or maybe a used slave cylinder?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:48 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
ebay or any automotive shop for a new bleed screw - or a secondhand slave unit from most Hondas from late 90s – early 00s with hydraulic clutches fit i.e Blackbird VFR etc.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Squid

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I haven't had much time off of work. Anyways, I finally have the clutch working. And my new starter switch is on the way.