General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Keeping my battery in good condition over winter

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 08:42 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
Keeping my battery in good condition over winter

Next pay I plan on getting a battery charger with the floater charge so I don't overcharge it. However, for the mean time, I have one that can charge from .2amps to 3amps. I know this is a very low charge, but I'm not hip about motorcycle batterys. It's a sealed unit so I can't check/add water to it. Would it be safe to leave it on .2amps for a week, then a week off and so forth? The dealer I bought the bike off said it was new (And it looks like it) so I don't want to ruin a decent battery when spring time rolls around. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I don't think the battery will go completely dead before you buy a battery charger. It should be fine if you just leave it as is. I'm assuming payday is Thursday?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:48 PM
Back Marker

February 9th, unfortunately! Then after that, the next thing is the 520 chain conversion with 15/43 gearing and new back tire!
Old 01-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
As long as the battery is out of the bike/disconnected, it won't discharge as fast. You should be fine til the 9th. I've had my bike sit for two weeks with the battery unplugged, and it was just fine when I hooked it back up and fired her up.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:24 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Well it also depends on temperature as West Virginia gets a whole lot colder than LA.

I have a 2 or 10amp Sears charger that's over 15 years old. I use the 2 amp setting for about 5-6 hrs. It does have a float feature so I typically start it before bedtime and turn it off in the a.m. I use it mostly on my lawn tractor as we can ride year around here but it works fine on motorcycle batteries too.

Otto,

You can get a cheaper "knockoff" battery tender at Walmart now.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:49 AM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Otto Man
February 9th, unfortunately! Then after that, the next thing is the 520 chain conversion with 15/43 gearing and new back tire!
Have fun with that conversion...Im running the same, but 15/44, and it's fun as hell
Old 01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
I have both the battery tender and a new Black & Decker I got at Wall Mart. The Black & Decker is much more flexible. It will do 15, 10, 2 amps. About the same money maybe a little more. Nice little charger.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by SuperHawkins
Have fun with that conversion...Im running the same, but 15/44, and it's fun as hell
One reason I love the shawk is for the wild accerlation...I can't WAIT to see/feel what the new gearing will be like. 8)

I know cold temps aren't the best for batterys, so I got the battery sitting in my living room for the mean time. Until payday rolls around, I'm just gonna look around and see what can be the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Back Marker

SuperHawkins is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Otto Man
One reason I love the shawk is for the wild accerlation...I can't WAIT to see/feel what the new gearing will be like. 8)

I know cold temps aren't the best for batterys, so I got the battery sitting in my living room for the mean time. Until payday rolls around, I'm just gonna look around and see what can be the best bang for the buck.
Power-on wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear...or at the least, some bar-shakes as the tire dances on and off the ground at the top of 2nd Don't get on it hard in 1st gear, you'll be spinning the back tire or.....'please excuse me while I kiss the sky'
Old 02-02-2007, 12:57 PM
Squid

whipit
just ride it. west virginia isn't so bad