General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

If you were looking to add another bike to the stable for a track bike...

Old 08-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
If you were looking to add another bike to the stable for a track bike...

What would you pick, and why? Hopefully in the winter/spring I can pick up another bike to add to the stable. I would like to get a dedicated track bike, so if anything were to happen on the track, I could still have another bike to ride around on. I just don't know what bikes to be looking for? My plastic is kinda fubar on the 'hawk also. Would I look for another street bike, and get race plastic for the hawk? Should I look at getting a newer (03 or newer) 600 or the like for the track, and just fix up the hawk? Or should I just save my money, and buy a bike that fits the budget, and decide then? I got plenty of time as I won't be doing any track days in '07, but I just like to get half of a plan started, so I don't waste my hard earned $ on a mistake.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:22 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm going to get a dedicated track ho soon too, well as soon as I can afford it anyway. It depends on your plans for the bike, are you going to race it or just do track days? If it's just a track day bike I would go for either a 600 or the GSXR 750 or if you can find one cheap enough the Triumph 675. The SH has been a great track day bike but it is a bit on the heavy side which is why I'm leaning toward something else for the track and if I had my choice I'd go with the 750 or 675 but if I race I might go 600 just for the extra classes. Although they say the 600 class is a beat 'em up, drag out class soooo. sorry I think I just confused you more.

Last edited by superhawk22; 08-27-2007 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:57 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If I ever got another track day only bike it would be a GSXR 750..... not to hot..... not to cold but just right....
Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superhawk22
I'm going to get a dedicated track ho soon too, well as soon as I can afford it anyway. It depends on your plans for the bike, are you going to race it or just do track days? If it's just a track day bike I would go for either a 600 or the GSXR 750 or if you can find one cheap enough the Triumph 675. The SH has been a great track day bike but it is a bit on the heavy side which is why I'm leaning toward something else for the track and if I had my choice I'd go with the 750 or 675 but if I race I might go 600 just for the extra classes. Although they say the 600 class is a beat 'em up, drag out class soooo. sorry I think I just confused you more.

Whadda mean by beat em up, drag out class? I'm all new to this track stuff. lol

I know the 'Hawks aren't the best stock track bikes, but you can pick up some really, really clean hawks at prices way below a more common bike - gixxer, R6's, R1's, ZX's, etc. Alittle suspension work, and new front brake setups, and that's about it for the big stuff, isn't it? I don't see myself getting good enough to justify dumping $$ into little things that won't help a rookie like me out as much.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:56 PM
MotoGP

It's the class with the most competition and the most aggresive riders, meaning there's some paint swapping going on out there.

I've done the front end swap including brake upgrade and aftermarket rear shock which made a HUGE difference in handling, making it much quicker steering but it's still a heavy bike. Don't get me wrong it's still a really fun track day bike and a blast to pass bikes out there in the corners that you have no right even hanging with but it's a lot easier to go fast on a lighter bike. Like I said it all depends on what your goals are if it's racing then I don't know if I'd go with the SH. If you go with a front end swap keep in mind that it'll limit the classes you can race in, you'll have to run in a modified class which means you'll be going againts bikes with much more power. If it's just to have fun with than that is toatoally with in reach on a SH and they are easier to control in the corners than an I4.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Back Marker

It's the class with the most competition and the most aggresive riders, meaning there's some paint swapping going on out there.

I've done the front end swap including brake upgrade and aftermarket rear shock which made a HUGE difference in handling, making it much quicker steering but it's still a heavy bike. Don't get me wrong it's still a really fun track day bike and a blast to pass bikes out there in the corners that you have no right even hanging with but it's a lot easier to go fast on a lighter bike. Like I said it all depends on what your goals are if it's racing then I don't know if I'd go with the SH. If you go with a front end swap keep in mind that it'll limit the classes you can race in, you'll have to run in a modified class which means you'll be going againts bikes with much more power. If it's just to have fun with than that is toatoally with in reach on a SH and they are easier to control in the corners than an I4.
Just looking for something to have some fun with. I fully plan on going into the military in the next few months, so my time to be a real actual ameture racer will be quite limited.

Swapping paint on bikes sounds like fun, though!
Old 08-27-2007, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

Swapping paint can be fun.......or really painfull as well!
Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
For worst case scenario in paint-swapping...

Watch the footage of the MotoGP race this year at Laguna Seca. The defending champ, Nicky Hayden, and John Hopkins had a meeting of fairings in the first turn of the first lap. Oops. Hopper was out immediatly and Nicky's bike eventually succumbed to its damage just a few laps from the end of the race. DAMN! Or there can be only paint swapped. At least there's no cages in the way!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:32 AM
Back Marker

kevink2 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Otto Man
Just looking for something to have some fun with. I fully plan on going into the military in the next few months, so my time to be a real actual ameture racer will be quite limited.

Swapping paint on bikes sounds like fun, though!
Just use your trusty old Superhawk Otto! Rather than getting acquainted with a totally new bike combined with a totally new riding environment, I would suggest just trying the track out with your current bike. It'll give you a chance to figure out if track days are for you, without laying down much cash on a different bike. Besides you already rashed your plastics, so it sounds like the perfect candidate. If you decide you like track days (can't imagine you won't like it!) then get a dedicated track bike after you've got a better idea of what you may want. I think your SH will be okay until you really start pushing it, as long as it's mechanically sound with good tires, etc.

BTW If you decide to enlist- bless you man, and thanks for what you will be doing for our country!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
agree with whats been said. The SH is fine for trackdays but if you really get into it, there is no modifying away the weight differences and more important the riding position. the new RR bikes have such different rider positioning over the front wheel its a very different experience on a track, and more comfortable/confident going towards the limit which can make it a more fun proposition. The SH is really best at sport riding on the street in my opinion. But again, you can take any bike to the track - race plastic is cheaper than a track bike and you can see for yourself if the bike is a limiting factor for you. Go with some buddies and try another bike or two for a couple laps some time.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
For a track-only bike I'd check the WERA forum for a round-tube SV-650 that someone has already gone through the suspension. I've seen them go for a couple thousand for ugly bikes that have all the right parts.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:08 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I was actually gonna suggest the same. and there are no shortage of them around. even starting used and then converting to GSXR suspension is fairly commonly done - great bike to work on riding skills minus the excessive power. I am embarassed by the number of time I have been passed by amateur racers on SV650 at a local small track - it is certainly not the bike that is limiting me at least.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
I guess it really depends on what you wanna do at the track. If you are just taking "open" track days and not racing...then just about any bike that suits your fancy would work fine.

If your considering racing...which class do you want to race in? That dictates your choice in bike.

Personally, if you're just going to be flogging around for fun, and not a carrer, I would reccomend something similar to what you ride now. If you're a 600 I4 guy...pick up any 600cc I4 and learn to be good on it. The skils you learn/honel will directly transfer to your street ride. If you're riding a 1000CC v-twin, I'd reccomend you pick up a similar bike (VTR, SV, TLR/S Ducati/Aprila) so again, the riding style/skills would transfer over.

Sure the basic skills of speed/technique transfer from any/all bikes, but it is different to go fast on a 600, than it is on an 1000CC V-twin. I say stick with what you've got/go similar.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
well I guess I'll chime in on this as someone who is actively racing my hawk. two things you will want to consider are this.

you can run this bike with everything out their now. as an ametur it's going to be your riding skill that dictates where you place not so much the bike.

v-twin classes in my experance are a little bit safer the the 600 supersmash classes. that guy on is 30grand duc is not going to try a bonehead pass and t-bone you.

also something for all of us to look at. depending on your racing orgs class stucture next year were going to have a kick *** clasics bike and you can run you 2005 since there were no changes to the model other then the insermant cluster.

there are so many things to pay for if your thinking about going racing save up that money and run what ya brung.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
At present we own a VTR and a VFR. We sold the kid's CBRf4 mid-summer mostly because he was bored with it. If I bought another bike it would be another Interceptor for the street and the VFR would be retired to a track-day bike. At least for me - not a race bike.
We've done all the mods to the suspension so it should adapt well. I remind myself that these tracks are not the Autobahn. They are short even by Nascar standards and it's been widely written that they can be run in one gear on a Superhawk.

So why the hell not? The Superhawk doesn't feel heavy to me because I'm familiar with the VFR. 'Bling accurately describes the VFR as an anvil - it is! The CBR felt light to me to the point of not planted. Again, think short track - it's got a shitload of horses at the twist of the wrist - no dashing through three gears to get there - just turn it up.

If you're a noob at the track day stuff like me, they say smooth is the best. The speed will come and when you're smooth, and fast, and can shift a lot in short distances - buy a Gixxer - every other year.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:58 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gssbmm
well I guess I'll chime in on this as someone who is actively racing my hawk. two things you will want to consider are this.

you can run this bike with everything out their now. as an ametur it's going to be your riding skill that dictates where you place not so much the bike.

v-twin classes in my experance are a little bit safer the the 600 supersmash classes. that guy on is 30grand duc is not going to try a bonehead pass and t-bone you.

also something for all of us to look at. depending on your racing orgs class stucture next year were going to have a kick *** clasics bike and you can run you 2005 since there were no changes to the model other then the insermant cluster.

there are so many things to pay for if your thinking about going racing save up that money and run what ya brung.
Great advice ! I think the Hawk with a skilled rider can hold its own in most situations . The only place the Hawk is at a disadvantage is on long straightaways , thats the only place I was getting passed at RA and that was only a few times throughout the day by the big bore I-4s every where else the bike really shined .Besides its kinda cool when someone riding a Ducati comes up to you after a session and says Damn I didnt know Superhawks could go that fast ! Your advice is reinforcing what I was already thinking ...converting the Hawk to track day only .
Old 08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by hrcvf1000r
Great advice ! I think the Hawk with a skilled rider can hold its own in most situations . The only place the Hawk is at a disadvantage is on long straightaways , thats the only place I was getting passed at RA and that was only a few times throughout the day by the big bore I-4s every where else the bike really shined .Besides its kinda cool when someone riding a Ducati comes up to you after a session and says Damn I didnt know Superhawks could go that fast ! Your advice is reinforcing what I was already thinking ...converting the Hawk to track day only .
If you do convert do some suspension mods you'd be amazed at how much easier it is to go fast with better suspension and brakes. It's not bad in stock form but after a front end and shock it's night and day.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I would buy a ninja bike, 250cc...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:29 AM
Squid

If you're a noob at the track day stuff like me, they say smooth is the best. The speed will come and when you're smooth, and fast, and can shift a lot in short distances - buy a Gixxer - every other year. [/QUOTE]

Yep, smooth is WAY more important than fast. Smooth learns fast much easier than fast learns smooth. (And crashes less, for those interested in riding the bike to work the next day. Or avoiding potential hospital bills.)
Old 08-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Squid

silver98hawk is on a distinguished road
does anyone know of any tracks near south central PA? Also, do most places require full leathers just for track days, or is that more of a race only thing?
Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
BeaveRun
Pocono
Yes, and no.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:38 PM
Superstock

If you do convert do some suspension mods you'd be amazed at how much easier it is to go fast with better suspension and brakes. It's not bad in stock form but after a front end and shock it's night and day.
Your right ! I need to make suspension a priority. I just trying to figure out how to come up with the funds . I just need to sale this first http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1007720/ I hate to sale it , But I really dont ride it anymore and I could do some great things to the Hawk . When I get ready & have the money I am going to hit you up when I start the track conversion .

Last edited by HRCVTR1000; 08-29-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:07 PM
MotoGP

One of my best friends had one of those, nice bike! Whenever you're ready I'd be more than happy to help you out anyway I can.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Squid

Nice Viffer1000, dude. Literally twice the bike I bought in '85. Always wished they'd put a full fairing on the Miniceptor. Oh, well. Might have put it over 400# w/o fuel.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Back Marker

cscrawford is on a distinguished road
I did my first track day a few weeks back and it was an absolute blast, but I can see why having a dedicated track bike is the way to go, just for not having to tape/take apart/put back together everything, if nothing else. For track day only or racing I'd REALLY enjoy an I-4 600, but would probably go with SV650 becuase it is....
-Way cheaper
-Fair compromise on not too little, definitely not too much in the engine department
-v-twin...skills should transfer well to the hawk
-squids and boy racers be's won't be riding SV's
-also read that as one of the safer ways to go
-I hear they are a blast
-Lots and lots of them around
-relatively simple and little plastic etc.
-You'll have to learn to be smooth (fast) because you'll be slower in the straights!

I'm going go even cheaper and safer (relatively speaking) and start racing YSR's next Spring. Did one a month ago and it was a hoot!

Last edited by cscrawford; 09-01-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by futurehawk
Nice Viffer1000, dude. Literally twice the bike I bought in '85. Always wished they'd put a full fairing on the Miniceptor. Oh, well. Might have put it over 400# w/o fuel.
Yeah they were a little on the heavy side . I think mines well over 550lbs with gas in it ! I call it the HONDAPOTAMUS . Whats so bad is this thing outweighs the 6 cylinder Honda CBX. And truthfully the CBX carries its weight better .
Old 09-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
Originally Posted by cscrawford
I did my first track day a few weeks back and it was an absolute blast, but I can see why having a dedicated track bike is the way to go, just for not having to tape/take apart/put back together everything, if nothing else. For track day only or racing I'd REALLY enjoy an I-4 600, but would probably go with SV650 becuase it is....
-Way cheaper
-Fair compromise on not too little, definitely not too much in the engine department
-v-twin...skills should transfer well to the hawk
-squids and boy racers be's won't be riding SV's
-also read that as one of the safer ways to go
-I hear they are a blast
-Lots and lots of them around
-relatively simple and little plastic etc.
-You'll have to learn to be smooth (fast) because you'll be slower in the straights!

I'm going go even cheaper and safer (relatively speaking) and start racing YSR's next Spring. Did one a month ago and it was a hoot!
+1 sv's are some of the best bikes for the tracks here in tx. now if I can just lose about 100lb I can fit on one :-)
Old 09-01-2007, 06:29 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road