Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank

Old 03-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank

Clearly I have lost my mind. I find that I am mainly only commuting on the hawk anymore, and therefore don't mind the frequent fill-ups from the stock tank. But as anybody who has the stock tank knows, you aren't getting much further than 100mi before the RLOD comes on. The design of the stock tank means that there's a fair amount (maybe nearly a gallon?) of unusable gas sitting in the tank when the bike leaves you stranded.

I have the solution for your problem.

Many moons ago, Harris Performance of the UK used to made a lightweight, handcrafted 24L capacity aluminum tank for the VTR. It sold for about £600 ($900+) and they stopped a long time ago. It was, and is a thing of beauty, and despite the other nice items my bike has, this tank eclipses the Moriwaki Zero Ti exhaust, and the Ohlins shock, hands down. It doesn't get more exclusive than this; You'll look for the next 5 years before you find another tank like this. Because of this, it's probably worth more than a stock '98 superhawk. If your bike averages 35mpg on a road trip (about what I get on long trips) this gives you a 220 mile range, all while being significantly lighter than the stock steel tank (I usually fill up at the 180-ish mark, as the RLOD still worries me). Unlike the stock tank, you can actually get almost every drop out of this tank. It comes with a fuel level sender (a rather pessimistic one at that) and petcock installed, and was professionally painted.

You’ve heard the good, now on to the bad.

It has a quick disconnect cap, which is locking, though I have never had a key for it as long as I've owned the bike. So, you’ll need to take it to a locksmith if you want it lockable. It is painted red, with nice clear coat over the Honda graphics. The tank looks factory, though I will say, the color isn't an exact match for Honda red. In certain lighting, it's apparent. But most of the time it isn't. But then you'd probably want to repaint it if you bike isn't red anyways...
The paint is a 7/10. This is due to the former owner applying a tank pad with exceptionally aggressive adhesive to it, and when it started peeling up around the edges, it removed two pinky fingernail size flecks of paint from the undercoat(Only one is visible when the seat is on). Bummer. There is also a line of abrasion into the paint around where the Corbin seat has been in contact with it over the years. There are various small dings in the paint, which I have attempted to detail in the pictures. The tanks looks really very good.

I will not give it away, and I am going to ask what will sound to some like a ridiculous price: $1500 + actual shipping costs to your location. We can discuss how you would like it packaged so you feel comfortable with its transit. It may not sell, and feel free to ignore this ad if you feel insulted. If it isn’t snapped up by one of you OCMD people (and you know who you are) I’m happy to keep it around for the next time I feel like taking the SH on a long haul. Fact of the matter is, you’ll basically double your range with a beautiful tank that you aren’t likely to find anywhere else. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank-vtr1000f_73.jpg   Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank-dsc_7114.jpg   Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank-vtr1000f_52.jpg   Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank-dsc_7106.jpg   Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank-vtr1000f_70.jpg  

Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
sweet item... GLWS.....
Old 03-31-2013, 12:33 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I really, really do hate you right now wldryce...

GLWS... It's too rich for my blood unfortunately...
Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 AM
road racer v2 power
Superstock
Superstock

lloydievtr is on a distinguished road
**** that's a lot if money .

Last edited by lloydievtr; 03-31-2013 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:01 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
And you live where?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:17 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
You can buy a 2nd hawk for that money. Good luck I fold
Old 03-31-2013, 04:58 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Super Hawk Pro
You can buy a 2nd hawk for that money. Good luck I fold
Actually, two probably... But compared to the price as purchased new, that tank is an absolute steal at $1500... Just FYI...
Old 03-31-2013, 05:06 AM
Back Marker

Super Hawk Pro is on a distinguished road
I know and it would be a nice addition. ..not stopping every 100 miles for go go juice.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:29 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Bloody hell. Aptly titled unobtainium.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't mind stopping every 100 miles - I probably have to pee anyway.

And if I was road tripping where petrol was low - I'd grab some fuel bottles & save myself $1400. Good luck

But YMMV
Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 AM
Squid

bigspanishmarty is on a distinguished road
beautiful tank you have there dude...
its nice to see these ultra rare items are still out there, i know yeti in the uk has the same tank, it would be interesting to contact harris and find out if they could do a small prodution run of them for the original price, i doubt they would tho...
good luck with your sale
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Superstock
Superstock

I'm located in Seattle.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:16 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Oh man, that would be sooooo sweet.....
Old 03-31-2013, 08:37 AM
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by bigspanishmarty
beautiful tank you have there dude...
its nice to see these ultra rare items are still out there, i know yeti in the uk has the same tank, it would be interesting to contact harris and find out if they could do a small prodution run of them for the original price, i doubt they would tho...
good luck with your sale
So, even if they did (and I know you're in Europe, so there's less shipping issue if they made one), even if the price didn't go up a single cent from when they discontinued it back in the early 2000's, that would still translate to about $911 USD, and would come unpainted, and without the sender or petcock. That's in early 2000's pricing. I'm totally aware that it's a lot of money, but a Harris tank always has been.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:47 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
neat piece of equipment. The only other bigger range tank I recall is the carbon fiber ones made by..........I'm blanking on the name right now. And for that right person you might get what you are asking - I certainly hope so and I am soooo glad I don't own mine any longer to be tempted by it! But its a lot and given the, unfortunately, probably not durable in that classic kind of way, appeal of the superhawk I doubt it will do anything but depreciate. You might want to ebay it and see if you can locate that right person while there are still some nutcases like us who like this bike enough to make it special.
GLWS
Old 03-31-2013, 03:37 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
If it is still around in a month then maybe.....got some stuff in the works and need to see how it turns out first.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
It would be cheaper than upgrading bikes,perfect range on the best bike out there!I just wish I had 15hundy laying around!
Old 06-16-2013, 05:01 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
GLWS. Wish I had that much $$ laying around unneeded.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Ok, So I have let most of the major riding season lapse, and am just now following up on this listing. I thought I had a deal worked out with a member, but it seems to have gone quiet so maybe not. So I'll toss it out there; I'd consider partial trade on a set of CBR900rr rear/ CBR600F3 front rims plus cash on your end for the tank.

Love the tank, and will hang on to it until the right deal comes along, but with me just commuting on the SH anymore, don't need the greatly extended range, and have a hard time feeling ok with it sitting in a ding/dent prone parking garage at work.

Cheers,
R
Old 10-17-2013, 06:28 AM
Firestorm13
Squid

firestorm13 is on a distinguished road
Just joined your forum this month and interested if you still have tank for sale? Will pay your price and shipping to Bonnie Scotland.
Stevie C. (Firestorm 13)
Old 10-17-2013, 10:21 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Stevie,

You have a PM.

Thanks,
R
Old 10-18-2013, 09:18 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I'd love to have the tank and it seems a well worth the money mod to me.. But I'm always broke so I think a lot of things I cant afford seem worth the money
Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Carbotex, they also made a carbon frame for our bikes.

Originally Posted by cliby
neat piece of equipment. The only other bigger range tank I recall is the carbon fiber ones made by..........I'm blanking on the name right now. And for that right person you might get what you are asking - I certainly hope so and I am soooo glad I don't own mine any longer to be tempted by it! But its a lot and given the, unfortunately, probably not durable in that classic kind of way, appeal of the superhawk I doubt it will do anything but depreciate. You might want to ebay it and see if you can locate that right person while there are still some nutcases like us who like this bike enough to make it special.
GLWS
Old 10-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Apparently Stevie C. signed up specifically to tease me? Here we are a week later and no reply. Oh well.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:18 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
Anything else on your wishlist(to trade)this could be fun!
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by wyldryce
Apparently Stevie C. signed up specifically to tease me? Here we are a week later and no reply. Oh well.
"Stevie C." is awful close to my real name. If we're going to put someone's reputation in jeopardy, can we stick to user names, please?
Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
"Stevie C." is awful close to my real name. If we're going to put someone's reputation in jeopardy, can we stick to user names, please?
I see no issue here..
That IS what the user in question posted in a public forum
Stevie C. (Firestorm 13)
That more than one person in the world has a similar name is not really a big deal...

You'll be fine,,, unless you are Firestorm 13 posting under a second account
Old 10-25-2013, 12:00 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Stevie C got locked up in Scotland for banging sheep. It was a bad scene.

And to beat U up some more;

IMHO - while I would like a longer range, to add that much weight up top would really throw the balance of the moto out, not worth it. If I want a top heavy moto - I'll go buy a UJM from the late 70's & save myself $500.

Good Luck
Old 10-25-2013, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Apparently Mr. Stevie C. isn't just teasing the OP, but teasing our admins too. Take yer sheep and be off, scoundrel!
Old 11-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Superstock
Superstock

A sunny November "Bump".

nnjhawk02, while you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I can tell you that I barely notice a difference. The aluminum is certainly much lighter than the stock steel tank, so the additional fuel is far less of a penalty than you'd might imagine. Besides, you don't need it to be at full capacity ALL the time.

Besides, does that mean that every bike with reasonable range is a top-heavy pig? Certainly a modded VFR tank with still less range is going to be much heavier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pure Unobtanium: 6.3 Gallon Aluminum Harris Tank