General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Goof ups

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Nose Picker
Back Marker

996SSVTR is on a distinguished road
Goof ups

Just thought it would be fun to talk about the dumb no brainer things we have done.

So last night I was taking apart my bike to clean the carbs and after I had finnished, I put it back together. I figured I'd start it and see if it runs any better....nope forgot to reconect the throtle cables and turn on the fuel...sure felt dumb.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
i totally rebuilt my srx-6 motor, but now i cant find the key.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:52 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Once i took my dash apart, fixed the HVAC, put the dash back together, then realised i had three screws and a plastic bracket left
Old 11-13-2008, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
50% of the time I put the air box back on, I'll tighten down the last screw then see the 2 trumpets sitting on the work bench.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:00 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
50% of the time I put the air box back on, I'll tighten down the last screw then see the 2 trumpets sitting on the work bench.
Done that a time or two.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 AM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Me and that damn fuel pump. The number of times I have been working on my bike...put everything back together...started down my road...and then bup bup bup...die.
Then I gotta walk back up my hill...grab my tools and walk back down and fix it on the side of the road.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:07 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
We all have off days...
Old 11-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Squid

Rocky-Top-Rider is on a distinguished road
i caught a tree with my door backing up in my work truck today. took me 15 mins. of beating an banging to get it to open then it wouldn't close. the memo writing has begun in ernest.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
My father, who DEMANDED that his children try for perfection in all things attempted, was rebuilding the front end of his R 75/5 when I stopped for a visit some time ago. Thanking my mother for coffee, I settled in to watch the expert install the fork seals and such as he put his bike back together.

Through two cups of coffee, I never mentioned the rubber gaiters sitting in the parts box as he very carefully reassembled the entire front end of his BMW. As he tightened the last clamp bolts and adjusted the cables, I gave the empty cup to my mother and kissed her goodbye. Then I asked my my father if he had any intentions on the gaiters remaining in the box.

DOH! Head slapper. I laughed all the way home.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Once I changed the oil and filter in my truck but didn't check the used filter to make sure it still had the gasket. Two gaskets do NOT make a better seal.

Started it up and backed it out of the garage....then heard the oil pump whine and saw the pressure gauge bouncing. 4 quarts in the driveway.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Changed the oil on my car, closed up the hood and took it for a run. Undercoated the engine compartment and the windshield with fresh 10W30. Wipers do not work better when lubed. Cap was right where I left it on the battery box.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
I tend to run outta gas alot.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Back Marker

fuzzuki is on a distinguished road
SRX 6!

Nice bike.

Originally Posted by Truckinduc
i totally rebuilt my srx-6 motor, but now i cant find the key.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Unhappy doh

Back from deployment, went to start my RC-51. Would not start. I thought I had connected everything. There I was, gas tank removed tearing into the throttle bodies, looked closer found I did not connect the ground side of Powercommander.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I've also forgotten to re install the oil cap when doing an oil change a couple times.... makes for a nice mess on the side of the bike.

Last edited by inderocker; 11-17-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Squid

malott442 is on a distinguished road
When I sold my KLX400sr, five people came by and looked at it. Five people sat on it. None of them turned the kill switch on b/f hitting the starter. Five of them asked me what was wrong. Five times, without a word, but with a big smile, reached over and flicked the switch down. I was replacing the top end of a 350 chevy for the first time with no experience, no tech manual, in the dark. I got all but one bolt out, and spent 3 days hoisting, prying, hammering, till on the third night a buddy came over and asked right away, did you get all the bolts? I was like "YEAH!" He walked over and found it for me, hidden in a small oil puddle by the firewall.... DOH! BTW, I was 18...
Old 11-15-2008, 11:24 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I've had countless customers come in complaining that a bike would not start... ends up being a kill switch in the off position.
Well... If there is anybody around here hasn't tried that one time or another I'd be really, REALLY surprised...

The hawk have a real nice way of letting the world know of your mistake aswell, since it tends to dump the contents of the by then slightly primed carbs in the pipes with the obvious resulting flames...
Old 11-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Rocky-Top-Rider
i caught a tree with my door backing up in my work truck today. took me 15 mins. of beating an banging to get it to open then it wouldn't close. the memo writing has begun in ernest.
Hahaha, BTDT a couple times. New rule- My truck doesn't move untill all the doors are shut. Hope your not in too much trouble over it!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
I've had countless customers come in complaining that a bike would not start... ends up being a kill switch in the off position.

I stiill do this every once in a while. It can be embarasing if people are around waiting to hear the rumble of the 'Hawk!

but then the big KABOOM makes up for it. LOLOL
Old 11-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Back Marker

nfbzike
Originally Posted by bowhawk
Changed the oil on my car, closed up the hood and took it for a run. Undercoated the engine compartment and the windshield with fresh 10W30. Wipers do not work better when lubed. Cap was right where I left it on the battery box.

Ive changed oil probably like 1000+ times now, and i came up with a way to almost never ( almost , hasnt happened yet but could) never forget the oil cap off again. every car i change the oil on i take the cap and put it right on the hood latch, Or leaning up against it. Anywhere near the latch that might prohibit you from closing the hood easily or properly. I cant tell you how bad it would look if i forgot a customers oil cap off. It was worth $10 bucks for the one cap i crushed.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
When swapping my r/r I forgot to disconnect the battery. Was almost done when I touched the pos. and neg. connectors together. No biggie...just the 30amp main fuse. Kind of made me jump, though!
Old 11-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nfbzike
Ive changed oil probably like 1000+ times now, and i came up with a way to almost never ( almost , hasnt happened yet but could) never forget the oil cap off again. every car i change the oil on i take the cap and put it right on the hood latch, Or leaning up against it. Anywhere near the latch that might prohibit you from closing the hood easily or properly. I cant tell you how bad it would look if i forgot a customers oil cap off. It was worth $10 bucks for the one cap i crushed.
Uh-huh... I had a habit of leaving them where I could see them also.. Til I was changing the oil in my Grandma's '85 Honda accord.. I left the oil cap on top of the valve cover, right beside the place it would go in.. Well.. Let's just say after "trying" to shut the hood with a great deal of force to no avail.. Multiple times.. I saw the resulting dimple in the hood.. only to realize Honda engineers dont leave enough room under the hood over the top of the engine to clear an oil cap.. if it's not installed..

Last edited by Cleveland; 11-17-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:37 PM
Back Marker

bundleofgrundle is on a distinguished road
changed my oil on the Shawk a few weeks ago. I got the new filter on and fresh oil in the bike so i started it up to check for leaks. when i walked around the other side of the bike i realized that i hadnt put the oil filler cap back on and the right side looked like a jackson pollock painting. needless to say i felt like a giant bonehead and employed a good deal of citrus degreaser to get the spattered oil off. d'oh
Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
I replaced a relay in my clothes drier heater circuit. Unplugged the 220V and changed it out. Closed everything up and plugged it in. Worked great. Lifted the top back up to ensure all the mounts were screwed in properly. The top slipped and contacted live 220V and welded itself open. The relay blew. I took it back to the appliance shop and told the guy the truth. He laughed his *** off and gave me a relay for free. Never mess with 220V.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:11 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I did that after checking the oil in one of my bikes... didn't notice it right away either and of couse after it started gave things a good oil bath.

Originally Posted by bundleofgrundle
changed my oil on the Shawk a few weeks ago. I got the new filter on and fresh oil in the bike so i started it up to check for leaks. when i walked around the other side of the bike i realized that i hadnt put the oil filler cap back on and the right side looked like a jackson pollock painting. needless to say i felt like a giant bonehead and employed a good deal of citrus degreaser to get the spattered oil off. d'oh
Old 11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Back in '94 I owned a CBR1000F - great bike if not a bit on the porky side. All I had was the bike, and since I lived on the ship I rented a small storage unit to keep the bike in while at sea. The day before a 6-month deployment I changed the oil in the storage unit and proceeded to run errands and say goodbyes to friends. Cruising down Hwy 64 towards Va Beach I notice what looks like a cloud or something behind me in the mirror. It was windy that day and I thought maybe it was just sand blowing off the side of the highway. As I come to my exit, I pull in the clutch and the oil light immediately comes on. I give her a small rev and the light goes off and comes back on again. I hit the kill switch and pull over. As I get the bike on the sidestand, a small puddle of oil forms under the bike - maybe a pint or so. Turns out I forgot to tighten the drain plug (doh!). Since it was like 7pm, all the bike shops were closed already. Turns out the oil plug from a Honda Civic found at the local auto parts store is the same part.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I had finished a valve adjustment on the front cylinder and it was time to put on the cylinder head cover. The manual said to put sealant on the semicircular cut-outs on the cylinder head.
What for? I asked myself. There's a gasket there. I didn't have to do it on my Hawk GT. I don't need no stinking sealant, I thought.
Did I start the bike before I put the fairing on? No. I put everything together, put on my riding gear and started it up.
Well the VTR has one hell of an oil pump and the area under the cylinder head cover gets a lot of oil. If I'd done the job right, the oil would have stayed where it belonged. It didn't stay where it belonged. I use sealant on the semicircular cut-outs now.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Squid

ryan is on a distinguished road
i guess the stupid thing i do is to never use the kill switch. i turn it off with the key. are you supposed to use it when parked or something?
Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
i drained my battery at a gas station trying to start the beast with the kill switch off! pushed it a mile back home and realized what i did when i hooked up the batt. tender.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ryan
i guess the stupid thing i do is to never use the kill switch. i turn it off with the key. are you supposed to use it when parked or something?
The only difference between using the killswitch and the key is that lights and such stay on... Useful beside the road at night possibly...

I regularily use the key... Since everytime I DO use the switch I forget to re-set it... Doh!

Quick Reply: Goof ups