Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

'70 280SL

Old 03-25-2016, 10:23 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
'70 280SL

For a friend of my sister-in law (not actually, but this simplifies the
relation) I took on the task of a full service on a 1970 Mercedes 280SL.
After re-torquing the head I got ready to adjust the valves. Checked the fit of a 17mm crows foot (Mercedes has at least 3 factory tools to do the adjust, photo 5) on the ball pin adjuster. Fit was very sloppy. Crows foot measured ~17.15mm. Info from the web warns against rounding off the hex adjuster. Yeah, no ****! Removing the rocker arm looks to be a PITA! That's what has to happen it the adjuster get ****'ed. A 16mm crows foot of course won't fit. So I got out a file and opened up the 16mm to about 16.85mm. This produced a snug fit the required a light tap with the ratchet handle to fully engage the hex adjuster. As the engine was still warm I only tried the valves that were in position and the modified tool worked fine. Breaking the near frozen adjuster loose with a loud snap. After that the adjuster moved freely and over the minimum spec'd torque. Today I'll finish up with the adjustment and button up. Then on to the rest.

'70 280SL-img_0082.jpg

'70 280SL-img_0085.jpg
Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Sometimes you have to modify your tools to get the job done. I have a half dozen tools that I modified or built from scratch, because I didn't want to pay the price for the actual tool.

I really like those 280SL's. Never had the opportunity to own one or even work on one. Looks to be fun!
Old 03-25-2016, 09:07 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
So this is charity work?
Old 03-26-2016, 06:58 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
So this is charity work?
No. I'm not going to do free work any more. It doesn't pay enough.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 AM
Squid

Maico88 is on a distinguished road
the 280sl is one of the few Mercedes that I would like to have.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:20 AM
SuperBike

When the car was then new I remember thinking how cool they looked. While this car is in very good condition for a 40 year old vehicle, it is 40 years old. The design/engineering is even older.
It still is very secure feeling while driving. Still taught and relatively rattle free. It is built solid. Overbuilt might describe it better.
The lack of a fifth speed is noticeable at higher speeds. Maybe the auto trans was better. The motor certainly has more than enough torque to handle a tall (overdrive) gearing.
If it were mine I would sell it. Values for these are over a wide range, $7000-$50k. Not sure who would pay that much, but... That would get you a nice car and a couple motos with change left over.

Search this Thread