General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Does anyone know this aftermarket exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
Does anyone know this aftermarket exhaust system?

I'm in the market for a set of aftermarket slip-ons for my bone stock superhawk and I wonder how good the "Viper" exhaust system is compared to Jardine, D&D or Yoshi...etc?

It's been on ebay for a while now (they've either sold many or none) and the price is very attractive, too. Just didn't know how good these are and what kind of brand name is it.

I'm a little tight on my budget and just wanted something inexpansive for now I guess. Any answers would be helpful, thanks!!

BTW, anyone wanna trade for my OEM pipes (3000 miles and nice looking)? So this way I can save some money for my car repair....
Old 11-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VTR10...spagenameZWD1V

Sorry...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
i cant speak for the exhaust

but ive bought many items from that seller/shop, always a pleasant experience
Old 11-29-2006, 06:14 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I have no experience with them but how bad could they be? Too bad I found a couple pairs of standard mount slip ons (WMP's) I posted on here a few days ago. They had them in kevlar, and also aluminum. Both $225 plus shipping. Too bad I don't see any left. Nor do I see the new pair of black powdercoat Jardines-they were @ the same price as the Vipers. If you're really on a budget why not just take the baffle out of your stockers? It costs nothing and when I did it I removed the first baffle and put some holes in the second, and no lie they sounded as good as any aftermarket pipes. Besides the Vipers they're selling look so much like the stockers anyway. Also check out ebay Item number: 110061744163. Look like a nice pair of used Jardines.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:14 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
What the Captain says about the stockers is true! Way inexpensive - way good sound until you can afford what you really want. Let's face it - at a hundred miles an hour they can't tell you what the pipes looked like - they can only tell you what they SOUND like!
Old 11-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I have no experience with them but how bad could they be? Too bad I found a couple pairs of standard mount slip ons (WMP's) I posted on here a few days ago. They had them in kevlar, and also aluminum. Both $225 plus shipping. Too bad I don't see any left. Nor do I see the new pair of black powdercoat Jardines-they were @ the same price as the Vipers. If you're really on a budget why not just take the baffle out of your stockers? It costs nothing and when I did it I removed the first baffle and put some holes in the second, and no lie they sounded as good as any aftermarket pipes. Besides the Vipers they're selling look so much like the stockers anyway. Also check out ebay Item number: 110061744163. Look like a nice pair of used Jardines.
PSSST...WHAT ? no pomotional material for my D &Ds?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:48 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by calitoz
PSSST...WHAT ? no pomotional material for my D &Ds?

I'm sorry Lou. I thought they were sold already!
Old 11-30-2006, 06:53 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I looked at 'em too a few months back and to me they look somewhat like a staintune.

I know nothing more about them but I almost pulled the trigger on buying because: 1) all Brit motorcycle stuff I've bought in the past has been above avg in quality and 2) the great price.

But I found a set of basically new microns instead.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:34 AM
Squid
Squid

The Hawk Guy
THANKS GUYS!!

I will go to Greg's Honda Literbike's pagea to see if I can have my stockers modified, thanks again!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:59 AM
MotoGP

When I did my stockers I didn't take it as far as the bafflectomy recommends. Because the sound of an exhaust system is so subjective - everybody has their own interpretation of what sounds good - just as my kid about his CBR - I wanted to sneak up on this. I took a 3/8" drill bit and cut holes just as close as I coule get them around the exit pipe flange. Because of how close I wanted the holes I used a center punch and hit it hard so the bit would not skip out. I left the pipes on the bike while I did all this. I guess when I started out I was ready to complete the operation but I started the bike after drilling both cans and was pleasantly surprised. I was not looking for an open header type sound - this was low, had a good bite when the throttle was advanced It's time for a test drive! Same thing - good solid throaty idle, good on the throttle with power coming on but when I got on the road the decel was the best part. This dam thing will rattle the windows on a Lexus when you're shuttin' her down. Haven't changed a thing since! This doesn't mean that I won't - I just won't right now!

Awright, Lou, I saw one of your deals blew up and I didn't understand until the other night which one did. If I do the black exhaust headers/middie to high mount/cans look on my 'Hawk these cans might fit in. How bad did you rash the left can?
Old 11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nuhawk
When I did my stockers I didn't take it as far as the bafflectomy recommends. Because the sound of an exhaust system is so subjective - everybody has their own interpretation of what sounds good - just as my kid about his CBR - I wanted to sneak up on this. I took a 3/8" drill bit and cut holes just as close as I coule get them around the exit pipe flange. Because of how close I wanted the holes I used a center punch and hit it hard so the bit would not skip out. I left the pipes on the bike while I did all this. I guess when I started out I was ready to complete the operation but I started the bike after drilling both cans and was pleasantly surprised. I was not looking for an open header type sound - this was low, had a good bite when the throttle was advanced It's time for a test drive! Same thing - good solid throaty idle, good on the throttle with power coming on but when I got on the road the decel was the best part. This dam thing will rattle the windows on a Lexus when you're shuttin' her down. Haven't changed a thing since! This doesn't mean that I won't - I just won't right now!

Awright, Lou, I saw one of your deals blew up and I didn't understand until the other night which one did. If I do the black exhaust headers/middie to high mount/cans look on my 'Hawk these cans might fit in. How bad did you rash the left can?
tis not bad at all....But why would you want another set of D&D's? Try the two brothers.

http://img54.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cansxo0.jpg

BTW...I got my WMPs pipes today....looks good but kinda weird I think, being yellow and weaved...Not sure how long these things would last given that they typically still uses resins...Heat and resin....no no....but we'll see.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:11 PM
MotoGP

That's all? That's nothing! You prob missed the pic but I used one of the D&D's on the VFR just because they were on the shelf and I hated the stocker on the VFR. I did a semi-bafflectomy on the VTR stockers and I like the sound. Now to put the two together > this is the drift. I had a good experience with the guys at the muffler shop down the street when they bent the middie for the VFR high mount. If I sandblast my headers and the new middies and paint them black - I've got an all black exhaust except for the end caps on the cans! Make any sense to you? You think the flat black pipes would look bad with the gloss black cans? BTW what kind of deal did you have that collapsed? I remember reading it was about the exchange/shipping or something - sorry it didn't work out but it did get me thinking!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

Originally Posted by nuhawk
That's all? That's nothing! You prob missed the pic but I used one of the D&D's on the VFR just because they were on the shelf and I hated the stocker on the VFR. I did a semi-bafflectomy on the VTR stockers and I like the sound. Now to put the two together > this is the drift. I had a good experience with the guys at the muffler shop down the street when they bent the middie for the VFR high mount. If I sandblast my headers and the new middies and paint them black - I've got an all black exhaust except for the end caps on the cans! Make any sense to you? You think the flat black pipes would look bad with the gloss black cans? BTW what kind of deal did you have that collapsed? I remember reading it was about the exchange/shipping or something - sorry it didn't work out but it did get me thinking!
You sand the pipe down?...looks neat. I might do that to my hindles.....

The deal was $175 +shipping...Initially I was going to sell them for $195 but since I got a deal on the "kevlars", I just reduce the price. The deal was never confirmed ..BTW these ones will come with the midpipes....
Old 11-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Squid

Mendo Dave is on a distinguished road
I've got the two brothers slip ons. before the two brothers cans I did the hole drilling thing.
I actually rode around for a few weeks looking for super hawks with aftermarket cans on them. After looking and listening to about a half different ones I found that the two brothers cans sounded the best.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:51 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, Lou, the pipe got hit with rubbing compound then a modest buffing with Mothers Miniball & Polishing Compound. For the half-assed effort the pipe turned out OK. I really think I could get the pipes inside the passenger pegs and still get them high like I did on the VFR. I thought it all looked pretty cool for $60 and off the shelf parts. If I could find some really cheap cans I've thought about sandblasting the whole set all the way back and do it all in matte. The pipes are going to go matte no matter what because of the heat - so paint the whole thing flat black and be done with it. Maybe I'll buy the new exhaust for the VFR and use your old cans for the matte treatment on the VTR. I'm not so worried about the entire exhaust thing now anyway because I'm gearing up to do the suspension on the bike. That's where the big bucks are going next - the rest of this is just playin' around. Although $175 is not bad! I've seen the Kevlar treatment. It should look good with the Silver but it IS different!
Old 11-30-2006, 05:55 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave! I wish I could find a bunch of Hawks with different cans to compare. There's only one other rider on the forum from anyplace close to me and I have never seen a group of Superhawks anyplace in Austin. CBR's and VTX's rule!
Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Hey Lou. I know in addition to alum and carbon Mig also makes/made carbon kevlar cans as well that look like the ones you got. I don't imagine they should be any less durable than carbon fiber. In the limited experience I have laying carbon fiber it's done just like fiberglass. It comes in dry sheets you cut and apply resin on as well. Anyway if the pipes suck I'll feel responsible and I'll buy them from you at a discount I have heard that over time carbon is not the best thing for a big twin exhaust between the heat and the vibes. I also read that the LeoVinci's (and maybe some others?) are supposed to have a metal lining to keep some heat off the carbon. I UNFORTUNATELY don't have nearly enough miles on mine to confirm how well they wear.