General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

It's Official

Old 03-01-2007, 09:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
It's Official

The insurance assylum called this afternoon and they have declared my bike a total loss. Now this doen't mean that I'm rolling out the buffet cart yet but now there are some serious questions to answer.

What components of the front end would you NOT use again in a build considering the impact. The rotors, calipers - even the wheel looked all ok as the Isuzu Trooper sits sorta higher. The main impact was to the forks just below the lower triple and in the area of the neck of the frame. The front fender was split like a banana right down the middle so I think it actually went under the truck on impact and got squished. The forks hit the bottom of the driver's door (I hope this Mf has nightmares of that bike coming at him for months) and the triples and the neck were up in the soft-spot (try that at 45mph) of the door. To be safe I guess I will be investing in a dial indicator for the rotors and the wheel or maybe they can spin it for me at the shop and tell me.

I cannot imagine that the frame is not bent at the neck. The guys at the shop say then can tell by the color that stretched aluminum turns when said pressures are applied. Any truth to this? Sounded reasonable to me when it was said but I had never heard this. I guess if it's totaled they will not want to disassemble it so I will have to. If there's a fight over the settlement amount then they will have to tear it down and I will have to pay them to do it. Getting that done this time of the year is going to be tough regardless of who brings the cash.

Speaking of cash, I have no idea of what the number is because legal-beagle was out of his cage today and they won't tell me because I don't think they were interested in a drive-by this afternoon.

Assuming that they are glad that I'm alive and they're really not that infatuated with the millions they just lost in court over their handling of Katrina and Rita and they really do make the money fair: Do I look for a late model and move my parts across or buy a new frame to know I'm not just importing new problems?

Because all the designations are on the frame are there going to be title problems with a new frame? I'm going to try to work with them so the title never changes hands. I don't know if this can even be done but that's the approach that I want to take.

I don't want to take two bikes apart and only assemble one - especially if I end the day not overly confident in either. I can send the one that's "a little tweaked" to the track (and after this spaz attack there will be trackdays) but the one that goes to the street I want to be straight as an arrow.

Rip & Tear, gentlemen! I got a feeling we're in for a very long year!

Upcoming Events:

Mario Nava Fairings or not?

RC51 or 900 series Front end?

While I got the damn thing all apart do I finally go for the two-color scheme and forget the gold and polished/brushed aluminum?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
Swapping everything to a new frame, would be a royal pain, but you'd sure learn a lot about your bike (and it really wouldn't be that bad). I wonder if your wrist would be up to the task. That's a lot of wrenching. If I were in your position and had another bike that was fun to ride, then I'd go that route. Otherwise, you might as well go the late model road, and get yourself back riding asap. Well, that's my opinion.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 PM
MotoGP

I sat on the VFR this afternoon and my throttle control is just not back yet. She's my little trick pony and while this was not the plan I can stay in the groove while the SH sorts itself out a bit. I think you're right - especially at my age that I not stay off the road too long. **** it's only been eight days and it's killing me!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Doug,

Though I doubt that the frame is bent, if you end up buying her back from the ins. co. then I think you'll be stuck with a salvage title. If you're going to keep the bike forever then no problem. But if you ever want to sell it then it's going to f*&k you in the long run. The other thing to consider is this - Are they going to let you get your new/upgraded parts off the old bike or not? That right there is a major decision maker. And if they let you buy the bike back will what's left over be enough to buy another 'Hawk, if necessary?

If the forks bent then I don't think the frame is bent. I think of it as a crumple zone for motorcylcles, especially the 'Hawk, with her somewhat flimsy forks and triples. Problem is, you'll never know unless you get straight forks on it and send it to GMD. You can't send them just a frame. They have reference points on the axles and wheels and such so they need at least a rolling frame.

Yeah, the ultimate would be to spend some time and get the new parts off and the stock back on, buy a newer model, and transfer the parts again. PITA? Yes. Worth the time? Depends on how valuable your time is. You'll save a little cash too in the long run. Like I said, this all depends on if you can get the parts back though.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:34 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
nuhawk....

Noticed a couple frames on EBAY recently during my weekly scan incase your interested... I think one was salvage though.

J.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:16 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
It cost me $1200 to buy my bike back and it was broken in half!
I told the adjuster "You know that bike will only fetch $500 at auction, but the owner has to pay $1200? So the owner gets screwed." I was not in a very good mood at that time. I think I broke about even, getting a little bit of money for a lot of really expensive parts. It was therapeutic for me, though. You should have seen me singlehandedly (literally) rigging a comealong in the rafters and lifting the pallet with my bike on it out of my truck, then rerigging to drag it across the floor and lift it up to put on the rear stand with the front end busted off. Not sure how I did it. I was just determined. Then I had to go lay down and rest the broken bones.

Check the frame head carefully. It's not all that strong. Strong enough for a motorcycle frame, but not designed for survival in a frontal impact.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:10 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Check the frame head carefully. It's not all that strong. Strong enough for a motorcycle frame, but not designed for survival in a frontal impact.
That's kinda what I was thinking Rand! The SH is already known for it's squishy front end and I have read that some point to the "flexible Honda frame" as the lead culprit. I just don't trust it's reliability after a crash like mine and shipping a rolling frame cross country can't be cheap. That's why I was thinking that a new frame would be the best way out. I sent an inquiry to Ronnie's to make sure the frames were available (there are two part numbers - one is -000 the other is -680) but I haven't heard back from them. BTW I got something in the mail today.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:46 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Just curious. How old are you nuhawk?
It's not just the Super Hawk that doesn't withstand crashes well. My local shop works on all kinds of bikes and they say that they all bend in even minor crashes these days.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
SuperBike

Mine broke right at the welds, where the thin-walled frame rails join the heavy head casting. There was no bending, just a brittle fracture.

My case was severe, but beware of cracking in that area.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:02 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
By the way, I have an entire front end (forks, brakes, clip-ons, wheel, fender) if you're interested. I thought I had a sale with a guy here on the forum, but he never came through.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:12 PM
MotoGP

Thanks, Killer! If I rebuild the Superhawk I doubt it will be with a Superhawk front end. I will probably go with a 900 series front end or an RC51. I am searching for a new frame right now. When I mean new - I mean in the box new from Honda. If that's not possible then I will be looking for a later model. One that's close enough for me to inspect to make sure it hasn't been crashed and then I'll build up like I did this one. My age is in my profile but to save you the trouble, I am 56. Most, including my doctor say I don't look my age and my conditioning helps. I lead an active lifestyle and I try to eat right. That all said, you're right, the older you get the crashes hurt worse.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:51 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nuhawk
That all said, you're right, the older you get the crashes hurt worse.
I'm not sure if they hurt worse or just longer than they used to!
Old 03-03-2007, 03:47 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
I'm not sure if they hurt worse or just longer than they used to!
Now that I think about it you're right. I think that you're better at crashing if you do it more than once. Some guys never get past the first one. Your wreck at the track would have been much different if the bike hadn't gotten caught up in the grass and slammed your feet. That's the track's fault not you knowing how to slide. In mine, from the instant that I knew is was going to crash - I plotted how to crash best. I aimed for the softest spot I could hit and hit it as square as I could steer it. I have learned to better manage my body when it gets hurt than when I was younger. But even at my age it's hard not to hit the weights too early after you think you've rested enough. I'm already thinking about beginning the rehab on my wrist but I'm not sure the all the connective tissue is up to it. I want it to tighten up but not stiffen up. Maybe as it warms up some I won't be such a ***** about ice bags. I cannot stand ice packs in the winter.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 PM
SuperBike

When I crashed, I was riding along.
Then I woke up and saw my friend SA sitting above my head with his thumb on my forehead.

I thought, "I must have crashed, I knew we were going too fast. Ok, I'm going to lay still and let people take care of me." I guess they already had my leathers cut off. I think I was out for about 20 minutes. I remember as I faded into a morphine fog that the helicopter sure did get here fast, but it had flown down from Oregon. Wierd time warp.

No warning whatsoever.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Woooooooooh, Doug what the hellhappened??? It was just a few days ago,,,,, we talked about riding when I got back?? You ok? Was the boy riding with you?...Some one link the story (there better damn well be a story posted) You think you can get out of riding with me this easy your nuts...I do not give up nearly that easy..... (ok,I'm assuming your ok,,,,,,how's the bike?)
Old 03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
OK I just re=read this thread, and I guess I have some idea what happened. So here’s the deal.. you have the VFR,, so you still meeting the wife and I for a ride and breakfast,, Stop your whining about this hurts or that part aint working so well,, I really do not want to hear it (LOL) Next,,, it's only a few hours to strip the hawk. I'll be home in a week or two,,,, The wife is going to be working a few days while I'm home, and the boy is in school for the last part of my leave. I grab the truck, come get the bike,, I can have it back to you in pieces ready to put back on a frame or ready to part out your choice that same day. Bonus points if you want to come over and help. (Better choice if you’re going to build a new bike/frame)

For whats it's worth. I would not ride track or street on a SH that has taken a hit likie yours. WIth out first replacing the frame(and other ovbious bent parts) or had the frame inspected by a shop certified to do Aluminum structural inspection. But hey thats just me, others will say thats overkill. In my line of work, overkill is acceptable.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:15 PM
Livin it up!
Squid

BMiller is on a distinguished road
Glad you are still with us first off, secondly, I buy a lot of insurance auction bikes. They will most likely issue you a Salvage Certificate. In TN that meant I had to fill out the proper forms and send it in to Nashville where after a 3 month turn around I'd get a rebuilt title. Here in SC, I take it right to the DMV and get an instant SALVAGE TITLE, only thing that sucks about it is resale (cus everyone is sooooooo scared of that word ) If you have any more questions about it feel free to PM me.
Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken
OK I just re=read this thread, and I guess I have some idea what happened. So here’s the deal.. you have the VFR,, so you still meeting the wife and I for a ride and breakfast,, Stop your whining about this hurts or that part aint working so well,, I really do not want to hear it (LOL) Next,,, it's only a few hours to strip the hawk. I'll be home in a week or two,,,, The wife is going to be working a few days while I'm home, and the boy is in school for the last part of my leave. I grab the truck, come get the bike,, I can have it back to you in pieces ready to put back on a frame or ready to part out your choice that same day. Bonus points if you want to come over and help. (Better choice if you’re going to build a new bike/frame)

For whats it's worth. I would not ride track or street on a SH that has taken a hit likie yours. WIth out first replacing the frame(and other ovbious bent parts) or had the frame inspected by a shop certified to do Aluminum structural inspection. But hey thats just me, others will say thats overkill. In my line of work, overkill is acceptable.
This all sounds great to me but know this . . . we are riding! The bike is still at the dealership and I should have some stuff ironed out with the insurance by the time you get back. Have you got your forks back yet for your Superhawk? We need to make some time for some dirt too! The VFR is a blast and that's what I'm going to be riding - sorry it won't be the 'Hawk but that's the way the cards are dealt this time around. I'm working on a new frame for the Superhawk - I'll know more about all this as time goes on. We can wrench on it while you're home but I would like to spend as much time as I can riding. And really it's no big if the Superhawk has to take a rest. Just be ready for the Ozarks & Deal's Gap spring of 2008! We both got some big events to finish up before then but if we take care of business in 07 we can have a great party in 08. Some of the guys have talked about a weekend for Superhawks this spring someplace out here in the Hill Country but we haven't done anything with it. Maybe that will gel in the near future.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:00 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
It's hard for me to comment on this due to the different laws in your country, and insurance values and cost of parts etc etc. So I won't.

But in regards to stripping the bike to replace the frame, I dont consider it that bad a job to be honest. This is not said without thought either, as I have done a complete strip down myself. If this is what you want to do, then I would not be put off by the job. I have also considered you are handy with the spanners too of course.

I have sent you a pm too.