Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

Something New - Billet Machined Shift Lever

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:32 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Thanks Tweety, yet another great idea! Please post up pics when you get them done

I've considered adjustable rearsets, but not sure what the big deal is about +/-10mm....can you enlighten me?
RC
I have said it before... It's not the ideas that I lack... It's the time...

Basicly the stock CBR rearsets have two bolts (I think they are 50mm apart?) that attach to the frame on those bikes...

If you have a plate with a bolt hole for the swingarmbolt, the exhaust hanger and the lower bolt to keep it from rotating, you can attach a unmodified 954 rearset to a VTR and get it positoned close to stock location...

Then you drill another set of holes 10mm higher, another 10mm lower and so on... a set 10mm forward and 10mm raised for instance... You then end up with a matrix of holes where you can choose your position yourself...

Easy peasy... in theory...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I've thought about it, and the idea of using some CBR rearsets is a good one. Frankly, I've just been too busy with other projects to focus on something like this. I've got a whole list of things I'd like to start making for the VTR's. Hopefully the rearsets will be one of those things!
Since I'm going to do the measuring anyway and going to have a friend help me do the milling at his work off hours... What files/software are you using?

If it's possble just to convert the files he makes (or just send them) I'd gladly email you them...
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Since I'm going to do the measuring anyway and going to have a friend help me do the milling at his work off hours... What files/software are you using?

If it's possble just to convert the files he makes (or just send them) I'd gladly email you them...

Sure man, that would be fine. I can import most file formats, when you get to that point let me know and we can work out the details. Thanks!
Old 01-29-2009, 10:49 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Thanks Tweety, yet another great idea! Please post up pics when you get them done

I've considered adjustable rearsets, but not sure what the big deal is about +/-10mm....can you enlighten me?
RC

granted 10mm may not be much which is why adjustability is important.

changing the position will /can increase lean angle & put the rider in a better position ( bias the weight forward ).

looking at this picture... there is a limit to just raising the peg as my leg is bent about as far as it can. moving the peg back will allow me to lay forward more and open up the leg, which will allow the peg to be raised.

tim
Old 01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trinc
granted 10mm may not be much which is why adjustability is important.

changing the position will /can increase lean angle & put the rider in a better position ( bias the weight forward ).

looking at this picture... there is a limit to just raising the peg as my leg is bent about as far as it can. moving the peg back will allow me to lay forward more and open up the leg, which will allow the peg to be raised.

tim
Okay, that clears it up! Nice lean angle bro
RC
Old 01-29-2009, 11:08 AM
Trouble Makers Union 510
Squid

Roundboy is on a distinguished road
OK i'm interested....sending PM
Old 03-03-2009, 04:59 PM
SuperBike

Just for those who are interested - I've got another batch of parts in. PM me for details. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 AM
Superstock

Scumbag is an unknown quantity at this point
So whats goin on?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:57 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Scumbag
So whats goin on?
Not much, how 'bout you?

On a serious note, I'm going to keep these shift levers on hand so if anyone is interested I'll be able to ship in just a couple of days lead time. Later on this spring I'll be finishing up the work on the matching brake lever as well. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Oh sure, making brake levers too... gonna make me spend more money now.....
Old 04-07-2009, 06:21 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
It's cool to have your custom parts available here on the forum, Jamie. Not that I can invest $$ in them, but I appreciate seeing the craftsmanship. Someday I hope to have the scratch together to put some of your fine work on my bike.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:40 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
It's cool to have your custom parts available here on the forum, Jamie. Not that I can invest $$ in them, but I appreciate seeing the craftsmanship. Someday I hope to have the scratch together to put some of your fine work on my bike.

Thanks man! My goal is to try and keep the costs as low as possible in order to make these parts affordable to the most number of people. One of my targets with the shift lever was the cost of a stock part ($75 or so). In a perfect world it would be cheaper than a stock replacement, and that is something that I'm still working on for this part.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Squid

SandboxNinja is on a distinguished road
+1 Just got it in the mail today. Took a bit longer than expected but Jaime let me know it was delayed so not really an issue, and you can't beat it for the price imo. GREAT GREAT GREAT. If you're on the fence. Buy one now.

On a side note... I highly recommend Mercury Quicksilver 2-4-C as a lube. It's made for marine applications but it's waterproof and slicker 'n whale snot. Found some at my local boat store.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Jamie, what is the status of the matching brake lever?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:41 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by reaper
Jamie, what is the status of the matching brake lever?

It's still in the planning stages. I'm still super busy, I haven't even pulled any of my VF's out of winter storage yet.... and it's June. At least I've been able to ride the VTR! It's probably going to be a couple of months before I can have anything significant done on the brake lever.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Trouble Makers Union 510
Squid

Roundboy is on a distinguished road
Just got in a wreck...do you have replacements for just the part your toe shifts with?? the part with the rubber around it?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Roundboy
Just got in a wreck...do you have replacements for just the part your toe shifts with?? the part with the rubber around it?
Sure, shoot me an e-mail off forum and I'll get one going for you right away.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Roundboy
No parts for BARFers........ lol
Old 08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
JD, im in agreement with tweety. id really like to see a rearset adapter for the sh to allow us to use less rare rearsets that cost way less haha.

also id like to make a suggestion (not a request). could u make the lever backwards a la vfr style? looking for a more asthetically pleasing solution for gp shift on my rc51 and im sure others are too (though im not committed to doing the gp shift plunge yet). vfr pedals just dont look all that great haha. dont forget the black anodizing/powder coating :] wonder if theres any interest in that?
Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
JD, im in agreement with tweety. id really like to see a rearset adapter for the sh to allow us to use less rare rearsets that cost way less haha.

I agree, that would be cool. It's a totally different project though, I wanted to offer something that was low cost (about the same as a new stock part) and would add some upgraded performance. I bent my stock lever just from the years of use!

also id like to make a suggestion (not a request). could u make the lever backwards a la vfr style? looking for a more asthetically pleasing solution for gp shift on my rc51 and im sure others are too (though im not committed to doing the gp shift plunge yet). vfr pedals just dont look all that great haha.

Yes, I've thought of doing this. My TODO list of design ideas is pretty long so I'm not sure when I would get it.

dont forget the black anodizing/powder coating :] wonder if theres any interest in that?
I'd shy away from powdercoating on a part like this, I think it would look cheap. Anodizing is ok and not too expensive if you have a quanity of parts to spread the lot charge accross. Right now I'm making these levers in small batches so it probably doesn't make sense. It's something I'd love to do in the future if possible.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
haha either way JD, it's way refreshing seeing someone manufacturing parts dude. props for that. be sure to keep us posted whenever you/your projects make some more progress :]
Old 08-05-2009, 09:45 AM
SuperBike

haha either way JD, it's way refreshing seeing someone manufacturing parts dude. props for that. be sure to keep us posted whenever you/your projects make some more progress :]
No problem man, I do what I can. I always like to get ideas for new stuff, so don't hesitate to e-mail me if there is something you want!
Old 10-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Hey Jamie are you still making shift levers?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Does that shift lever make the bike any faster?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by super duper hawk
Well, if we want to over-think this and theorize, YES smartass, it might. Notice that there are two different connecting rod positions and two lengths for your foot. So you can customize it to benefit you the most.

While you have it apart, you can also adjust the lever position at the transmission, like Greg has posted in the KB, to make your shifts shorter, or you can effectively shorten the connecting rod to make your shifts shorter.

This all adds up to shifting faster, keeping the revs in the power band, and yes, your bike will be faster up to speed. (key words there, up to speed, not overall top speed).

Any other questions smartass? or will you refrain from useless posts in the future?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well if you are missing shifts with the stock lever, and this one makes it so that you don't.. then yes! lol But in the strictest meaning of that question, no.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 AM
VTS
OCMD honorary member
Superstock

VTS is on a distinguished road
I'm in

Jamie,

I'm in, I will be ordering one of these shift levers when I send you my F4i rear shock as well. It will be soon, just working on the moolah. You can count on me.

I'm also interested in the brake pedal too....

How about making some chain guards for folks. Mine is a CNC part from Japan. I powdercoated it. You could put your own twist on it.
Attached Thumbnails Something New - Billet Machined Shift Lever-copy-dsc_0022.jpg  
Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by salmanilla2000
Hey Jamie are you still making shift levers?

You bet! In fact, I have some of them sitting on the shelf ready to go right now. I've not been pushing them very much lately because I've been busy doing other things (suspension work). Luckily I made up several sets last time so that I have them ready to ship out right away for future orders.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Erik S.
Well, if we want to over-think this and theorize, YES smartass, it might. Notice that there are two different connecting rod positions and two lengths for your foot. So you can customize it to benefit you the most.

While you have it apart, you can also adjust the lever position at the transmission, like Greg has posted in the KB, to make your shifts shorter, or you can effectively shorten the connecting rod to make your shifts shorter.

This all adds up to shifting faster, keeping the revs in the power band, and yes, your bike will be faster up to speed. (key words there, up to speed, not overall top speed).

Any other questions smartass? or will you refrain from useless posts in the future?
Yes I do have one more question duma$$.Will a billet rear brake lever make it stop better to?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:39 PM
SuperBike

Yes I do have one more question duma$$.Will a billet rear brake lever make it stop better to?

I sure hope so, I've been planning to make one of those too!

Quick Reply: Something New - Billet Machined Shift Lever