49.02%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Lower or No Lower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
Lower or No Lower?

I've seen this bike w/the full fairing lower and without. Mine has it on. Thoughts?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
A "factory" lower fairing? No Superhawk ever had that option.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Squid

Chilly996 is on a distinguished road
Oops. It looked so good I thought is was. I love this bike.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I see. I like the no-lower look because it helps to differentiate it from the fully-clothed sportbikes and the naked streetfighters. Plus, with a lower on, it resembles an F3.

The Moriwaki lower is NICE though. I'd rock that one.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
My VTR is currently "lower-less" but that will soon change once I install my new Sharkskinz unit (got a good deal on eBay). My personal preference is for the Pyramid lower as I find it really looks sweet!

Mikstr
Old 06-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
mine doesn't even have the chin fairing.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:23 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I have never seen one with a lower that I thought looked good.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Squid

rhu5
Lower...

I like a lower and my lower of choice would be the Moriwaki.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:22 AM
Squid

lifeofadvntr is on a distinguished road
When I was racing a fully enclosed lower was required in the event of fluid loss, however, I think the Hawk looks MUCH better without the lower and and pretty tight in the "streetfighter" mode.

I used Sharkskinz body work and also "Hot Bodies Racing" thru LP Team Privateer.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Got any of that stuff left life? I too like it with out, but I'm searching for one becuase I'm going to start racing, right now I just do track days and don't need it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Squid

Super,

Sorry...I sold all 3 sets of bodywork before moving here to Texas. Not sure what sanctioning body you are going to race through but if your racing the Hawk it can be a royal pain in the @$$ to safety wire everything. My Yamaha was much easier to do than the Hawk. Also....some tips from my experience,
1) definitly do the voltage regulator mod because the factory one just won't hold up to the rigorous demands on the bike at the track 2) I ran "Water Wetter" for the coolant and found if your racing in a hot climate it seems to work better in the Hawk when the mixture is a little "richer" than recommended 3) The Hawk eats slicks up like no tomorrow especially in the warmer areas. I learned the hard way...if you think you will need 2 sets of tires for a race weekend...bring 3 at least (always PRE-mounted on rims).

Last but not least....

The Hawk will race fine with minor performance mods at the club or pro-am levels (I raced it in Formula USA & CCS "Supertwin" and "Middleweight Superbike") but, with riders being equal...it will be a struggle in the "Superbike" events as the Hawk will do better in the corners with it's narrow profile and high torque but the big In Line 4's will eat it alive in the long straights. Of course, this is my opinion based on my experiences and I am certainly not a factory rider. Your riding capabilities could yeild different results! Good Luck and Rubber Side Down!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:07 AM
MotoGP

Thanks for the tips, I'm planning on joining CCS. If you don't mind me asking, what was the problem you had with prep. I'm actually limited to the classes I can ride because I have a modified front end and wheel. I'm just starting out so I'll be in amature and know full well about the I4's but at the trackdays I've been front running in nov. and I'm doing my first intermediate sessions on the 24th & 25th so I'll see where I fit in there. I'm by no means a top rider but I think I could be a midpack guy on the Hawk and really just want to have fun, (I say that now but who knows what will happen to the competitive juices when the flag drops). Oh and if my house ever sells then a track only bike will be in the mix as well just not sure which one yet.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Squid

Super,

In CCS your modified Hawk will be fine in any Superbike or Supertwin event. If I recall correctly only the Sportbike series events require "factory" level bikes.

Have you done a track day with CCS? If not...you need to as it will get you familliar with their "tech procedures". I too started with "trackdayz" and there was a night and day difference from what needed to be done to pass a race "tech" and track day "tech". If your going to race your street hawk you will have to do ALOT of prep work to put it on the racetrack, and then back on the street. If I remember a complete set of race plastics for the Hawk with a race license was $580.00 or so (1 peice front fairing, lower, and tail) and you want to have at least a second set so you can repair after you wreck...which you will more often than you plan on. As far as the pain...the Hawk was never "designed" to have a lower fairing therefore many of the brackets are not a "fixture" of the bike. Although you get some rinky dink aluminum brackets when you order the lower they are not conducive to safety wiring and the little cheesy screws they send will not hold up for long. So, plan on drilling holes to "create" safety wire points. You needed safety wire on every point on the bike where fluids can enter or leave the bike (Oil filler, filter, radiator, etc), also all bodywork has to be safety wired to the bike. Plan on removing your side stand and the side stand "kill switch", and tying back all the wires (zip ties) that run to where your lights were (just taping them up like at track days wont fly) I am missing a bunch of other stuff, but, you will learn it all when you go to race school to get your license if you haven't already. Point is, unless you want you Hawk to BECOME a track bike, remember that if you plan on selling it later, it will be tough to say "it was never raced" when there all holes through most of the bolts on the bike. Thats why I strongly recommend a track bike which you can strip of the wires for lights, starter, horn, etc. as well as have permanent brackets fabbed for the plastics and stuff. Then all you have to worry about is the extras you bring for the race....3 sets of rims (2 in a pinch), spare sprockets, chains, levers, plastics, screens, pegs, bar ends, and of course....a whole lot of MOTRIN!!!! hahahahah....thats why I don't race anymore...I am too damn old!

Hope this helps ya!

WG
Old 06-13-2006, 12:01 PM
MotoGP

Helps a bunch thanks! Actually at the track I've been riding there's very little prep at all and tech is pretty much the honor system so all of this is new to me. I plan on getting my license in July and going from there. If by some miracle I can get this house all together and sold a track bike sounds a lot easier. I checked the rule book and I could race in 4 classes, superbike, supertwins, unlimited supebike and gto.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
The Moriwaki lower is NICE though. I'd rock that one.
Where've you seen a Moriwaki lower for the Hawk? I've looked everywhere.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

Like this one, have you tried wildhare?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
MotoGP

there's also this one that looks similar at Thurn Motosports for $195 U.S.D. +$45 for shipping, I just asked about it and they are in stock.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:38 AM
Squid

DavidH1172
I got mine (actually two. I burned a hole in the first one. My fault not theirs) from Magical Racing.

D. Hill
Old 06-14-2006, 06:16 PM
Squid

A Team
I like my pipe hanging in the breeze.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:27 AM
Squid

Monomaster
I've got the Mario Nava full fairing, & personally I think its the only type that doesn't look tacked on!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:13 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
Talking Lower Fairing

Over the years of knowing and loving my Superhawk( since 98 ) i have noticed that the bike looks so damn good "naked" that i could never think about putting on the "bubbly" lower. I, too, have removed the chin. I feel that the Superhawk was a strong message to those "overpriced" companies.

Now, however, with the years changing and the loss of TL1000R, Honda needs to step up and make a whole new superhawk with great lines, an even better engine, and hopefully a little better fuel economy.

Hopefully, we will see this bike come to America!
Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 AM
Back Marker

Gerrit is an unknown quantity at this point
I voted for the lower

Old 06-28-2006, 10:53 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I just sent my new Sharkskinz lower to be painted after finally settling on a two-colour scheme that I hope will look good. I am getting the upper portion colour matched to the rest of the fairing and having a black section painted onto the bottom (to match the fork brace, tank bra and undertail; see pic in gallery). I am looking forward to getting it back and installing it. Will post pics when she's all ready

cheers
Mikstr