Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus

Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/

Donald Leu, a researcher from the University of Connecticut, conducted a U.S. Department of Education-funded study of Internet literacy among so-called `digital natives', fabricating the tree octopus to test students' ability to evaluate information they find on the Internet.

Apparently a lot of students believed it, even when told that the whole thing was a big hoax.

Check out the FAQ.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:42 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
I thought it was a hoot! My education is still working.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
"Why are Sasquatch allowed to gather Tree Octopuses if the octopuses are endangered?
No one allows a Sasquatch to do anything; they just do it."

Best Q&A ever
Old 02-14-2011, 08:10 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Do you intend to turn the ZPi website into a profitable e-business?

ZPi isn't about money, but rather the synergizing of empowerment with interpersonal paradigms and the wielding of initiative to innovate innovative innovations. I fear focusing on selling t-shirts and mugs would only get in the way.

hahahaha... innovate innovative innovations... oh man, that one gets a chuckle.

But seriously, I kind of want to know more about the study- like how old the participants were. And if I should believe it... wait... maybe the study is really a hoax to fool the people who don't believe the first hoax...
Old 02-15-2011, 07:04 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I am just about a "digital native" having had a computer in my house since before I can remember and internet in the house since 14 yrs old. I read the conclusions to this study and I have a hard time believing that the "internet is making kids dumber", which is how this is being spun by the media.

Now I do agree that we all need to understand that not everything we read or see on the web is from a reliable source, and we need to teach kids (and adults) how to tell if a website is reliable, and how to cross-check information. But the internet is no different in that respect from other types of media where people get information. Edit: The following bolded text is a joke: Even old geezers like 8541Hawk huddled around the family radio when he was a kid, but how did he know that info was reliable? It often wasn't. Remember "Dewey defeats Truman? Ask 8541Hawk if you don't, because he remembers it like yesterday, although he doesn't remember what he ate for breakfast. At least the internet allows for quick cross-checking of info across multiple sites, and usually you can get to the source within a few clicks.

This whole "tree octopus" thing is being blown out of proportion by adults who are worried about threats to their kids (this time it's the big mean internet). There is a scare of some sort in every generation.

And these are kids. Is it really the internet's fault that they believed this crap? Would they have dismissed it if they read it in an encyclopedia instead? Or in the library? Or heard it from the town crier?

Edit: This is also a joke:
Or like 8541Hawk, read it in a cave painting?

At least on the internet, if you type "tree octopus" into google, the third hit is wikipedia saying it's a hoax, followed by multiple articles talking about how it was a study on internet literacy.

And to be serious for a second, where did you get the information for your original post? Because I don't think it's a reliable source. As best I can find, Donald Leu did not "fabricate" the tree octopus story. This story has been around since 1998, originally created by Lyle Zapato. Dr. Leu used the website for his funded research, but he did not create the website or the idea of a tree octopus. I think you need to check your sources. Edit: The preceding paragraph was intended to point out what I considered to be a humorous error in your original post. It is humorous because the study presented in the original post is about the ability of children to discern between reliable and unreliable information on the internet, yet the post contains unreliable information.

Last edited by evines; 02-15-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Edited to make my humor clearer to Marines over the age of 59.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Sounds like someone is a bit butt hurt over a little humor......

but hey throw a couple more childish insults around if it make you feel like a big adult.....

Have a nice day......

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 02-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I put this together for my kids just to help out!

http://zapatopi.net/treeoctopus/tric...ee_octopus.pdf
Old 02-15-2011, 09:49 AM
Back Marker

thefitzvh is on a distinguished road
I don't think the internet is making kids dumber.

I think the internet is more and more accessible.

Which allows it to be within reach of the already dumb kids.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

but hey throw a couple more childish insults around if it make you feel like a big adult.....

Have a nice day......
*makes mental note that 8541Hawk does not like jokes about his age or semi-serious posts about studies involving tree octopusus*

I edited my original post to hopefully clear things up. No harm intended.

By the way, do you like Marine jokes? Because I can change them to Marine jokes if that would be funnier.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:27 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
An interesting study as there are frighteningly many adults who believe in:

pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, rumor-mongering, anti-science propaganda, anti-government paranoia, evangelical religious propaganda, psychic nonsense, astrological nonsense, chemtrails, and unlimited delusionary earthquake prediction fanciers.

Scarily gathered in this US based forum under a dark rock where gullibility and ignorance is actively promoted.

http://www.earthboppin.net
Old 02-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Back Marker

Cyfac0183 is on a distinguished road
umm-can we put together a superhawks for tree octopodes charity- and I can't find a link to donate money to the tree octopodes rescue anywhere?

Last edited by Cyfac0183; 02-15-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
One of the things I am sure that get passed down from generation to generation is cynicism.

Yup, kids ain't stupid and can spot a lame survey from a mile away and are not above tweaking the response curve with less than honest replies. Expand that concept and one begins to doubt the veracity of any media poll. Mix that with questions worded to elicit desired responses then have it read by a bubble headed bleach blond and away we go.

Tree squids are next.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:25 AM
SuperBike

One of my favourite hoaxes was this one http://www.joeyskaggs.com/html/dog.html

Original letter http://www.joeyskaggs.com/html/doghook/dogltr.pdf

Kea So Joo,
a.k.a. Dog Meat Soup
May 1994, New York, New York

In May of 1994, Kim Yung Soo (a.k.a. Joey Skaggs), President of Kea So Joo, Inc. sent 1,500 letters to dog shelters around America soliciting all their unwanted dogs for $.10 a pound. The letter said in part, "Dog shelter kill million of dog, cost money...Dog shelter need money to operate. Where it get money? Hard to get money. Many people like to eat dog...Where do they get dog?...We buy all dog, regardless of size or color. We prefer big, young strong dog, but we take all dog from your dog shelter.

"Lot people eat dog...Dog is healthy for you...You make more money, more people happy. You get cleaner air. No burn up dog. No waste dog. People pet no disappear. Everybody happy...Dog no suffer. We have quick death for dog."

And so on, and so forth.

The outrage was palpable. Kea So Joo's telephone rang off the hook. The outgoing message, in both Korean and English, was punctuated by yapping dogs in the background. But it couldn't keep up with the incoming calls and faxes.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 AM
Back Marker

Obviously the dog thing is a hoax, but what about this tree octopus thing?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM
SuperBike

Do cows lay eggs? Potato or Tomato?

A lot of kids can't identify basic foodstuffs as evidenced on UK chef Jamie Oliver going into schools (UK and USA) and having ID parades for common things like tomatoes, cauliflower, eggplant, beets and the kids not knowing what they were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=bGYs4KS_djg

If all they know is prepackaged and processed then what hope have you got when confronted with a Tree Octopus face hugger

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
One of the things I am sure that get passed down from generation to generation is cynicism.

Yup, kids ain't stupid and can spot a lame survey from a mile away and are not above tweaking the response curve with less than honest replies. Expand that concept and one begins to doubt the veracity of any media poll. Mix that with questions worded to elicit desired responses then have it read by a bubble headed bleach blond and away we go.

Tree squids are next.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
moto gp wannabe
Squid

dutchdude is on a distinguished road
I saw this story on the local news-
the study was done with top level 4th graders i believe-
the point of the news story i saw was that "internet only"research is not enough, especially for students that should be getting taught the basics of research.
googling a topic is not research-
I thought this was a good story to tell - since I do live in the pacific NW and can swear to the extreme rarity of the tree octipus- (they are even harder to track down than a sasqautch,yeti,unicorn,dragon,or sea monsters.)
If you ever do have the oppurtunity to try some tree octipus i recomend dipping it in ranch dressing to help cover the nasty Pine tree taste and following it up with a draft beer.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by evines
*makes mental note that 8541Hawk does not like jokes about his age or semi-serious posts about studies involving tree octopusus*

I edited my original post to hopefully clear things up. No harm intended.

By the way, do you like Marine jokes? Because I can change them to Marine jokes if that would be funnier.
Well I can play that game also...... *makes note that evines takes stuff he reads here very personally and then instead of having a conversation on why he feels that way believes it is appropriate to personally attack the poster and when called on, claim it was all a joke......

*Also always hit the quote button when replying to evines as he will run back and change his post to try and make himself look better....

As for jokes about my age or the Corps, bring it on. Do you even know how old I actually am? Do you really think you can come up with a joke about the Corps I haven't heard?
Old 02-15-2011, 01:43 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
As for jokes about my age or the Corps, bring it on. Do you even know how old I actually am? Do you really think you can come up with a joke about the Corps I haven't heard?
We all know you are a Highlander and founded the Corps in one of your previous pseudo identities.

Though be careful Hawkrider is one too and may come for your thread count: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20962
Old 02-15-2011, 05:08 PM
Superstock

Well I can play that game also...... *makes note that evines takes stuff he reads here very personally and then instead of having a conversation on why he feels that way believes it is appropriate to personally attack the poster and when called on, claim it was all a joke......

*Also always hit the quote button when replying to evines as he will run back and change his post to try and make himself look better....

The only changes I made were to bold the jokes that were already there and add "edit" notes in italics. My entire original post is still there. I didn't delete anything.

And you are correct, I took this very personally. The tree octopus should not be taken lightly. This is an endangered species and I am personally offended when people call it a big hoax. You called me out, and I reacted by calling my obviously serious comments a joke. I am ashamed of myself, but even more, I am ashamed that I drew the attention of this thread away from the plight of the endangered tree octopus.

To correct this wrong I have done, I am accepting donations to my paypal account that will go directly to a University of Washington lab that is breeding the tree octopus in hopes of releasing them to their natural habitat and supporting their dwindling numbers. To make them more sexually appealing, they have genetically engineered the octopusus with extra long legs that are super toned and sexy. PM me if you are interested in donating.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by evines
To correct this wrong I have done, I am accepting donations to my paypal account that will go directly to a University of Washington lab that is breeding the tree octopus in hopes of releasing them to their natural habitat and supporting their dwindling numbers. To make them more sexually appealing, they have genetically engineered the octopusus with extra long legs that are super toned and sexy. PM me if you are interested in donating.
Looks like someone had a hard time reading the FAQ's.......

If you must give money to ease your conscience, donations to help the Tree Octopus should be given directly to the Tree Octopuses. Here is how to donate: Travel to the Olympic Peninsula (if you are a minor, ask your parents first). Stand in the Tree Octopuses' forest near a tree and hold out a dollar bill. If you stand still enough, eventually a Tree Octopus will come by on a branch, reach out, and take the bill with her suckers. She will continue to return for more bills as long as you hold them out, so bring lots of singles. She will use them to line her den in the trees, as the bills will soak up rain water and keep her skin moist. Given the current value of the dollar, this is the most cost effective way to help.
Please note: don't give them coins. While they are attracted to shiny objects and will gladly take coins, the toxic metals in coins (especially copper) can easily absorb into their skin and poison them. Paper money, checks, stock certificates, coupons, etc. are preferable and make better nesting material.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cyfac0183
Obviously the dog thing is a hoax
Not really, some neighborhoods no longer have a stray dog and cat problem...just sayin'.

After all, in some cultures it's forbidden to eat beef. In others, they eat what is available.

But I've tried octopus and whether they live in trees or not, it's like chewing on rubber.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:04 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road

Have a nice day......
Truely Humorous 8541HAWK, It is a good thing, us out of service marines "Have a sense of Humor".... There would be alot less childish civilians in the world....
Old 02-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Not really, some neighborhoods no longer have a stray dog and cat problem...just sayin'.

After all, in some cultures it's forbidden to eat beef. In others, they eat what is available.

But I've tried octopus and whether they live in trees or not, it's like chewing on rubber.

You have to go to the right place to get non rubber octopus- if it tastes like the consistency of rubber- you pretty much got hosed- and octopus sushi is pretty tasty- not inner tube rubber at all- as for the tree octopus- i don't know if you can eat them or not- they seem pretty rare-
Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Wrench Bender
Squid

mhaisten is on a distinguished road
Get ready for more and more of the "studies". Since we don't do much in this country to produce things of value, people start making up S#!t like this to get money. They even make sure they get enough to make donations to other scammers, oops, I meant researchers to keep them going to. The more people do something stupid, the more mainstream it is.

Why can't people just get a job that produces something worthwhile and go ride their Hawks!!!!?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:45 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Since a good percentage of high school seniors in this country couldn't even point out the Great Lakes on a map, why should they doubt the existence of the endangered tree octopus.

And hey, new job opportunity...Our Government is now planning on giving a tax break to mothers who breast feed. The IRS will certainly need to hire people to monitor this new program.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 02-16-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Back Marker

I already own a shirt that says free mammograms- now I need one that says breast feeding inspector- So many shirts to wear- so many *****